The Fourth Reich - the journey…

For me, that sounds much more intriguing (in both senses) than the other mock-up. I'm looking forward to seeing what the artist makes of it.

Thanks TJ.

I will post the first draft of the book cover here as soon as I have it.

I'm enjoying the whole experience of pulling this together. I have been polishing the first 12 chapters ready for beta readers. Probably in a month I will stick my toe in the water and send them it, and maybe even submit it to the Chrons writing group.

And like I have said, I am not ruling out the traditional route to publishing but am putting my energy into things I can control, over what someone else has control over.

Onwards and upwards:eek:

The idea for the cover was I laid out in post 40.

I have been working with the artist and suggested a first draft before she went to all the trouble of drawing the scene so you can view it below:

TFR-1stdraft-cover.jpg

So this was my reaction:

"10 out of 10. I love it.

Only suggestion of the perspective looked down at bit more, so so you can see the steps in front of the Volkshall (Peoples Hall)and I presume this is in a lightening storm?

And the only colour to be flags, red eyes of snake and maybe the swastika on the sword.

Regards Gary."

Will wait and see what she does with it now. The building in the background is the Volkshalle and is in the story as are all the other elements.

I wondered what people think?

Creepy-awesome! When you discribed it above I thought the ghost would be
More translucent and the sword / snake more prominent, but that looks fine too.
I agree with your color choice and love the faces the skulls make. Adds a lot of atmosphere.

the sword / snake more prominent, but that looks fine too. I agree with your color choice and love the faces the skulls make. Adds a lot of atmosphere.

I want the sword more defined for sure, the artist is going to do another simple draft taking into account my suggestions so we'll wait and see. By the way she's a very talented artist and she's a member here on Chrons.

I'm going to reveal her name with pomp and ceremony when the picture gets finished:eek:

I got the second draft back of the cover. I knew immediately which one I preferred.

Number 1 is the original and 2 is the new.

What does everyone think?

TFR-2nddraft-cover.jpg

I like #1 as well. You can see the character and flags much better, larger skulls will attract the eye too.

I like #2 (not to be difficult though) maybe its the way the building glows but it has a more sinister feel to it. and I love the storm in #2. also the skulls seem more angry and less whiny. the ghost's stance is more forceful and cocky, as though he is daring anyone to say he didnt kill all those people and pile their skulls up to carpet his way to rightful king of the underworld.

both are very well done and you wouldnt be wrong to chose ether.

The first one feels more personally involving, as if the observer is right there (and at the same level as those skulls). In the second, the building seems to hog the attention, which should be directed at the figure what he's standing on.

Definitely the first one -- the shadowy figure needs to dominate the picture, not be dwarfed by the building (though I do love how she's drawn the building in that second one with the sepulchral whiteness). Just a thought, but I'd make both the sword and the snake much more prominent, too -- I think they need to be as powerful as the ghost figure and much more substantial.

Thanks guys for taking the time to look.

I did prefer the 1st one also, so that's the one which is being taken to the next stage.:)

Watch this thread for developments.

Hey Gary. Interesting thread. I am looking forward to following your journey even though I can't really offer any expertise in the area you are writing in. Sounds like you have really thought about this. Do you have a list of choice agents you are planning on pitching to?

They are both clever. I know the symbolism of standing on skulls
BUT
The way my mind works I'm promptly thinking of how uneven the footing will be with all those skulls rolling on the steps, not to mention the possibility of getting your foot stuck up inside a skull, plus from watching Time Team, the jaw bone will not remain connected to the upper skull without the tendons or soil packed round it.
So my take would be to have a cascade of skulls down either side, or heaps - but leave the middle of the stairs clear.
:)

Hey Gary. Interesting thread. I am looking forward to following your journey even though I can't really offer any expertise in the area you are writing in. Sounds like you have really thought about this. Do you have a list of choice agents you are planning on pitching to?

Cheers RCG!

There is only 1 agent on my list.

If he's a no then onwards and upwards (It's not who you think - he was in a dream I had. It's a long story which I might tell one day.)

They are both clever. I know the symbolism of standing on skulls
BUT
The way my mind works I'm promptly thinking of how uneven the footing will be with all those skulls rolling on the steps, not to mention the possibility of getting your foot stuck up inside a skull, plus from watching Time Team, the jaw bone will not remain connected to the upper skull without the tendons or soil packed round it.
So my take would be to have a cascade of skulls down either side, or heaps - but leave the middle of the stairs clear.
:)

The figure is a ghost so I suppose it doesnt matter but I take your point.. Let's see how the artist takes it to the next level - 2nd draft coming soon:eek:

Cheers RCG!

There is only 1 agent on my list.

If he's a no then onwards and upwards (It's not who you think - he was in a dream I had. It's a long story which I might tell one day.)

That's very brave of you. I secretly have one agent on my list who I would love to be represented by, so I can't really criticise. ;)

Well I got the first draft of the cover yesterday. I bloody love it so well done Aty: aka A S Behsam.

As a surprise, yes that's right she knows nothing about this. I have built her a blog as payment which you can see at www.asbehsam.com

She's given her time for nothing and I have done the same. The website will remain cost free for as long as she wants it!

Hopefully when she logs on, she will get a surprise of her life. Once she does, I do have quite a funny story to reveal about one of her relatives.

For anyone who doesn't know, Aty is Iranian and this is proof that if you take the politicians out of the equation. The peoples of the world can live in perfect harmony.

I am going to make some changes (not much, I promise Aty) but I will see what everyone thinks before I do;)

TheCoverArt.png

Ooh. Very chilling! I'd like a touch more texture on the serpents in the foreground, to differentiate them from the skulls a little more, but very good. No Union Jack, though? (Or is that on the far right? I can't quite make that one out.)

Thanks TJ. Yes good idea.

I thought maybe the shadow doing a Nazi salute and the sword/snake stuck in the ground next to him. Also, maybe the sword/snake a little bigger also.

I have the EU flag. I thought that would cover us but now you have mentioned it maybe it should be in?