Doctor Who 50th

Well I was very pleased with this.
Given all the hype, there was a need not only to give us a fun and exciting episode, but also to tie up lots of loose threads, and particularly to explain the John Hurt character, and the fact that the doctor was both the doctor (someonewho helps and cures) and the doctor, the “mighty warrior” of the legend of the girl who made birth cloth for Melody/River, et al.
How he could have won the time war and yet stay Davros’s “the man who never carries a gun.”
The references to the past, both new and old doctor where both clever and funny.

I thought QE1 was just right, with her crossover feeling of Black Adder thrown in, and the Rose who wasn’t Rose was wonderful.
Moffat’s main job is to create the main arcs and to tie it all up at the endof each series, and I think he does it brilliantly.
And as others have said, the cameo by Tom Baker was marvelous. That voice, that smile. Who couldn’t be charmed to bits, if you remember him as the fourth doctor?

I liked the extended time and the wider canvas and the increased budget. Pity more former Doctors weren't involved (living ones.)

I also like the idea that the Doctor now has a focus; a mission. I also liked the idea that many loose ends were tidied up (especially the ER I thing.)

I also wonder if the Christmas story will address the Zygons now they have control.

If the Daleks were surrounding Gallifrey and firing on it, what are the odds that as soon as it disappeared that they would all accidentally shoot each other?

They way I read it was that the weapon was still activated, but that just before that Gallirey was frozen in a single moment of time and lost. And now the Doctor will go and find it. Otherwise, I agree with you that Galifrey disappearing and then the Daleks firing at one another is just nonsense.

Do we know if the Zygons have control? The treaty was heading for perfect balance, except for the two Osgoods, who apparently knew who each other were.

Do we know if the Zygons have control? The treaty was heading for perfect balance, except for the two Osgoods, who apparently knew who each other were.
And control over what? I must have blinked, but as far as I can tell, only UNIT and Dr Who's wife's stables have been penetrated. Last time I looked, the UK's National Gallery and the Tower of London weren't the principal centres of world power.

And control over what? I must have blinked, but as far as I can tell, only UNIT and Dr Who's wife's stables have been penetrated. Last time I looked, the UK's National Gallery and the Tower of London weren't the principal centres of world power.

To be fair the only reason that they went for them was that they were UNIT, in charge of the systems that could potentially defeat them. Sited in the last place anyone would look, once they were taken over they could access heads of world Goverments and such like. Perhaps also some of the few people who could alert the world and be believed?

Or so I got from that particular part of the show!:D

But don't they now have access to loads of alien weapons and artefacts like Jack Harkness' coat? Actually, why aren't those things locked up in Torchwood HQ? And didn't Ms. Lethbridge-Stewart mention something about Jack Harkness' death - I thought he lived until he was 999,999,999,999 years old? :confused:

I don't think any Torchwood HQs still exist, do they? TW1 was destroyed in the Doctor Who series two finale, during the battle between the Daleks and Cybermen. TW2, in Glasgow, and TW3 (the subject of the TW series) were disbanded after the Torchwood "Children of Earth" happenings. TW4 (presumably in Ireland) is simply "missing". I can't think of any others that have been mentioned, but one would assume that any that did officially exist would also have been disbanded after the "Children of Earth" happenings.

Lethbridge-Stewart did say that the time bracelet thing was given to the Black Archive upon the event of Cap'n Jack's death... and followed it with: "Well, one of them, at least".

Well Captain Jack is the Face of Bo and dies in the year 5 billion from old age, so at some point he loses time travel ability. I thought the episode showed where the bracelet actually went after the captain lost it. Also Torchwood is long gone at this point, or at least unknown to the audience.

...at some point he loses time travel ability.
Maybe just a case of been there, done that, don't want to go back!

I thought the episode showed where the bracelet actually went after the captain lost it.
What I'd like to see is where it came from - more of the distant planet on which he had a brother - or the organisation that he stole it from (possibly the same one Sara Kingdom and Bret Vyon worked for.)(Space Security Agents in Hartnell era)

Torchwood is long gone at this point, or at least unknown to the audience.
Yes, funny how people can so quickly forget the Battle of Canary Wharf. Or maybe it never happened? [Looks out of window] Yes, it's still there!

it. is a programme for children, it is never going to be much. They do okay. Expecting more ignores the context.

Kind of dull with whizz bang moments.

As a (fairly) casual Dr Who fan, I thought that the 50th anniversary was a lot of fun - nice to see David Tennant back (his speech to the rabbit was hilarious), great to see the cast and crew poking gentle fun at Matt Smith (unable to talk without flapping his hands), John Hurt was great, with a nice light touch rather than a doom n gloom merchant. Good to see the various other doctors, even if only in a few old clips/ slightly dodgy lookin' CGI/waxworks. Quick glimpse of Peter Capaldi, too, and a lovely cameo by Tom Baker.

All in all, good fun.

I would have like to have Christopher Eccleston in Day the Doctor. But you can't have everything. As for Day of the Doctor, I liked it, a lot.