Thomas Pynchon - Where to Start?

Finnien

I've been stumbling across references to Thomas Pynchon's work for a long time now, in a variety of contexts - and with it, containing a variety of opinions, from the 'must read' to the 'meandering, dense, obtuse'. The latter has always put me off more because I'm lazy than because I thought I wouldn't get something worthwhile out of it.

However, today I ran across two different worthwhile references, one by Jack Womack (whose Ambient/Dryco novels I absolutely adore) and another in reference to intelligent steampunk. For those who are familiar with his work, where would you recommend I start if I wanted to try Pynchon on for size, so to speak? And what should I avoid starting with?

Thanks for any input, or just for bothering to read this. ;)

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW.

GRAV . . . well you get the idea.

--Chris DeVito

I probably would not begin my exploration of Pynchon with Gravity's Rainbow, not because I have read it yet and have a firm opinion on it either way, on the contrary I have a copy but am yet to embark upon that particular journey but rather based upon its 'reputation' as being a somewhat dense dare one say at times impenetrable text along the lines of Joyce's Ulysses. This is not to say that Gravity's Rainbow is not a masterpiece or Pynchon's finest work but as I have only read V and The Crying of Lot 49 and thought well of both of these and certainly didn't find them to be over problematic in terms of following the overall storyline (albeit Lot 49 is somewhat convoluted but still manageable and V does ramble a little in the latter stages) that is where I would begin.

Still, there will be members here who will have read a lot more Pynchon than myself, VideoChrist may well be one of these and is obviously someone who has read GR, so watch this space for further commentary is what I would personally suggest.

Here also is a related thread you may find useful:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/531703-thomas-pynchon.html#post1495147

Cheers.

Last edited:
Finnien,

Gravity's Rainbow

I had no idea when I first picked up this novel about its reputation - perhaps this attitude helped. Also it was the first and only Pynchon that I've had time to read.

I devoured it. Probably in less than a week. Absolutely loved and adored it. Definitely in my list of top 10 or even top 3 books of all time.

I can understand that it may not be to others taste and it does tend to polarise opinion quite dramatically, so it's difficult for me to say, 'well, if you like Author X and Y, then you should definitely read Gravity's Rainbow' (not that my list of favourite authors will really have a bearing on this, for example I struggle somewhat with Ballard - an author that was mentioned in the thread you've just posted.)

Sometimes you just have to jump into the deep end and swim! It's exhilarating :)

Doesn't look like we had to wait long...;)

I will try to push this up my current to read pile.

I suppose the only problem with my recommendation is that I've not had the chance to go through his other work (too many books in this world...).

I believe for example there are a number of characters in Gravity's Rainbow that are first introduced in V and perhaps other earlier work. This did not spoil my enjoyment - but it may help those wary of tackling the book.

Gollum it looks like you will be in a much better position to comment on this, after you tackle GR ;).

Even though I found to be a rather mystifying read , V would be my choice.:)

Last edited:
My way into Pynchon was Mason & Dixon. I think you could fairly say that it's his least representative (in terms of prose style anyway - in terms of invention it's pure Pynchon) but it remains a favourite and for that reason alone I'd recommend it.