c.1995 YA Fantasy novel - Cover had travelers in a boat on a river with large dog

Forsakeninnkeeper

Hi,

For ages I have been trying to remember the name and author of a young adult's fantasy novel which I read in 1997. I first saw the book in bookstores around 1996 so I assume it was published either then or in 1995. Given that the characters were British I am assuming that it was a British author.

From memory the cover showed a group of travelers on a winding river, with a large dog in their boat.

I recall that the main characters were three young British school kids who, after getting off their bus, wandered through some woods and entered into an alternative world ala Narnia. One of the kids was chubby and made fun of by the other two for it.

I can't recall much of the plot other than that they visited a house which was set in a cave beneath a tree.

At one point in the story they encountered another traveler from our world, a man from Wales who entered the fantasy world during the 60s and who was accompanied by the dog which featured on the cover.

At the end of the novel they traveled down a river (again, from the cover) and encountered a sort of Baba Yaga type witch. For some reason she put them to sleep so they could reawake at a time when they could complete their quest.

Because this was the end of the novel I always assumed that the series must of continued but I never saw any further signs of this author or these books.

Does anyone else recall this novel?

Back