Editing/revision

prizzley

Here's a brilliant quote from Kim Edwards (author of The Memory Keeper's Daughter):

"I think of revision as a kind of archaeology, a deep exploration of the text to discover what's still hidden and bring it to the surface."

That's why it takes so long!

Interesting definition, and it hits home. Between the two, I sort of see revision as improvements to the story and editing as improvements to the writing. Not the same thing at all. Others disagree.

I've posted this before, but I'll do it again (Shombody Shtop me!!)

"I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter" James Michener - Pulitzer Prize Winner, author of 40 books and million sellers...

Interesting definition, and it hits home. Between the two, I sort of see revision as improvements to the story and editing as improvements to the writing. Not the same thing at all. Others disagree.

I pondered that for a while, but in the end had to agree!

For me anyway, I like lots of editing, there's always hidden errors waiting to be found and zapped.

Revision usually happens after a beta has slogged through your crap first version - god bless all beta's - and points out where improvements are needed.

For me anyway, I like lots of editing, there's always hidden errors waiting to be found and zapped.

You're telling me! I know I went through one at least 20 times before thinking I MIGHT have found them all.

Archaeology always makes me think of Indiana Jones.

It's an interesting analogy. Whilst I wouldn't say I love redrafting it's much easier and more interesting now than it was a few years ago. I think practice helps to eliminate bad habits. It might also be (particularly with my current WIP) that having beta-readers (and beta-reading for others) helps to sharpen up earlier drafts, so that there are fewer glaring errors or major problems.

"I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter" James Michener - Pulitzer Prize Winner, author of 40 books and million sellers...

Ha, that's me. I do cack first drafts, but if someone points something out and suggests what's needed, I'm in my element! :)

I tend to think of my rewriting as stratigraphy. (archaeological layers) But instead of stripping back the layers I'm creating them.

Archaeology is also about uncovering the story in those layers.

When I got sick I kind of thought my degree study was wasted but have to say archaeology is very useful when it comes to my writing.

I find that I'm constantly rewriting or rewording earlier passages, often for a whole host of different reasons:

- Seeding something for later on that I didn't think of at the time when I first wrote it.
- Reinforcing ideas that should be going on throughout that I forgot about or overlooked while being busy writing what the main focus of that chapter was
- Plain old fixing broken sentences and crappy grammar :)
- An easy excuse to not do the hard stuff and write the new parts.

... and specific to this story, or at least, the way I've chosen to write it:
- fixing POV issues where 90% of the chapter is correctly told from one point of view, but suddenly there's a bunch of paragraphs in the middle where they magically know what the other character is thinking... :mad:

As such, my chapter one has been picked over about 20 times and reads very nicely now (as does the prologue of my earlier piece that's on hold that prompted me to write this story in the first case!) whereas the recently completed chapter 13 hasn't even be re-read once yet, let alone edited, and chapter 7 (which I finished the first big edit of last night) had DOZENS of minor corrections and errors and missing words that needed fixing and quite a lot of tidying up, inserting of important stuff for later, reinforcement of themes running throughout, and general 'improving'.

As such, to me... editing and revision feels more like the constant maintenance needed for a nice garden. Once it's all in place and working, you just need to keep an eye on it and keep stuff trimmed and healthy. But it's a lot of work to get it to that stage!

(which is annoyingly ironic... since I live in a flat, with no garden... :rolleyes:)

You're telling me! I know I went through one at least 20 times before thinking I MIGHT have found them all.

Ditto back. It is a nice feeling however when you do finally get a section to where you want it to be, after you re-read it the 21st time and think, that will do!

Re-drafting is another, sort of revision I guess. I have a section currently that starts great but fails to make the point I want by the end. I've re-drafted the ending two/three times already with slow improvements, but I've still got a way to go. I like this phase when complete, but it can be frustrating when I'm in the middle of it like I am now.

It's my pesky hive aliens again, it's like herding cats, they just don't go where I want them to!

I keep referring to little bits and bobs that I think of as 'part of the story emerging', like it's already there but just starting to make itself seen amidst the rest of it. Sort of like topiary - you plant the seed, the bush grows but you still have a lot of chopping to do before you end up with a fancy-shaped tree that you'd be proud to show off.

(I came up with that simile just now and it's better than the previous one I was thinking of, which was something to do with sculpting.)

For me, I spend most of my time in revision and editing. I'd say 10% drafting, 90% revision, rewriting, editing, tweaking. There is a certain power in putting words on a page knowing full well that you can alter them during the editing process in any way you please. You can fix it. You can remove it. You can add new material.

I don't know why this process is so daunting for some, or so unappealing. It's my favorite part of the whole shebang. Hands down.

As for the original poster and the quote, it's definitely reminiscent of King's excavation commentary (On Writing).

Here's a question for you guys: -

Edit as you go, or edit when you finish?

I might do very mild editing as I go, but for the most part I turn off the internal editor, plug into my muse, and write. You almost get this runner's high when you really start moving. It's that momentum that pulled me through draft #1 (9 weeks). Riding that wave got me to the end.

Even if what I'm writing sucks (and I know it), I will always go back and edit the following day/week/month. As long as the kernel is there, the spirit of the moment, I can tease it out, alter, fix and revamp where needed.

Useful quote to illustrate a point, from Blaise Pascal:

"I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter."

The point is that revision and editing often largely consist of removing unnecessary words rather than adding them. I have often found (especially when submitting material for critique here; thanks everyone :) ) that removing a quarter of the words in a piece makes the meaning clearer rather than the opposite.

Two types of writing that I've found useful in teaching yourself discipline in this respect are commercial writing and short stories. In both cases, for slightly different reasons, carving away verbiage is vital. When you have a fixed space (one side of A4, perhaps) in which to get across your message, every word counts - or should.

Of course, it is quite possible to go too far. And there lies the skill.

On the other hand, "throw it down on the page before you forget it" is often part of a valid approach.

Revision usually happens after a beta has slogged through your crap first version - god bless all beta's - and points out where improvements are needed.

And beta's often point out the gaps where more depth (detail or explanation) is needed. Though I sometimes manage to spot this myself!

Here's a question for you guys: -

Edit as you go, or edit when you finish?

Both. After a fashion.

If you change a character's name or see a clunky line in the last paragraph or so, edit it on the spot, but not much more than that or you might not finish the draft. Otherwise it's pure barrel through to 'the end' of the first draft.

As this is my new favorite book on the topic I have to recommend Self-Editing for Fiction Writers.