The Maidenflower Dance -- Beginning of Diner Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren_Paul

Banishment this world!
I've been taking a bit of time off to get some perspective on my writing and played around with several different versions of my novel, redrafted part of an older novel and have at last come full circle on a decision about how to handle things. So now I've resurfaced and started to take a more active role on the forums.

I've got a piece here which comes after the opening scene of my current WIP so the character introductions for the protagonist and her little companion -- and her stuffed toy bear -- have already been done. Unfortunately, due to word count limits, I can't post the entire scene like I would really want to, and had a hard time finding a good spot to cut it, but hopefully this is enough to get some feedback on. The setting is a form of Urban Fantasy (Not set in present day, or any other era really -- it forms its own evolution of technology) with a light touch of Steampunk elements thrown in the mix. Some people who have read my work in the past might recognise this scene, even with the adjustments I have made since.

* * * *​

With a loud clang, the train doors closed behind me. Waves of rain pattered against the pavement like a hundred horses galloping to war. The girl hunched her shoulders and scrunched up her face. I knew how she felt. With my hand on her back, I lead her from the platform, heading to the lights across the road where Mertellie’s looked warm and inviting.

A carriage passed in front of us, kicking up water, its crystal lights highlighting the drops of rain like a thousand tiny insects racing towards the ground. Its motor churned softly as the carriage vanished into the distance. I wiped wet hair from my brow and continued on.

Doorbells don’t care if you want to remain anonymous, an unnoticed shadow in the back of the room. It rang as I opened the door, announcing to the whole diner: here I am, take notice of me. I wanted to rip it out.

The scent of stale smoke assaulted me and I pulled a face when I saw the thick haze drifting through the air. In the corner of the room, a jukebox played a slow, drowsy tune, the glow of its multi-hued crystallites vibrant in the fog. A dishevelled, grey-haired man sat at the bar, looking as if he’d had the worst day of his life. That was every single day for many who lived around here and I wouldn’t be surprised if there was something a little stronger than coffee in that mug he nursed.

We took a table halfway down the narrow room; one that gave me a good view of the door I’d come through, and where the window would provide me with a mirror-image of the exit at my back. Paranoid or not, with an occupation like mine one could never be too careful. Freed from my belt, I rested the scabbarded sword against the seat. The girl slid across the glossy red benchseat we shared, until she was right up against the wall and able to stare out the window, watching the rain make mosaics of the city lights on the glass.

‘Are you hungry?’ I asked her. The light reflected in the girl’s eyes, but there was no life to them. Torn out the moment she’d witnessed her parents’ death, I suspect.

‘Do you have a name?’ No answer. I placed my hand on hers. ‘You can call me Sera, that’s what my friends call me.’

Her head turned my way and for just a moment her chocolate brown eyes locked onto mine. She hugged her bear tighter and returned her gaze to the window.

A cup clattered down on the tabletop in front of me and the waitress started to pour thick coffee into it. The dark brew splashed up the sides, warm chocolate creaminess swirling around the centre like a whirlpool, but I tried not to get my hopes up; looks can be deceiving.

‘And for your daughter?’ the waitress asked, her Southern Hintervale accent deep and rough as she worked her way around the glob of thornroot in her mouth. I could smell its sweet, sickly scene on her breath.

‘She’s… do you have any juice?’ It might be best for the girl that I did pretend she was mine, at least until I could find her real family – if she had any left that is.

The waitress chewed noisily as she looked down her nose at me. ‘Oranges, fresh in today. They’ll cost you a fair krysta.’

I very much doubted they were fresh, but oranges were rare in the lower levels of Castlepoint. My shardpurse weighed heavily in my hand.

‘I’m good for the crystal.’ I tapped a ruby shard against the table. The sight of it lit up her eyes in a way words never could.

The doorbell rang. The waitress sniffed loudly and turned away, returning to the bar with her pot of coffee. I took a sip from the cup and cringed. See, looks can be deceiving. It was nasty. Forcing myself to take another sip, I watched the man in a dark green trenchcoat sit at a table down the far end of the diner. The waitress walked over and poured him a coffee with the same disconsolate attitude she’d given me.

I flicked my gaze to the reflection in the window. Another man, dressed in the same style of trenchcoat sat a few tables behind us. No doubt they hid weapons beneath those coats. Secretly, so as not to draw attention to myself, I checked the sword where it sat next to me. Their attempts at being inconspicuous were as blatant as a teenage girl gushing all over her school crush on prom night, and they were too clean shaven, their hair kept tidy; not the type I’d expect to find in a rundown establishment the likes of Mertellie’s. I had picked this location for that very fact. Plans never work out as intended.

Once more the doorbell rang. I hid my smile behind the coffee cup. I could play this game, but first I had business to take care of. I peeked over the rim of the cup as Eli Wagner let the door slam shut behind him. The waitress stiffened and the trenchcoat men suddenly found a favourable liking to their coffees. The Blackcoat uniform Eli wore would do that. He took the benchseat across from me and the girl.

He leaned back in his seat, staring at me, his face set with a blank, cold expression. Eli only gave me that look when he wasn’t happy with me. Whatever it was that bothered him, he better let me in on it soon; I wasn’t in the mood for twenty questions tonight.

The waitress returned with the juice, reaching over me to place it in front of the girl. The kid didn’t even notice it, her eyes still fixed on the world outside the window. She didn’t even blink. Beams of light played across her face when a carriage pulled up outside the diner.

Eli tapped the table. The waitress glowered as she poured him a coffee. Turning her nose up at him, the woman retreated to the bar. Making me wait, testing my patience, he took a sip from his coffee and grimaced. He dropped the cup loudly onto the table. ‘That tastes like something my dear departed mother would make.’

I tried not to smile, but it wasn’t easy. The old battle-axe would be turning over in her grave.

‘Just what mess have you got yourself caught up in?’ Eli asked.

I arched an eyebrow at him.

Reaching beneath his heavy coat, he pulled free the paper I’d given him several days earlier and dropped it on the table, displaying the strange symbol drawn on it; a flame with a ring of stars around it, a pair of feathered wings stretching out from behind it. He pointed at the symbol. ‘As you requested, I showed this to Laci, that historian friend of mine.’

‘And?’ I asked, resting my arms on the table as I leaned forward.

‘She recognised it, that’s for sure.’

‘Does she know what it means?’

Eli sighed. ‘Whatever she knows about it, she intends to keep it to herself.’ He leaned forward, resting his own arms on the table and spoke quietly. ‘Look, Sera, whatever your interest in this is, now is the time to get out. This symbol frightened the hells out of Laci, and she isn’t one to be scared easily.’

I slumped back in my seat, letting out a breath. ‘I can’t do that.’ If I figured this out, it might well give me the answers I sought. My nature was a mystery to me, I wanted to know who I was and this was the only clue I had to go with. It was not something I could just walk away from, no matter what dangers it put me in.

* * *​

Last edited:
Hi Warren!

A little general comment -- you have a tendency to repeat an idea and I think sometimes it weakens the writing.

e.g. the girl "hunched her shoulders and scrunched up her face" -- one of those would probably have been enough.

I thought you did something a little similar with the coffee bit (which I otherwise really liked): "I took a sip from the cup and cringed. See, looks can be deceiving. It was nasty. Forcing myself to take another sip..." -- all those things show us it's nasty, and the "It was nasty" sentence didn't add, for me, because you'd already shown it so effectively.

Another, slightly different, example: you have two very strong rain similies (galloping horses and then, a paragraph later, insects) -- both are powerful and I think their use so close together risks being excessive. I would save one for later, if I were you.

A couple of specifics: I don't associate the noise of a hundred horses galloping to war with "pattering"

and it's "led" (past tense of lead); "lead" pronounced "led" is the metal.

I wondered how you'd lead someone with your hand on their back -- is that more guiding (or pushing)?

I wasn't sure about this: "...looking as if he’d had the worst day of his life. That was every single day for many who lived around here..."

I do understand that it makes sense -- every single day could be the worst day of your life if things just kept getting worse -- but it feels awfully specific and when I read it my instant reaction was: "Huh. Does he really mean that?"

"Freed from my belt, I rested the scabbarded sword against the seat." -- this would imply (because the noun after the comma is "I") that the narrator is freed from her belt, which may be what you mean, but I wondered if you actually meant the sword was free from the belt? (e.g. "Freed from my belt, the scabbarded sword rested against the seat.")

There's some great writing in here, WP. I loved the city light mosaic description. I like the voice that's coming through -- the stuff with the doorbell and the coffee. Nice.

With a loud clang, the train doors closed behind me. Waves of rain patteredI don't see this as being a waves of rain sound, more a starting and finishing sound? against the pavement like a hundred horses galloping to warand this to me links to the waves, but not the pattering. The girl hunched her shoulders and scrunchednot keen on the unched repeat up her face. I knew how she felt. With my hand on her back, I leadled? otherwise it slips into present tense? her from the platform, heading to the lights across the road where Mertellie’s looked warm and inviting.

A carriage passed in front of us, kicking up water, its crystal lights highlighting the drops of rain like a thousand tiny insects racing towards the groundI like this image. Its motor churned softly as the carriage vanished into the distance. I wiped wet hair from my brow and continued on.

Doorbells don’t care if you want to remain anonymous, an unnoticed shadow in the back of the room. It rang as I opened the door, announcing to the whole diner:not sure about this colon here I am, take notice of me. I wanted to rip it out.

The scentscent indicates a nice smell, but stale smoke isn't. Actually, I'm not sure if it wouldn't be stronger starting with Stale smoke assaulted me? of stale smoke assaulted me and I pulled a face when I saw the thick haze drifting through the air. In the corner of the room, a jukebox played a slow, drowsy tune, the glow of its multi-hued crystallites vibrant in the fog.new paragraph? A dishevelled, grey-haired man sat at the bar, looking as if he’d had the worst day of his life. That was every single day for many who lived around herenot quite grasping this and I wouldn’t be surprised if there was something a little stronger than coffee in that mug he nursed.

We took a table halfway down the narrow room; one that gave medrop me? a good view of the door I’dwe'd, rather than switching between them? come through, and where the window would provide me with a mirror-image of the exit at my back. Paranoid or not, with an occupation like mine one could never be too careful. Freed from my beltwhen did she do this action?, I rested the scabbarded sword against the seat. The girl slid across the glossy red benchseat we shared, until she was right up against the wall and able to stare out the window, watching the rain make mosaics of the city lights on the glasspossibly a slight pov jump..

‘Are you hungry?’ I asked herdrop her - there's only the two of them?. The light reflected in the girl’s eyes, but there was no life to them. Torn out the moment she’d witnessed her parents’ death, I suspected?.

‘Do you have a name?’ No answer. I placed my hand on hers. ‘You can call me Sera, that’s what my friends call me.’

Her head turned my way and for just a moment her chocolate brown eyes locked onto mine. She hugged her bearI'd have liked a mention of the bear earlier in the scene, maybe when she was slipping across the seat/tighter and returned her gaze to the window.

A cup clattered down on the tabletop in front of me and the waitress started to pour thick coffee into it. The dark brew splashed up the sides, warm chocolate creaminess swirling around the centre like a whirlpool, but I tried not to get my hopes up; looks can be deceiving.

‘And for your daughter?’ the waitress asked, her Southern Hintervale accent deep and rough as she worked her way around the glob of thornroot in her mouth. I could smell its sweet, sickly scene on her breathnice.

‘She’s… do you have any juice?’ It might be best for the girl that I did pretend she was mine, at least until I could find her real family – if she had any left that iswas - I'm getting a bit confused with the tenses from time to time..

The waitress chewed noisily as she looked down her nose at me. ‘Oranges, fresh in today. They’ll cost you a fair krysta.’

I very much doubted they were fresh, but oranges were rare in the lower levels of Castlepoint. My shardpurseThere are a lot of terms in this -- krysta, shardpurse, thornroot -- I'm wondering if all of them, so close together, is a little overwhelming? weighed heavily in my hand.

‘I’m good for the crystal.’ I tapped a ruby shard against the table. The sight of it lit up her eyes in a way words never could.

The doorbell rang. The waitress sniffedseems odd since he's now her favourite, rich customer? loudly and turned away, returning to the bar with her pot of coffee. I took a sip from the cup and cringed. See, looks can be deceiving. It was nastyI'm with Hex, I'd drop this tell.. Forcing myself to take another sip, I watched the man in a dark green trenchcoat sit at a table down the far end of the diner. The waitress walked over and poured him a coffee with the same disconsolate attitude she’d given me.

I flicked my gaze to the reflection in the window. Another man, dressed in the same style of trenchcoat sat a few tables behind us. No doubt they hid weapons beneath those coats. Secretly, so as not to draw attention to myself, I checked the sword where it sat next to me. Their attempts at being inconspicuous were as blatant as a teenage girl gushing all over her school crush on prom nightI'm not keen on this bit -- it's like it's slipped into Phillip Marlowe territory, and that didn't seem to be the voice earlier. Also, if this is a female pov (I'm not 100 percent sure yet), then I think this is quite a masculine thought. But I might be wrong and it could be the Sera throwing me., and they were too clean shaven, their hair kept tidy; not the type I’d expect to find in a rundown establishment the likes of Mertellie’s. I had picked this location for that very fact. Plans never work out as intendedLost me here, sorry. He'd picked the place so they'd stand out? But now that they are standing out his plan isn't working?.

Once more the doorbell rang. I hid my smile behind the coffee cup. I could play this game, but first I had business to take care of. I peeked over the rim of the cup as Eli Wagner let the door slam shut behind him. The waitress stiffened and the trenchcoat men suddenly found a favourable liking to their coffees. The Blackcoat uniform Eli wore would do that. He took the benchseat across from me and the girl.

He leaned back in his seatdrop in his seat, staring at me, his face set with a blank, cold expression. Eli only gave me that look when he wasn’t happy with mea bit telly, maybe?. Whatever it was that bothered him, he better let me in on it soon; I wasn’t in the mood for twenty questions tonight.

The waitress returned with the juice, reaching over me to place it in front of the girl. The kid didn’t even notice it, her eyes still fixed on the world outside the window. She didn’t even blink. Beams of light played across her face when a carriage pulled up outside the dinernice image.

Eli tapped the table. The waitress glowered as she poured him a coffee. Turning her nose up at him, the woman retreated to the bar. Making me wait, testing my patience, he took a sip from his coffee and grimaced. He dropped the cup loudly onto the table. ‘That tastes like something my dear departed mother would make.’

I tried not to smile, but it wasn’t easy. The old battle-axe would be turning over in her grave.

Reaching beneath his heavy coat, he pulled free the paper I’d given him several days earlier and dropped it on the table, displaying the strange symbol drawn on it; a flame with a ring of stars around it, a pair of feathered wings stretching out from behind it. He pointed at the symbol. ‘As you requested, I showed this to Laci, that historian friend of mine.’

Eli sighed. ‘Whatever she knows about it, she intends to keep it to herself.’ He leaned forward, resting his own arms on the table and spoke quietly. ‘Look, Sera, whatever your interest in this is, now is the time to get out. This symbol frightened the hells out of Laci, and she isn’t one to be scared easily.’

I slumped back in my seat, letting out a breath. ‘I can’t do that.’ If I figured this out, it might well give me the answers I sought. My nature was a mystery to me, I wanted to know who I was and this was the only clue I had to go with. It was not something I could just walk away from, no matter what dangers it put me in.

* * *​
[/QUOTE]

Hi Warren, I liked some of this very much -- the dialogue between Eli and Sera was good, I thought. Some other bits, I thought, could be a little shorter and convey the same message. Anyway, some nits above. Hope it helps.

Thanks Hex, Springs. Very helpful comments. I'll drop the horses and just go with the insects. You're right about the lead, it's supposed to be led. Annoying that Word doesn't pick up on mistakes like that. :(

I'm not sure I understand changing the Is to Was: if she had any left that was -- doesn't sound right to me.

And shame on all three of us for missing the spelling mistake. Scene instead of scent. :p

Sera is most definitely a female character, btw. But she isn't your typical female. More one of those types like Laurel Hamilton's Anita Blake, who is all business and tough. Hmm, masculine thought. She's an assassin, a hunter -- somebody you go to when you need something done. I'm not sure if, knowing her character, masculine thoughts are that out of place? Maybe I do need to change it but I'd be interested in discussing whether female characters can't ever have masculine thoughts?

Last edited:
I liked this when we got to the intrigue of the strangers and Eli; I just think it could do with a good tightening. The others have pulled out lots of good examples. Especially your use of simile and metaphor needs more care. Like Hex, I liked the mosaic one, but for me both the horses and the insects were unnecessary and neither worked anywhere nearly as well as a well-chosen verb would have done -- neither really tells us anything about the way the character sees the world, which is when imagery really comes into its own.

I also thought the paragraph with the carriage read as an otherwise unnecessary attempt to get across the technology -- you want us to notice that it has crystal lights and a motor, and it comes across as a bit clumsy. One feels the author's hand behind it rather than the narrating character's. If in doubt, leave this stuff out -- it can come in more naturally later. Some of the differences from our world come across well in the diner anyway, and that's probably enough to be going on with.

Doorbells don’t care if you want to remain anonymous, an unnoticed shadow in the back of the room.

I understand the meaning, but this reads strangely because she can't be at the back of the room at the moment she opens the door. She might say "Doorbells don't care if you want to slip in unnoticed" or something.

The scent of stale smoke assaulted me

Even if you did mean "scene" I think some indication of the smell would be good -- it would surely have every bit as much impact on her as the visuals.

I hope that's given you a couple of pointers. As I said, as it advanced it became a much better read.

With a loud clang, the train doors closed behind me. Waves of rain pattered against the pavement like a hundred horses galloping to war. The girl hunched her shoulders and scrunched up her face. I knew how she felt. With my hand on her back, I lead her from the platform, heading to the lights across the road where Mertellie’s looked warm and inviting.
– This is nice, but I do like some description for feel.

A carriage passed in front of us, kicking up water, its crystal lights highlighting the drops of rain like a thousand tiny insects racing towards the ground. Its motor churned softly as the carriage vanished into the distance. I wiped wet hair from my brow and continued on.
– A bit of a repeat of rain here, not so much the carriage but the tiny insects, when you had horses galloping above and this is now mixed images.

Doorbells don’t care if you want to remain anonymous, an unnoticed shadow in the back of the room. It rang as I opened the door, announcing to the whole diner: here I am, take notice of me. I wanted to rip it out.
– I felt these few lines were a little clumsy and disconnected, the doorbell after they’d entered would have had greater clarity.

The scent of stale smoke assaulted me and I pulled a face when I saw the thick haze drifting through the air. In the corner of the room, a jukebox played a slow, drowsy tune, the glow of its multi-hued crystallites vibrant in the fog. A dishevelled, grey-haired man sat at the bar, looking as if he’d had the worst day of his life. That was every single day for many who lived around here and I wouldn’t be surprised if there was something a little stronger than coffee in that mug he nursed.
– Nice, me personally, I wouldn’t have bothered with the face pulling, but that would just be me.

I flicked my gaze to the reflection in the window. Another man, dressed in the same style of trenchcoat sat a few tables behind us. No doubt they hid weapons beneath those coats. Secretly, so as not to draw attention to myself, I checked the sword where it sat next to me. Their attempts at being inconspicuous were as blatant as a teenage girl gushing all over her school crush on prom night, and they were too clean shaven, their hair kept tidy; not the type I’d expect to find in a rundown establishment the likes of Mertellie’s. I had picked this location for that very fact. Plans never work out as intended.
– Prom night is a modern educational event, would your world have them? Just an observation.

The waitress returned with the juice, reaching over me to place it in front of the girl. The kid didn’t even notice it, her eyes still fixed on the world outside the window. She didn’t even blink. Beams of light played across her face when a carriage pulled up outside the diner.
– This is ok, but feels like a bit of a repeat and is slowing the pace of the upcoming meeting.

Reaching beneath his heavy coat, he pulled free the paper I’d given him several days earlier and dropped it on the table, displaying the strange symbol drawn on it;
this semi, I’m not sure! a flame with a ring of stars around it, a pair of feathered wings stretching out from behind it. He pointed at the symbol. ‘As you requested, I showed this to Laci, that historian friend of mine.’

As noted by others, a few little repeats here and there, just slowing the pace a little. This was really good for me, and it’s nits and picks only, and mostly on pace. The waitress coming to the table twice (three times, I’m not sure), when it need only be once – bring Eli in earlier or the waitress later and that knocks a section out. Are the men in the room (trench coat guys) important, I assume they are, and so on. A sharper eye for redundant writing, words that are not pushing the plot forward or adding value. These are to some extent style choices as well, mate, so you’ll have to decide for yourself what you want to do and what’s right for you.

I liked a lot of the description, it had a great feel to it.
Welcome back, WP, it’s good to see you’ve been busy.

[FONT=&quot]I think the description drags on a little, in places. Every paragraph details the hero's surroundings thickly, but, that said, I do like the way you've written it! The descriptiveness, although it slows the pace somewhat, is actually quite good. It was written in such a way that I felt I was getting into the head of the hero. The actual place and characters you described were generally interesting, too, so that helped me. :D
You could try swapping some of the descriptive narrative -- the parts that described Mertellie’s, namely -- for some dialogue, maybe? We could hear a little chatter between the patrons, or between the hero and the waitress, that builds a picture of the place for us (Sombre chatter, if you want to keep a dark ambience). Just a thought.

I thought the tense was a bit wonky, here and there. I don't know much about 1st Person, so maybe I'm just not used to it, but I thought things switched between past and present occasionally. For example:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"‘Are you hungry?’ I asked her. The light reflected in the girl’s eyes, but there was no life to them. Torn out the moment she’d witnessed her parents’ death, I suspect." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I really expected the final word to be "suspected". For some reason, the present use of "suspect" tripped me. Again, maybe it's because I know very little about 1st Person.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lastly, just a little something I noticed: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘She’s… do you have any juice?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]’[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think "do" should be capitalised.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I thought it was a good scene, and I'm interested in what the story could be about. I hope you keep working on it. :)
[/FONT]

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much little niggles to work on. The main thing is, everyone likes it. That's fantastic.

@HB Scent is correct. I was meaning the word scene near the end was the spelling mistake. It was supposed to be a second use of the word scent.

With a loud clang, the train doors closed behind me. Waves of rain pattered against the pavement like a hundred horses galloping to war. The girl hunched her shoulders and scrunched Do we need 'and scrunched'? up her face. I knew how she felt. With my hand on her back, I lead led? her from the platform, heading to the lights across the road where Mertellie’s looked warm and inviting.

A carriage passed in front of us, kicking up water, its crystal lights highlighting the drops of rain like a thousand tiny insects racing towards the ground. Another rain simile - excessive? Its motor churned softly as the carriage vanished into the distance. I wiped wet hair from my brow and continued on.

We took a table halfway down the narrow room; one that gave me a good view of the door I’d come through, and where the window would provide me with a mirror-image of the exit at my back. Paranoid or not, with an occupation like mine one could never be too careful. Freed from my belt, 'Freed from my belt' refers to I, not the sword I rested the scabbarded sword against the seat. The girl slid across the glossy red benchseat we shared, until she was right up against the wall and able to stare out the window, watching the rain make mosaics of the city lights on the glass.

‘Are you hungry?’ I asked her. The light reflected in the girl’s eyes, but there was no life to them. Torn out the moment she’d witnessed her parents’ death, I suspect. Possible placement problem here. They're sitting side by side? How can Sera see the girl's eyes if the girl is looking out of the window?

Her head turned my way and for just a moment her chocolate brown eyes locked onto mine. She hugged her bear tighter and returned her gaze to the window.

‘And for your daughter?’ the waitress asked, her Southern Hintervale accent deep and rough as she worked her way around the glob of thornroot in her mouth. I could smell its sweet, sickly scene on her breath.

‘She’s… do you have any juice?’ It might be best for the girl that I did pretend she was mine, at least until I could find her real family – if she had any left that is.

I very much doubted they were fresh, but oranges were rare in the lower levels of Castlepoint. My shardpurse weighed heavily in my hand.

The doorbell rang. The waitress sniffed loudly and turned away, returning to the bar with her pot of coffee. I took a sip from the cup and cringed. See, looks can be deceiving. It was nasty. Forcing myself to take another sip, OK we get it. the coffee is bad. I watched the man in a dark green trenchcoat sit at a table down the far end of the diner. The waitress walked over and poured him a coffee with the same disconsolate attitude she’d given me.

I flicked my gaze to the reflection in the window. Another man, dressed in the same style of trenchcoat sat a few tables behind us. No doubt they hid weapons beneath those coats. Secretly, so as not to draw attention to myself, I checked the sword where it sat next to me. Check the sword for what? That it's still where Sera put it? Their attempts at being inconspicuous were as blatant as a teenage girl gushing all over her school crush on prom night, and they were too clean shaven, their hair kept tidy; not the type I’d expect to find in a rundown establishment the likes of Mertellie’s. I had picked this location for that very fact. Plans never work out as intended.

He leaned back in his seat, staring at me, his face set with a blank, cold expression. Eli only gave me that look when he wasn’t happy with me. I could do with a bit of business to emphasise that Eli is sitting at Sera's table. Whatever it was that bothered him, he better let me in on it soon; I wasn’t in the mood for twenty questions tonight.

I tried not to smile, but it wasn’t easy. The old battle-axe would be turning over in her grave. Overwriting?

* * *​

Overall it looks like a quality piece of work, but I have marked some nitpicks and overwriting.

Thanks Geoff.

Well I've worked on most of the nitpicks but don't see the need to post up the improved version. ETA on next critique: 495 posts. :)

VERY interesting mix of technologies here. I'd be interested to see it carried further.

I recognized this section from before.

IMHO you have a real talent for imagery (I especially like the rain/insects image) but you tend to overdo it. For me, it takes away from the story and I become conscious of the author trying to impress. A little goes a long way.

My suggestion would be less image and more story. I would rather see little gems glint on occasion than be overwhelmed with a rapper's bling.

I liked the way you described the scene but I felt there was too much so close together.

You did get me curious about the symbol on the paper and the characters in general. It felt very mysterious and I wanted to keep reading to find out what's going to happen next.

Great job.

Thanks Abraves and welcome to the Chrons. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Thanks, Grinnel. I knew somebody would recognise it. The detail of the imagery is a unanimous comment and already dealt with. I've trimmed it down, although I think I kept the insects one. The horses one is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.