March's Metaphorical Meanderings Metamorphosing Into Magical Manuscripts

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall, it was... and it was Monty, not Henry. Yes, I read it a few years ago; an odd novel, to say the least, varying between being a quite powerful weird piece, a suspenseful novel dealing with non-supernatural events, and a comic novel, all rolled into an uneasy (but, to me, quite enjoyable and engrossing) mix. I recall that Teresa Edgerton had a much less favorable reaction to it. I can understand that, but for me at any rate, it worked, though it was a rather different sort of experience than most people today would expect from Le Fanu....

Finished The Dervish House, it was fantastic. If you haven't read it, you should. Near future Istanbul, laced with nanotechnology and intricate narrative.

Picked up Touching the Void by Joe Simpson after my wife raved about it after finishing it last week.

Finished The Dervish House, it was fantastic. If you haven't read it, you should. Near future Istanbul, laced with nanotechnology and intricate narrative.
Sweet. I'm very interested in his books. I'll bump this up the list, I think. Not sure if I should start with this one or Brasyl, or River of Gods. They are all buried somewhere in my TBR.

I'm about to start Trillion Year Spree by Brian W. Aldiss ("with David Wingrove" in small print inside the book, but not on the cover.) I read Billion Year Spree when it first came out, and I'm interested to see how this 1986 revision of his 1973 history of SF will compare with the original. (And isn't it about time for Quadrillion Year Spree?)

I'm about to start Trillion Year Spree by Brian W. Aldiss ("with David Wingrove" in small print inside the book, but not on the cover.) I read Billion Year Spree when it first came out, and I'm interested to see how this 1986 revision of his 1973 history of SF will compare with the original. (And isn't it about time for Quadrillion Year Spree?)

I gather that Wingrove wrote most of the new content for the later chapters, which are generally considered a bit slapdash (many lists of names without much analysis).

As I recall, it was... and it was Monty, not Henry. Yes, I read it a few years ago; an odd novel, to say the least, varying between being a quite powerful weird piece, a suspenseful novel dealing with non-supernatural events, and a comic novel, all rolled into an uneasy (but, to me, quite enjoyable and engrossing) mix. I recall that Teresa Edgerton had a much less favorable reaction to it. I can understand that, but for me at any rate, it worked, though it was a rather different sort of experience than most people today would expect from Le Fanu....

Thanks, JD. It sounds like something I might try eventually, but need not regard as a must.

I'm continuing in my optimistic quest to re-read all the Wheel of Time books (at least, as far as I can get). I've just finished the Eye of the World, I'd forgotten how much I liked this one (at least, the second half). Up next is the Great Hunt, or I might start Wise Man's Fear by Rothfuss, as I just got that. It's sure to be amazing -- I loved Name of the Wind.

Also reading Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman, and it is wonderfully light and funny -- great counterpoint to WOT :) .

Thanks, JD. It sounds like something I might try eventually, but need not regard as a must.

I would agree. While I personally found it quite charming and enjoyable -- and not infrequently quite successful as a suspense novel bordering on the weird -- this is not the usual reaction to this one nowadays. Then again, few people seem to read Le Fanu's novels other than Uncle Silas, which is a bit of a shame, as they really can be very good things of their kind (Joshi to the contrary notwithstanding)...

Sweet. I'm very interested in his books. I'll bump this up the list, I think. Not sure if I should start with this one or Brasyl, or River of Gods. They are all buried somewhere in my TBR.

I've only read The Dervish House but I'll definitely be checking out the other two!

Picked up Touching the Void by Joe Simpson after my wife raved about it after finishing it last week.
As I mentioned on GR a brilliant but harrowing book. This is climbing in the greater ranges as it really is (though we don't usually have quite such epic tales to tell). Forget Cliffhanger, Vertical Limits etc. this is the real thing. Joe Simpson is a very, very lucky man! If you want clarification on any of the technical climbing issues just give me a shout!

I've been largely off-line for a couple of weeks and haven't had much time for reading. However I've managed a couple:

Neal Asher's The Technician: another very good read from Asher but with some reservations. My further thoughts here: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/blogs/vertigo/1712-the-technician-by-neal-asher.html

Also read Elizabeth Moon's The Speed of Dark. This has sat on my bookshelves for way too long; a story about autism just did not appeal to me very strongly. How wrong I was; this is one of, if not the best of my recent reads (and I've had some very good ones lately). This is a million miles from Moon's normal offerings and, though I really enjoy her space opera and fantasy, it is in a different and much higher league. Just brilliant, if only just classifiable as SF, I can't recommend this book enough! My further thoughts here: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/blogs/vertigo/1713-the-speed-of-dark-by-elizabeth-moon.html

... it certainly shows how common Le Fanu's works were at this period (1888), which may come as a surprise to some of his readers today....
Not just then, either. In The Nine Tailors Sayers has a quote from Le Fanu as one of her chapter epigraphs, and when Wimsey is studying the coded message, Bunter -- who presumably had no more than a standard education -- says "I should say that it was written by a person of no inconsiderable literary ability, who had studied the works of Sheridan Lefanu, and was, if I may be permitted the expression, bats in the belfry." That was in 1934 and she clearly expected her readers to understand the allusion.

My reading -- I finished the remaining Conan Doyle Professor Challenger stories, but was singularly unimpressed with them in comparison to The Lost World which I thoroughly enjoyed. Since reporting here last I've also read The Princess Bride by William Goldman** which was great fun, The Shadow of the Torturer, the first of The New Book of the Sun by Gene Wolfe, which wasn't, and I'm half-way through To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, which I'm hating.

** I keep going to say William Golding. I don't think it would have been half as amusing if he'd written it, though...

As I mentioned on GR a brilliant but harrowing book. This is climbing in the greater ranges as it really is (though we don't usually have quite such epic tales to tell). Forget Cliffhanger, Vertical Limits etc. this is the real thing. Joe Simpson is a very, very lucky man! If you want clarification on any of the technical climbing issues just give me a shout!

Thanks!

I'm enjoying it so far, just over half way and some of the things these guys go through are almost incomprehensible! It makes me think why do such a thing? For personal gain? For fame? For a sense of achievement? It highlights mankind's desire to improve, to be better, faster, stronger but also shows how insignificant in the grand scheme of things we all are.

My reading -- I finished the remaining Conan Doyle Professor Challenger stories, but was singularly unimpressed with them in comparison to The Lost World which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Interesting TJ, I didn't find the second book too bad but as you say not as good as the first, but once he started on the spirtualism stuff I'm afraid I gave up half way through.

Thanks!

I'm enjoying it so far, just over half way and some of the things these guys go through are almost incomprehensible! It makes me think why do such a thing? For personal gain? For fame? For a sense of achievement? It highlights mankind's desire to improve, to be better, faster, stronger but also shows how insignificant in the grand scheme of things we all are.

Well I can tell you from experience it's not because it's fun, at least not at the time. It's a big jump when you move to climbing the higher mountains; basically it hurts! Mallory's famous response was of course "Because it's there." A bit too glib for me, but I think one of the motivations is challenging yourself. It's not really about conquering the mountain but conquering yourself.

Continuing my reading of shorter works by Henry James. It is interesting to me how often he, like Wilkie Collins, had elements of what could be seen as a form of supernaturalism in his works, even ones which are by no means fantastic tales. At times they are very minor touches, just a slight bit of poetic atmosphere which hints that something more than the natural may be at work (much as Collins' use of fate as an overriding force in several of his works); at other times there is something which makes the story itself border on the sublime, or the numinous (as with "Madame de Mauves"), though the full impact of this may not be felt until the very end of the story.

Few of these are likely to appeal to those looking for "weird" work, as these elements really are, save for his overtly ghostly tales, not something which call attention to themselves unless one is reading with considerable care; nonetheless, they do at times take the stories into a region I wasn't expecting with the bulk of them.

The piece I'm reading at the moment is titled "The Liar", in which, on the first page, I encountered this little bit in the midst of describing the protagonist's reaction to a country house to which he has been invited:

Now, I have encountered this line many times over the years, without knowing its exact origin. Often I have seen it mistakenly attributed to M. R. James, rather than Henry; but at any rate, it certainly shows how common Le Fanu's works were at this period (1888), which may come as a surprise to some of his readers today....

Im not surprised Le Fanu works was so commen then only because several of my Uni literary proferssors has chosen his works as important Gothic,weird fiction author from that time period. The most used example outside Poe i have sen in academical circles of that fiction type in my University.

Of course students reading Carmilla in Queer literary class might not know how big he was then.

I'm taking a break in the middle of 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas to read Moby Dick (first time, the damn thing just kept calling out to me after I downloaded the complete Melville to my Kindle). My mind is currently envisioning returning to the Verne as being a sort of calm after the storm.:p

Interesting TJ, I didn't find the second book too bad but as you say not as good as the first, but once he started on the spirtualism stuff I'm afraid I gave up half way through.
Exactly my reaction regarding The Land of Mist! I think if I'd read The Poison Belt first, I'd have liked it a lot more -- the dodgy premise, the casual racism, the insipid wife, and the cop-out ending notwithstanding -- but coming after The Lost World I found it disappointing. (It had some good lines, though -- I loved it when Roxton comments about leaving loose ends as they are all about to die, and Malone confesses he was writing a book of verses which will never now see the light of day, and Roxton says "There's always compensation somewhere if you grope around." :D)

Hehe, yes I remember that bit! But yes The Land of Mist I just couldn't read. A shame really; I understand this spiritualism came to dominate his later life in a big way.

I finished Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I think I might have liked it better than the Revelation Space Trilogy, but it's been awhile since I read them so I can't say for sure. Slightly disappointed with the ending, but not enough to tarnish the book. I would definitely recommend it.

Since I liked it so much, I decided to buy Galactic North for my Kindle, which is what I'm currently reading. I'm not usually a lover of short stories, but I am looking forward to these.

Im not surprised Le Fanu works was so commen then only because several of my Uni literary proferssors has chosen his works as important Gothic,weird fiction author from that time period. The most used example outside Poe i have sen in academical circles of that fiction type in my University.

Of course students reading Carmilla in Queer literary class might not know how big he was then.

The thing is that, following his death, save for a small handul of pieces (Uncle Silas, "Green Tea", "Carmilla"), Le Fanu went through a lengthy period of being all but forgotten. His work became almost impossible to find, save for those few items, and certainly the majority of his novels languished out of print for close to a century. Even when interest revived, there was a tremendous lot of his work which was simply impossible to attain, or completely unknown. With the revival of interest in ghost stories (largely through the portal of M. R. James)* Le Fanu's works were gradually tracked down and by now nearly everything has once again seen print.

Interestingly, as so many such stories were published anonymously, there have been several stories over the years which were thought to be by Le Fanu and published as his works, only to find out who the original writer was, or simply to have enough evidence come to light to prove these were not his work.

James, in fact, was among the first to collect together several of Le Fanu's tales, in the slender volume Madam Crowl's Ghost and and Other Stories (1924) doing so for the very reason that they had otherwise been forgotten.

I finished Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I think I might have liked it better than the Revelation Space Trilogy, but it's been awhile since I read them so I can't say for sure. Slightly disappointed with the ending, but not enough to tarnish the book. I would definitely recommend it.

Since I liked it so much, I decided to buy Galactic North for my Kindle, which is what I'm currently reading. I'm not usually a lover of short stories, but I am looking forward to these.

The Galactic North stories span the whole of the Revelation series. As I recall most of the stories are set before the main series with the exception of the last one which is set long after the main series. They certainly give good background to the series and are good reads in their own right.

I have just finished At the Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft. Sadly, though I really wanted to like this book, it just didn't work for me. I found the style dry; surprising considering his extensive use of adjectives. And ultimately I found, for my taste his excessive and repetitive, use of adjectives and adverbs just numbed me making everything sort of blur. Additional thoughts here: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/blogs/vertigo/1715-at-the-mountains-of-madness-by-h-p.html

Status
Not open for further replies.