non historical High-Fantasy.

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
I'm looking for something similar to my own story so I can read the synopsis/blurb.

Any story set on a different world that is contemporary in era to our own but still has an absolute monarch/dictator of some description. In every other way it is pretty standard high-fantasy.

When i saw the thread i thought about lyrical,classic high fantasy that didnt have clear historical connection to our past history but different world do you mean in another planet?

sort of - it is through the wardrobe type stuff really, but Earth is the world through the wardrobe. I think it comes across as another planet in the first story though.

If I understand your question:
Nine Princes in Amber Roger Zelazny
The Maker of Universes Philip Jose Farmer (SF but Fantasy-like)

No Hitmouse i thought of Nine Princes of Amber when i posted my first post and thought High-fantasy in another world.

You were too fast for me :p

The world the other side in all of these is not contemporary to our own. Varying eras the other side "through the wardrobe"

Barbara Hambly - world the other side is about 17th or 18th century, roughly
Darwath Trilogy - worlds temporarily aligned, magic used, two californians go through.
Silicon Mage - one californian go through to parallel world (again magic)

Guy Gavriel Kay - fairly medieval the other side
Fionnavar trilogy - magic to go to linked world (which uses a lot of the mythology from our world plus some invented bits - Diana the huntress and the like)

For our sort of era - Diane Duane, "Stealing the Elf King's Roses". Starts in a world roughly in our era, parallel to us, and um, California again. :)

ahh in my stories it is Earth that varies in the era but there is relatively little contact between the two in the first series. There are references to the other world and I do introduce the reader to the time machine/portal. The Diane Duane one sounds interesting her blurb may help.

I'm butting up against the issue I have an absolute monarch complete with outdated regalia in a modern world. (his son wears jeans). When I write the synopsis it sounds too medieval.