Harry Potter

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Finally picked up the first Harry Potter book, for research purposes.

Thought Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone was outstanding - tightly written, lovely small details, and enough conflict to keep you engaged emotionally. It was clever and insightful. A classic. I can understand the hype from this book alone.

However, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets I never felt happy about. The plot felt convoluted as if it was trying to be too clever, the start with the Weasley's felt messy, and it just never felt as controlled a story. I just didn't enjoy it anywhere as much but I'll continue with the series.

I remember having to read the first book twice BECAUSE of the small details (felt I missed too much the first time thru). Have fun with the rest of the read, Brian. Might we inquire as to the nature of the research, or is it a state secret? :cool:

Oh, it was research into how Rowling uses conflict in HP. Apparently she's very good at it - certainly in the first book, though wasn't so convinced in the second.

I've not read any HPs and not likely to, but out of interest, Brian, when you say 'tightly written'... One of the biggest criticisms I've seen of her work is that she overuses adverbs, did you see any of that or...?

You know, I never enjoyed HP as a kid. I read the first chapter at 12 years old and put it down. I think I'll try again as I feel I'd appreciate it more.

I enjoy JK Rowling's writing style and even enjoyed the Casual Vacancy. Her writing brings the characters to life and her voice doesn't sound like it attended the same creative writing course as every other writer out there.

I'm not a huge fan (took two years after the release to read Deathly Hallows) but I read the first four in two days I was hooked.

Heh, those adverbs! Oh yeeeeah, I remember those, I say stiffly. ;)

I loved the series, personally. It took me the first three or four books to get into, but I persevered - and it was worth it. Then I got lost in all the hype surrounding each forthcoming book. Rowling has an engaging voice and a way with characters. The characters made the series humorous and fun even as it got darker (though I could have gleefully punched Harry when he had his "stroppy phase" ;)).

I'm just not sure I liked some of Rowling's endings or partner-choices. Some stretched my suspension of disbelief...

All in all, an entertaining light-to-dark read with a great mystery element and clear endings to each book while having an intriguing over-arching plot.

I've not read any HPs and not likely to, but out of interest, Brian, when you say 'tightly written'... One of the biggest criticisms I've seen of her work is that she overuses adverbs, did you see any of that or...?

I didn't notice the adverbs with Rowling as much as I do in GRRM's Game of Thrones, where people don't simply say something, but say something adverbially. :)

I was vaguely annoyed by the use of "was", but appreciated it was part of the style.

I took ages to read the first because everyone kept saying "you MUST read it" - bleah. Took watching the first couple of movies to get me interested. Then I promptly devoured all the ones written up to then in a mad rush. :rolleyes:

They are such detailed books that you really have to reread them once or twice to pick up on all the small bits and pieces. I suppose that explains their success with kids and adults alike; lots of action but also subtle details for older readers to pick up on.

Ah ok. Some people notice the adverbs, some don't. Can't be as bad as people make out then! (I didn't notice them in ASoIaF to be honest).

I like stories with adverbs so probably not the best person to comment on them lol

I agree about the partner choices but won't give spoilers ;)

Can't be as bad as people make out then!

Don't believe it! :eek: Rowling does like to use them in dialogue tags A LOT. I love her style, but I SO wanted to take a mallet to those adverbs. They just get more noticeable once you spot them (and I noticed them in the first book but didn't mind them then).

I read the first one a while ago. I liked certain aspects (one of the twists, which I won't divulge, was rather good) but the writing style really didn't grab me. It read like a children's book, and it's great that the series got so many into reading, but I never felt like reading any more of the series. A bit like Gardens of the Moon, I can see why people like it, and it wasn't a terrible book, but the series wasn't for me.

I read the last two, for research, and thought them pretty good. I don't remember being bothered by adverbs although I had issues with the plot of the last one.

I love all the books, so am probably completely biased...

But, I think that Chamber is Secrets is probably to one I like the least, so I can see where you are coming from. As others have said, from Prisoner of Azkaban, it gets so, so, very good. Though, I do love CoS, mostly because of Gilderoy Lockhart. He just makes me laugh...

The best thing, for me, in the series is the relationships and characters. The magic, and conflicts and action etc are great, but the best part of her writing is making the reader Love the characters.

Enjoy! I am jealous, I wish I could read them for the first time, again!

Just finished reading Prisoner of Azkaban and really enjoyed it.

What grated a little was the attempts for sympathy early on for Harry and friends - showing how they were bullied by Malfoy, Snape, etc, but doing little against it - at first.

It was therefore refreshing to see some cockiness finally come into these characters later on. Presumably this is teenage insolence starting to come through, and we'll see more of it. :)

I'm also really hoping to see Harry go through an ego moment and start lashing out at the world - I'm getting a little tired of seeing how down-trodden he feels, when he is obviously very powerful. It would be interesting if he went completely the other direction and became a little power obsessed, perhaps requiring a sacrifice to bring him back down.

But ... I'll see. Even though I know some later spoilers (internet, sigh) it'll be interesting to see why and how these come about.