Does anyone else get confused?

anthorn

Anyone else get confused with what they are writing? For me it's Dead County. Sometimes I want to write it and other times I don't. It always end up as my go to work whenever I have writers block. I first got inspired to write a Zombie novel by Dead Island and the Walking Dead. Whenever I play those games or listen to the soundtrack I get the urge to write a Zombie Novel. Now, I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure this is a bad sign? Any thoughts, opininons? Do you have a novel that you switch between wanting to write and not?

I'm not sure how getting the urge to write is a bad thing? Sure, if you're just copying what you just experienced, but otherwise, no. I sometimes switch between projects when one stalls. Not a bad thing either, provided you knwo you tend to finish things. Both are perfectly normal for a lot of writers.

I'm not sure where the confusion of the title comes in?

Wasn't sure what to put as a title :p
I know wanting to write isn't a bad thing. I love to write. It just some times I get the urge to write something (usually when I am stuck with a project) and then it fades away when I get into difficulty with the new project.

I'm more of a Fantasy reader than a horror reader though. Brrr.....Just wish I could settle on one thing.

Anyone else get confused with what they are writing? For me it's Dead County. Sometimes I want to write it and other times I don't. It always end up as my go to work whenever I have writers block. I first got inspired to write a Zombie novel by Dead Island and the Walking Dead. Whenever I play those games or listen to the soundtrack I get the urge to write a Zombie Novel. Now, I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure this is a bad sign? Any thoughts, opininons? Do you have a novel that you switch between wanting to write and not?

I think they're days (weeks/months) you just can't touch it. Then you pick it up and flip through what you've done and think: this ain't all bad ...

Wasn't sure what to put as a title :p
I know wanting to write isn't a bad thing. I love to write. It just some times I get the urge to write something (usually when I am stuck with a project) and then it fades away when I get into difficulty with the new project.

Every writer gets into difficulty. Every single one. Probably every single book. It's part and parcel of writing. Enthusiasm fades away to be replaced with 'man this sucks'...

Your choice is get on with it, or not. But the people who don't get on with it, don't try to work out those difficulties, are the ones who won't end up with a finished story (which they can then revise)

No one said this was an easy gig.

True dat.

I'm thinking wanting to write a Zombie novel because you liked Dead Island or the music that went with it is not really a good reason to write a Zombie novel. I've only read 4 Zombie books. World War Z. As the world dies by Rhiannon Frater.

If those things inspire you, why not fire them up when inspiration is lacking? Maybe they will give you cool new ideas and rekindle your enthusiasm! Anyway, it happens to me all the time, in fact I go years without touching a work then come back to it. Not the way to write a lot of books of course :) But whatever works for you.

Sometimes the break is just what is needed, recharging the batteries and letting you tackle it afresh on your return.

It doesn't matter what inspired you to write it, only that it did, and that you took the inspiration and made with it something of yours rather than an imitation.

I once wrote a two book series based on the (almost) sole inspiration of a Metallica song, another where the basic worldbuilding premise was inspired by a Motorhead song, I've written books inspired by a random musing in a conversation, all sorts

The source of the inspiration doesn't matter - it matters what you do with it.

I love to write...Just wish I could settle on one thing.

OK, now I get it. I think every writer has these moments, when a new idea seems more appealing than the problem wip. You could make a note of the new idea, or even write until the flow stops, before you return to the original wip. That's the critical point though. A break is often beneficial, because when you get back to it, you look with fresh eyes, new ideas and the will to progress to the finish.

I once wrote a two book series based on the (almost) sole inspiration of a Metallica song, another where the basic worldbuilding premise was inspired by a Motorhead song.

This. I have certain pieces of music that for whatever reason really touched me deeply. Part of the motivation to write is to marshal and articulate those feelings and in doing so, try to make sense of them

Maybe have one big novel WIP and then branch off and write short stories with the new ideas that pop into your head whilst working on the big WIP (as long as you treat it like a break and are disciplined to finishing those short stories and then getting back on with the main task).

By the time you finish the novel, you'll know which of the short stories you most want to expand on for next.

Back