Great Writing Examples

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
Hi there:

In recent months I've been studying the way different authors write, learning everything I can, and I only wish I'd started doing this sooner!

Sometimes it's helped me to read a prose style quite unlike my own. So, for example, while my approach to POV is similar to that of Joe Abercrombie, unlike him I don't often opt for short/fragmentary sentences. I was happy to take note of how he does it (something I can utilise at times, and I do always prefer short sentences for impact) but as a rule it isn't for me. When I try to write like that I get stuck constantly.

What has helped me more than anything (helped me write more smoothly, consistently and aesthetically) has been to read more flowing styles. Notably the likes of Ursula Le Guin and Guy Gavriel Kay. I've been devouring all their works (!) but sadly I will run out at some point.

Can people recommend some of the very best examples in terms of writing / prose style, and possibly a few in a similar vein to Le Guin and Kay?

Thank you,

Coragem.

I consider Victor Hugo to be the best writer who has ever put pen to paper...

Hmm. Having recently read The Hunchback of Notre Dame (admittedly in translation only) I can't endorse Gumboot's recommendation of Hugo, for that novel, at least, not unless you like long-winded digressions in the Victorian manner, with bucket-loads of sentimentality and implausible characters. (Though it's interesting how he nonetheless compels you to keep reading, so it might be worth analysing for that alone.)

For style, I always look to two very different authors -- Jane Austen and PG Wodehouse. Austen uses the cadences of educated Georgian England naturally; Wodehouse was a stickler for using the right word to give a line humour. Perhaps, Coragem, neither one is someone you'd want to emulate, but if you're in studying mode they might be of help.

I would second Wodehouse.

In his novels, he was always recycling plots and characters (though it was always fun to see how he was combining them). His real genius came out in the wordplay, especially the dialogue.

He was such a master of the English language, he made it lie down and roll over, play dead, and sit up and beg.

It's hard to recommend "good prose", since opinions vary so much. Many people love the prose in Cormac McCarthy's The Road, but personally I find all the false-archaic stuff forced and irritating.

I'd always point to Chandler and Orwell as absolute experts in writing prose. Chandler, while easy to parody, had a superb eye for a concise metaphor.Wodehouse was extremely good (the prize-giving scene in, IIRC, Right Ho Jeeves is exceptional). Likewise Amis' prose in Lucky Jim is very funny. I gather his later books are weaker, though.

Of course, there's also Peake, who wrote some of the best prose in fantasy, but I wouldn't recommend directly copying his style, which can be very florid. Holdstock's dialogue is weak, but his prose could be pretty decent at times. Le Carre can be quite windy, but when he's on the mark, his writing is good. I'd recommend The Secret Pilgrim in particular. There's also some very good writing in journalism and non-fiction. I quite enjoy Christopher Hitchens' writing, although it can get a bit ranty, and I thought that the writing in Fergal Keane's history book Road of Bones was very clear and eloquent.

Fritz Leiber.

He manages to put sweeping descriptions into one paragraph. I've only read a book of his short stories, but it struck me as a three volume epic done in miniature.

Hmm. Having recently read The Hunchback of Notre Dame (admittedly in translation only) I can't endorse Gumboot's recommendation of Hugo, for that novel, at least, not unless you like long-winded digressions in the Victorian manner, with bucket-loads of sentimentality and implausible characters. (Though it's interesting how he nonetheless compels you to keep reading, so it might be worth analysing for that alone.)

I wasn't thinking of The Hunchback of Notre Dame but rather Les Misérables. It is widely regarded as one of the most important books ever written; an accolade it readily deserves.

Thanks for all the suggestions. A read more than a few already (Les Mis, Jane Austin, PG Woodhouse) although at the time (annoyingly) I wasn't reading them 'as a writer' – the prose was wasted on me! I will revisit.

Tesesa, following your recommendation in another thread I've bought Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster books.

I'd been keen to hear of a few more suggestions within SFF. Ideally some options with a bit of heroism and romance thrown in, although maybe that's asking too much …?

Thanks,

Coragem.

I wasn't thinking of The Hunchback of Notre Dame but rather Les Misérables. It is widely regarded as one of the most important books ever written; an accolade it readily deserves.

Completely agree Gumboot, I could not put Les Misérables down when I was reading it, practically had to have it surgically removed. A towering work of brilliance in my opinion.

The King of Elfland's Daughter, by Lord Dunsany: incredible poetic prose - I'd pay good money to hear it read aloud on a warm summer's evening (you remember those from your childhood?) in a castle setting, or deep in a forest...

I'd pay good money to hear it read aloud on a warm summer's evening (you remember those from your childhood?)

Showing my age, but it would be the summer of '76 and the transister radio whispering the sax solo of Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street amongst the gentle zephers of summer air...

Of course that shows you how dodgy memory is, because Baker street was only released in 1978, but somehow it's managed to backdate itself in my mind!

...anyway back to topic.

Coragem, you are homing in on a particular style (unfortunately I've only read one book of the authors that you mention, so I can't really put my finger on what might be similar). Do you find that if you read a style that is different (or just don't like) from the one you are developing in your writing, then does this negatively impact your writing?

Last edited:
More books worth reading for style:
Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
The Ill-Made Mute, Cecilia Dart-Thornton
Master and Commander, Patrick O'Brian (and its twenty or so sequels)
The Curse of Chalion, Lois McMaster Bujold

I particularly love the writing of Le Guin, Austen, Kay, Tolkien and McKillip, just so you know where I'm coming from.

If you're looking at contemporary fantasy, such as Abercrombie and Kay, I would definitely recommend George R R Martin's "Game of Thrones" if you haven't already read it. He is extremely concise, but manages to evoke the most description from the least words. His general chapter structure is good, too: few lines of dialogue, then introspection, repeat - keeps the reader in the characters head while helping to push the scene forward.

The King of Elfland's Daughter, by Lord Dunsany:

On my "to read" pile.

Coragem, you are homing in on a particular style (unfortunately I've only read one book of the authors that you mention, so I can't really put my finger on what might be similar). Do you find that if you read a style that is different (or just don't like) from the one you are developing in your writing, then does this negatively impact your writing?

Up to a point, yes. Lately I loved reading The Heroes and learned a lot from it. However, the fragmentary stile (using full stops when most authors would use commas) slowed down my own writing. I started thinking in fragments, and experimenting endlessly with breaking up my sentences more than normal. When I switched back to reading some Le Guin my writing sped up again.

I would definitely recommend George R R Martin's "Game of Thrones"

I'm amazed you haven't noticed me raving about GRRM. I guess you SFF Chrons big kahunas don't notice us mere 'members'. GRRM is probably my favourite author if I had to pick one. And I met him recently, at Eastercon! Unfortunately I devoured nearly all his material before I began writing … not that I won't go back to it when it feel right.

Coragem.

I'm amazed you haven't noticed me raving about GRRM. I guess you SFF Chrons big kahunas don't notice us mere 'members'. GRRM is probably my favourite author if I had to pick one. And I met him recently, at Eastercon! Unfortunately I devoured nearly all his material before I began writing … not that I won't go back to it when it feel right.

I just found it strange you didn't mention him, hence why I did - I use him as a personal reference and guide for my own writing. Not that I think I write like GRRM, but I learn a lot from it.

I would highly recommend reading in areas you don't write in also; it forces you to focus on the language without the distraction of examining the plot in the same way you might if you were looking to learn the ins and outs of sff.

My personal favourites would be Lolita, and anything by William Faulkner (both make me swoon) though you can't beat a bit of Dickens for characterisation.

I have yet to read GRRM - ducks the thrown pens and pencils - but I have set an order in the local library. I had earlier reservations hearing about all the gore, and I am not a gore for gore sake type of reader. I probably should just read it with so many recommendations.

I love Kay, his work is a pure pleasure to read.

I have yet to read GRRM - ducks the thrown pens and pencils - but I have set an order in the local library. I had earlier reservations hearing about all the gore, and I am not a gore for gore sake type of reader. I probably should just read it with so many recommendations.

I love Kay, his work is a pure pleasure to read.

Kay's work absolutely is a pleasure, and brilliance … but it is not without gore!

There were scenes in Song for Arbonne that were much harder for me to stomach than anything GRRM has written.

Coragem.