Justice Machine

slidemanic

I am trying to find a story--short fiction as I recall--in which some guy goes to another planet and mistreats the locals in some way. He agrees to go into the Justice Machine to have his case adjudicated. The Justice Machine, as it turns out, rips him up and terminates him. I seem to recall that the local characters in charge of things were named Popogator and The Slide, of all things. Was this by Theodore Sturgeon?

I remember this story well, written somewhere on the cusp of the 1950s/60s. The only thing I can't remember is the title or the author. Theodore Sturgeon would be a likely suspect, but I don't think it's him. Daniel F. Galouye would also be likely, but I can't find a reference to push that notion.

I remember the final pages when the overconfident offender goes into the room where the justice machine dwells, acting as judge, jury and exectioner. The walls of the room are covered with the stains and pieces of previously convicted subjects. And then he sees the justice machine in front of him "...its ropy arms aswing". The last phrase, if nothing else has stuck with me.
If I have an epiphany, I'll post it.

Yeah, that's it. I too remember the ropy arms part. Funny not to remember the title. Brain cells a little older now. Thanx.

Well,it has been a while since I've been here,however! Thank you very much for finding this. Most of my favorite reading in my youth was these short story anthologies and now I think I shall get this one and enjoy it again.