Opening to YA fantasy (1029 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_j_dando

Hi folks!

The beginning to something that jumped out at me this week, and I'm curious to get reactions to it. Ages of characters, overall feel, too much/ too little description, that sort of high level crit would be most useful. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Tiger crouched in the dirt at the side of the wooden building, drawing her thin fingers through the mud. The lines formed symbols, complex and interwoven, ragged edges in the grit and soil. Straight black hair, plastered to her skull by the persistent rain, hung down in front of her eyes and dripped onto the marks she made. The rain drummed a staccato beat onto the wooden shingle roof, poured off the edge in a waterfall, and ran down the centre of the street in an ochre river. Tiger shivered. There were safer places to be, that much was certain. Coming back here, after everything Durio had done to her, was like dancing along the cloud path with her eyes closed. Terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.

“Ariham curse this place,” she murmured, the marks under her fingers growing deeper as she retraced them. The yellowish mud was icy cold and gritty under her broken nails. “And all who claim shelter here.” A sharp stone sliced into the skin on her finger and she winced. Blood was good. It would wash into the ground and strengthen the curse.

Thunder rumbled around the mist-shrouded mountains as the storm growled. Tiger felt the hairs on her arms prick up at the sound. The cut on her finger throbbed.

A child screamed inside the building, to be almost immediately silenced. Tiger gouged out the last symbol and stood, pale mud coating her hands and knees. Her breath came in fast, shallow gulps, and she clenched her hands so tightly her nails dug into her palms. She watched the doorway, waiting. Screamers never lasted.

Sure enough, the door was flung open and a girl, a few years younger than Tiger, was pushed out. She stumbled awkwardly on the wet stairs and fell, landing in a deep puddle. There was blood at the side of her mouth and tears in her eyes. The short, grey dress she wore was torn and stained, and now soaked through. Her name was Adhari - although Tiger mostly knew her as Adi. The girl’s eyes searched the surrounding area for anyone who could help. Their black gaze landed on Tiger; standing out of sight of the doorway at the side of the building.

Tiger put a mud-dirty finger to her lips and shook her head.

Adi struggled to her feet, clutching the remains of her dress tight around her. She gulped down her sobs, trying not to cry.

“Get back to the home,” said a man’s voice. “Send one of the others.”

Something inside Tiger bubbled up to the surface at the sound of that voice. Memories of pain and hurt and humiliation rose within her, white-hot and furious.

“You’re a feisty little tiger, ain’t you? Well, we’ll soon beat that out of you...”

She knew she should be scared - but the anger overrode the fear.

Tiger stepped forward, walking barefoot through the mud to stand at the bottom of the stairs. She kept her eyes on the doorway the whole time, watching as the skinny man in the shelter of the building saw her. His blue eyes bulged with disbelief as he saw her.

“You!”

Tiger pushed Adhari behind her. The younger girl was trembling, whether with fear or cold, Tiger didn’t know.

“You’re dead.” He looked shaken. “A gahette. You’re not real.”

“You’re right, Durio.” She took a step towards him, and he flinched. “A gahette. A dead girl, walking. And I curse you. Do you know what that means?”

He said nothing. His lips grew thinner, pressed tight together. She knew that look - he was angry, and she didn’t care.

“With my blood I curse you. The gods see through my eyes, and now they see what you do.”

“Heathen idols,” he sneered. “Make-believe fantasies.”

Tiger shook her head. “But you don’t really think that, do you? How else do you explain me standing here?”

“You were still alive when I dumped you...” he faltered, uncertain. “Someone found you.”

“Someone did.” Her heart was thumping so loudly she was convinced he could hear it.

“It’s not possible...” he muttered, mostly to himself.

“The gods look at you, and do you know what they see? Worms. Maggots. Things that crawl and eat the dead and they see you and you are beneath those creatures. You can’t hurt me any more.”

He came down the stairs in two swift steps and had his hands about her throat before she could move.

“Would you like to put that to the test?” he hissed, his breath hot and vile on her skin. “Do you think you can't die twice?”

She fought back, kicked out, scratched at him with her nails, but he held on. He was short, ill-nourished like the rest of them, but strong. Tiger felt the blood pounding in her head and her struggles growing weaker. She could hear the younger girl crying, or maybe the sobs were her own. She couldn’t think. She did not want to die again. Death was a cold, lonely place.

“You shouldn’t have returned, dead girl,” Durio said, and as she looked with darkening vision into his eyes, she knew he was right.

There was a low rumbling, deep from within the ground below them. Her tormentor’s expression grew wary.

“Is this you? Did you do this?”

The rumbling grew to a grinding, wet sound, and the earth began to shake.

Durio swore. He let go of Tiger, pushing her sideways, and staggered across the lurching ground like a drunken man.

Tiger, her head spinning, was dimly aware of Adhari grasping her hand and pulling her somewhere, splashing through slippery mud and yellow-brown water. She heard men shouting and screaming over the screech of splintering wood and the roar of earth and rock.

She turned in time to see the side of the hill collapse, sliding down into the deep valley with a deafening rush. And in the centre, she caught a brief glimpse of the red, wood-shingled roof of the house where Durio and his friends had caused her so much pain. Then it was gone, swallowed up in a mess of earth and rock and water.

Hi folks!

The beginning to something that jumped out at me this week, and I'm curious to get reactions to it. Ages of characters, overall feel, too much/ too little description, that sort of high level crit would be most useful. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Tiger crouched in the dirt at the side of the wooden building, drawing her thin fingers through the mud. The lines formed symbols, complex and interwoven, I'm not sure about this comma; if it stays I think it's a splice, if it goes it means the symbols have ragged exes, which worked better for meragged edges in the grit and soil. Straight black hair, plastered to her skull by the persistent rain, hung down in front of her eyes and dripped This sounds like the hair is dripping down ;)onto the marks she made. The rain drummed a staccato beat onto the wooden shingle roof, poured off the edge in a waterfall, and ran down the centre of the street in an ochre river. Tiger shivered. There were safer places to be, that much was certain. Coming back here, after everything Durio had done to her, was like dancing along the cloud path with her eyes closed. Terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. My nitpicky comments notwithstanding I'm liking the imagery and putting the kid somewhere in the nine to twelve range.

“Ariham curse this place,” she murmured, the marks under her fingers growing deeper as she retraced them. The yellowish mud was icy cold and gritty under her broken nails. “And all who claim shelter here.” A sharp stone sliced into the skin on her finger and she winced. Blood was good. It would wash into the ground and strengthen the curse. But now I think older. I'd like something to hook her age onto.

Thunder rumbled around the mist-shrouded mountains as the storm growled. Tiger felt the hairs on her arms prick up at the sound. The cut on her finger throbbed. I felt here that in this paragraph there is one too many physical reactions for me.

A child screamed inside the building, to be almost immediately silenced. Tiger gouged out the last symbol and stood, pale mud coating her hands and knees. Her breath came in fast, shallow gulps, and she clenched her hands so tightly her nails dug into her palms. She watched the doorway, waiting. Screamers never lasted.

Sure enough, the door was flung open and a girl, a few years younger than Tiger, was pushed out. She stumbled awkwardly on the wet stairs and fell, landing in a deep puddle. There was blood at the side of her mouth and tears in her eyes. The short, grey dress she wore was torn and stained, and now soaked through. Her name was Adhari - although Tiger mostly knew her as Adi. The girl’s eyes searched the surrounding area for anyone who could help. Their black gaze landed on Tiger; standing out of sight of the doorway at the side of the building.

Adi struggled to her feet, clutching the remains of her dress tight around her. She gulped down her sobs, trying not to cry.

Something inside Tiger bubbled up to the surface at the sound of that voice. Memories of pain and hurt and humiliation rose within her, white-hot and furious.

“You’re a feisty little tiger, ain’t you? Well, we’ll soon beat that out of you...”

Tiger stepped forward, walking barefoot through the mud to stand at the bottom of the stairs. She kept her eyes on the doorway the whole time, watching as the skinny man in the shelter of the building saw her. His blue eyes bulged with disbelief as he saw her.

“You!”

Tiger pushed Adhari behind her. The younger girl was trembling, whether with fear or cold, Tiger didn’t know.

“You’re right, Durio.” She took a step towards him, and he flinched. “A gahette. A dead girl, walking. And I curse you. Do you know what that means?”

He said nothing. His lips grew thinner, pressed tight together. She knew that look - he was angry, and she didn’t care.

“With my blood I curse you. The gods see through my eyes, and now they see what you do.”

Tiger shook her head. “But you don’t really think that, do you? How else do you explain me standing here?”

“You were still alive when I dumped you...” he faltered, uncertain. “Someone found you.”

“Someone did.” Her heart was thumping so loudly she was convinced he could hear it.

“The gods look at you, and do you know what they see? Worms. Maggots. Things that crawl and eat the dead and they see you and you are beneath those creatures. You can’t hurt me any more.”

He came down the stairs in two swift steps and had his hands about her throat before she could move.

“Would you like to put that to the test?” he hissed, his breath hot and vile on her skin. “Do you think you can't die twice?”

She fought back, kicked out, scratched at him with her nails, but he held on. He was short, ill-nourished like the rest of them, but strong. Tiger felt the blood pounding in her head and her struggles growing weaker. She could hear the younger girl crying, or maybe the sobs were her own. She couldn’t think. She did not want to die again. Death was a cold, lonely place.

“You shouldn’t have returned, dead girl,” Durio said, and as she looked with darkening vision into his eyes, she knew he was right.

There was a low rumbling, deep from within the ground below them. Her tormentor’s expression grew wary.

Durio swore. He let go of Tiger, pushing her sideways, and staggered across the lurching ground like a drunken man.

Tiger, her head spinning, was dimly aware of Adhari grasping her hand and pulling her somewhere, splashing through slippery mud and yellow-brown water. She heard men shouting and screaming over the screech of splintering wood and the roar of earth and rock.

She turned in time to see the side of the hill collapse, sliding down into the deep valley with a deafening rush. And in the centre, she caught a brief glimpse of the red, wood-shingled roof of the house where Durio and his friends had caused her so much pain. Then it was gone, swallowed up in a mess of earth and rock and water.
I'm out of time, sorry, but in general I liked it. I'd have liked to have known ages etc earlier on, nd I think, for me, it came to the top end of my description tolerance but mine is much lower than most.

I like it -- it's a very nice start to something.

I place her at twelve to fourteen, from the overall picture.

There is an awful lot of description of the mud -- ochre, and yellow, and pale, and yellow-brown. I think I could do with less of that, really.

The only part that really jars is the first paragraph. The "grit and soil" part doesn't fit quite right with the mud -- it sounds drier than that. And there wouldn't be any ragged edges in that mud, while it's still pouring rain like that. It would be smooth and gooey, in my mind. Also, she's sitting next to the building, and the rain is pouring off the roof in a waterfall, which makes me stop and think how the roof is put together; she's getting wet in the rain, but I don't think she would be sitting under the waterfall, so it's a peaked roof and she's on a side that doesn't channel water down...it's all very distracting, right there.

After that part, it's all good, to me!

Hi folks!

Tiger crouched in the dirt at the side of the wooden building, drawing her thin fingers through the mud. The lines formed symbols, complex and interwoven, ragged edges in the grit and soil. Straight black hair, plastered to her skull by the persistent rain, hung down in front of her eyes and dripped onto the marks she made. The hair is dripping down? The rain drummed a staccato beat onto the wooden shingle roof, poured off the edge in a waterfall, and ran down the centre of the street in an ochre river. Tiger shivered. There were safer places to be, that much was certain. Coming back here, after everything Durio had done to her, was like dancing along the cloud path with her eyes closed. Terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.

“Ariham curse this place,” she murmured, the marks under her fingers growing deeper as she retraced them. The yellowish mud was icy cold and gritty under her broken nails. “And all who claim shelter here.” A sharp stone sliced into the skin on her finger and she winced. Blood was good. It would wash into the ground and strengthen the curse.

Thunder rumbled around the mist-shrouded mountains as the storm growled. Tiger felt the hairs on her arms prick up at the sound. The cut on her finger throbbed.

Is this plausible? Wouldn't they have to go and grab another child?

“You!”

Tiger seems quite young - mid-teens? Yes, it's powerful full-throttle stuff. Probably not too much description. I want to make a cautionary comment though. Child abuse is a controversial subject. I don't read "young adult" fiction so you may be better placed to judge if the child abuse theme is going too far, or if this is what young adult fiction is like these days. Don't change your story if you are sure you've handled your theme in a sufficiently sensitive manner, but if you're not sure, you might want to tone things down.
In my own draft fiction I've often included 'adult' material, and the response from peer reviewers was usually negative, ranging from complaints about porn, to snarky comments like "500 words without any torture!" Where I later cut or toned things down it generally wasn't any loss.

How much more is there? As it stands there is a certain sense of 'starting in the middle'. Again, is this what YA fiction is like? I'm more used to fantasy novels that take a while to get the thing under way, and start with a scene that is more intriguing than full-throttle. For instance the 1980's historical fantasy "The Road and the Hills" starts (very effectively) with a couple of pages of a minor character boiling up a cabbage.

One question I have is why does she curse " and all who claim shelter here" and what happens to whatever other girls that are inside? Being carried away by a mudslide, (if she was indeed its cause) seems harsh, as she was, apparently, recently one of them and is in the process of rescuing another.

If there's only one girl at a time, and the rest are whatever functionaries may be necessary for whatever is happening to her than you should try to indicate that somehow. Or maybe that will come later. It's a good intro as it stands IMO and makes me want to read more.

Good dramatic imagery, though, and very good dialogue

You don't need the comma after "dead girl, walking". It's wrong usage if that's what a gahette is and lessens the impact

This is both interesting and well written. I'm liking the elemental nature of the curse and a lot of the imagery used. As has been said, the description of colours is overdone a little. More doesn't always add to the imagery.

On first read it seemed that Tiger's curse is what had caused the screams from within the building. But on second read I'm assuming it was Dario and Tiger was just waiting to see who he had been mistreating this time? This meant that on the first read the "screamers never lasted" meant she had cursed people plenty of times before and the curse was at work at that very time. I think that there's no clear link between the curse and screams being separate and the fact blood is used in the curse and Adi emerges bleeding dulls the line.

Other than that, there are only minor grammatical errors but you've asked for a higher level crit so I don't see the purpose of those at this time. It's a good read :)

I see a lot of YA manuscripts that have this particular voice: the way the rhythm plays out, the word-choice, sentence cadence. For my personal taste I prefer unusual voices, but this is a popular style because it sells. However, you're not going to stand out in the crowd with this writing style -- if you want to be noticed, perhaps borrow stylistically from some adult authors and see where that gets you.

I disagree with an earlier commenter: not all mud is smooth and goopy. Most of it has bigger rocks and sharp bits in. But if you want to submerge us in your description you might like to focus more widely--perhaps there is a slight overemphasis on the colour of the mud.

I didn't like Tiger's name. Initially it screamed Mary Sue...and then I found out where it came from. Interesting, but I wondered why she'd keep a name coined by an abuser.

Thunder rumbled around the mist-shrouded mountains as the storm growled.
Thunder rumbled and storm growled are redundant, pick your favorite.

Their black gaze landed on Tiger; standing out of sight of the doorway at the side of the building.
You are contradicting yourself. Wrong punctuation.
Their black gaze landed on Tiger, standing in the shadows of the side doorway.

She knew she should be scared, but anger overrode her fear.
Punctuation. Personally, I like her owning her fear.

His blue eyes bulged with disbelief as he recognized her.

Things that crawl and eat the dead, and they see you and you are beneath those creatures.

Nice draft. Work on punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.