A Princess of Mars, the 1st John Carter adventure

Jeffbert

I mentioned that I had read the entire series some time ago, & just the other day, I heard that THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS was now making this available for on-line reading. I doubt that those with foreign IPs will be able to do so, though.

http://read.gov/ is the site's main page; I do not know if it will allow foreign viewers to read it, but the MORE ABOUT THIS BOOK link leads to a page with the cover art on it. The image, is anything but representative of the clothes the Martians wore, though. :D I recall, they wore little more than g-strings, and harnesses or belts for carrying weapons.

Anyway, this book opens with John Carter in the U.S. desert, as I recall, he was being pursued by Indians, & suddenly found himself on Mars, whose inhabitants called it Barsoom.

I keep meaning to read all of them again. All ( I think) are available for free download from gutenberg.

Yup works fine for me too, though I note that the Gutenberg download appears to be taken from the same edition. At least the illustrations are the same.

I recently splashed out on the Bison Frontiers of Imagination editon that contains the first three stories in this sereis and was great fun.

images

I've got 3 books with 2 novels per volume of the series I picked up in the late seventies from SF book club. It's not clear to me wheter they were written as Science Fiction or Fantasy but they are a lot of fun and well worth the effort if you just want to escape the real world for a while.

I just started reading this for the 2nd time; though there are many others I should read 1st.

With the John Carter movie coming out (good, bad or indifferent), I need to read a couple I have on hand: The Chessmen of Mars & The Master Mind of Mars. But, of course, I'm trying to get through a lot of Leigh Brackett also. Where is the time?

I've just started reading A Princess of Mars again and you're right Vince it is still a good read. A little dated perhaps but somehow, in a nostalgic way, that only enhances its appeal!

I'm not sure how keen I am to share tastes with Reagan, but never mind :D Actually, looking at that article, I'm not sure I have ever heard of the sub genres "planetary romance" or "sword and planet" before but I guess they describe these books pretty accurately.

I knew that J. R. R. Tolkien had some acquaintance with Barsoom (letter to Richard Lupoff, qtd. in Lupoff's ERB book and qtd. from that source in the entry on 19th- and 20th-century influences on Tolkien, in J. R. R. Tolkien Encyclopedia).

I have just learned that he also had some awareness of Burroughs' Pellucidar. In the critical edition of Tolkien's Smith of Wootton Major edited by Flieger ("Extended Edition," 2005), we find the first publication of an essay by Tolkien on "Smith," which includes this passage:

"It is common in Fairy tales for the entrance to the fairy world to be presented as a journey underground, into a hill or mountain or the like. The origins of this do not concern me here. They lie largely in necrological imagination. But as used they are often mere 'rationalizations' -- like the diminution in the size of 'elves' -- a way of providing for a land of marvels within the same geography as that of Men. They are no more credible and no more interesting than Edgar Rice Burroughs tales dealing with a vast subterranean world. To me they kill the very idea of 'literary belief' that they are supposed to produce.

"My symbol is not the underground, whether necrological and Orphic or pseudo-scientific in jargon, but the Forest: the regions still immune from human activities, not yet dominated by them...." (p. 86).

Incidentally, this book is one of several very worthwhile Tolkien books that his American publisher has declined, I believe, to publish. Others are Tolkien on Fairy-Stories and The Art of The Hobbit. I am glad that the British publisher (Harper Collins -- did they buy up Allen and Unwin?) is willing to publish these even if the publisher perhaps doesn't anticipate selling a lot of copies.

Tolkein displaying some unworthy literary snobbery there I think, considering his best mate wrote a series of books about children ending up in a magical world via wardrobes, paintings and, yes, the London Underground.

I'm pretty sure Tolkein on Fairy Stories is in my copy of Smith of Wootton Major.

Tolkein displaying some unworthy literary snobbery there I think, considering his best mate wrote a series of books about children ending up in a magical world via wardrobes, paintings and, yes, the London Underground.

I'm pretty sure Tolkein on Fairy Stories is in my copy of Smith of Wootton Major.

Tolkien's objection is to undue rationalization of an "Other World." If I were going to disagree with Tolkien (and his remark, be it remembered, is from a draft of an essay that he never published in any form), I might say that the Pellucidar books are meant to be science fiction, an integral element in which is the provision or implying of a "rational" explanation, while in stories of Faerie that same "rational" is suspended -- so Tolkien is irrelevantly intruding something relating to one genre while thinking of another. Part of the effect of the Pellucidar books is exactly this, that under our feet there is a primeval world going on right now, and anyone who can make the journey through the earth and emerge alive would get there. In theory, there is nothing "elusive" about the matter -- and this is not the case with the realm of Faerie.

Tolkien on Fairy-Stories is a critical edition of Tolkien's famous long essay "On Fairy-Stories," and includes the final text thereof plus drafts and commentary. Ballantine's paperback The Tolkien Reader included "On Fairy-Stories" and Farmer Giles of Ham and some other short works. There are books that include Smith and Farmer Giles in one volume, but I don't recognize the edition you describe... if you do indeed have a book with the essay and Smith, I'd be interested. That would be a good pairing, really.

Interesting stuff!

Yes -- by the way, another interesting bit from these critical editions comes from Tolkien on Fairy-Stories -- Tolkien knew M. R. James's Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, arguably the best collection of ghost stories in the language. In case anyone's interested, I'll post a couple of things that I wrote for the fine Tolkien newsletter Beyond Bree

http://www.cep.unt.edu/bree.html

on the matter.

TOLKIEN AND M. R. JAMES AND J. S. LE FANU​
by Dale Nelson​
Not long ago I wrote about 19th- and 20th-century influences on Tolkien for Routledge’s Tolkien Encyclopedia. If I had known then that the professor was acquainted with M. R. James’s Ghost Stories of an Antiquary (1904), I’d have proposed the barrow-wight episode in The Fellowship of the Ring as a passage showing possible “influence.” I’ve only just found out about Tolkien’s awareness of this volume of James’s tales, from the new critical edition of On Fairy-Stories prepared by Verlyn Flieger and Douglas A. Anderson (London: Harper Collins, 2008; Tolkien’s very brief reference is on page 261).

James wrote four collections of ghost stories, concluding the series in 1925. His stories eschew the conventional Victorian trappings. There are no translucent shades pointing woefully at wall panels or desks that conceal documents whose disclosure will at last secure peace for the dead, justice for the innocent, or punishment for the guilty. However, there is a convincing atmosphere of scholarship in these stories by James (1862-1936), who was a medievalist and the translator of the so-called “New Testament Apocrypha.” He is best known, though, for his ghost stories. The “Jamesian tradition” that developed eventually included collections of stories by R. H. Malden, A. N. L. Munby, L. T. C. Rolt, and others.

Throughout James’s four books, the “ghost” is generally not a specter, but kin to the draug of Norwegian and Icelandic lore: it is undead, repulsive of appearance, tangible, murderous, and perhaps the guardian of buried treasure or a haunter connected with some ancient object. The entity in “’Oh, Whistle, and I’ll Come to You, My Lad,’” perhaps James’s most famous story, is associated with a centuries-old whistle, while the “ghost” in “A Warning to the Curious” guards an ancient crown buried in the sand. Some of James’s “ghosts,” such as the one in “Canon Alberic’s Scrap-book,” are like demons in medieval art, or may be tentacled monstrosities, such as the pursuer in “Count Magnus.” Often the Jamesian “ghost” is an active but frightfully emaciated corpse. In the first collection of stories, “The Ash-Tree” provides not only a horribly withered undead attacker, but, interestingly, some large, disgusting spiders, which the creator of “Old Tomnoddy, all big body” in The Hobbit would have appreciated.

The Jamesian ghost is usually glimpsed, or at least not described extensively. The protagonists, scholarly bachelors who, like hobbits, have no desire for excitement, quite often escape having experienced nothing worse than a bad scare. One reason the stories are appealing to many readers is that they combine a sophisticated tone of pedantry with a basically schoolboyish spookery. James censured the introduction of excessive gruesomeness and of sexuality into the ghost story. Effects should be nicely calculated, he wrote in a 1929 essay. “Malevolence and terror, the glare of evil faces, 'the stony grin of unearthly malice', pursuing forms in darkness, and 'long-drawn, distant screams', are all in place, and so is a modicum of blood, shed with deliberation and carefully husbanded; [but] the weltering and wallowing that I too often encounter merely recall the methods of M. G. Lewis.” The loathsome and the dreadful are to be evoked, tastefully, as a mere “peep into Pandemonium.” The object is entertainment, and it was as entertainments that James read some of his tales to intimate audiences on Christmas Eve.

James was an admirer of the ghost stories of the Irish-born Victorian author Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1814-1873), and edited a collection of his magazine work as Madame Crowl’s Ghost and Other Tales of Mystery (1923). Le Fanu’s novel The House by the Churchyard contains a short story, “The Authentic Narrative of the Ghost of a Hand,” that is sometimes published independently. A household is terrorized by a hand.

“There was a candle burning on a small table at the foot of the bed, beside the one [Mr. Prosser] held in one hand […]. He drew the curtain at the side of the bed, and saw Mrs. Prosser lying, as for a few seconds he mortally feared, dead, her face being motionless, white, and covered with a cold dew; and on the pillow, close beside her head, and just within the curtains, was, as he first thought, a toad—but really the same fattish hand, the wrist resting on the pillow, and the fingers extended towards her temple.” It transpires that Mrs. Prosser was in a “trance,” and afflicted by horrifying visions or nightmares, while the hand was there.

One wonders if Tolkien might have come across this story at some time before writing “Fog on the Barrow-Downs.”* In that chapter, Frodo, Merry, Sam and Pippin are drawn into a burial mound, and the latter three are cast into a spellbound sleep, somewhat as Mrs. Prosser is. Frodo sees a “long arm… groping, walking on its fingers towards Sam, who was lying nearest.” Frodo grabs a sword and attacks the arm, “and the hand broke off.” Tom Bombadil rescues the hobbits, but as Frodo leaves the barrow he thinks he sees “a severed hand wriggling still.” As if adapting James’s technique, Tolkien provides very little description of the haunter.

So far as I know, Tolkien had no special interest in or liking for ghost stories, but the barrow-wight episode, with its aura of antiquity, and the physical appearance and custodial character of the glimpsed “wight,” recalls the standard Jamesian scenario. The sequence, Tom Shippey has written in The Road to Middle-earth, “could almost be omitted without disturbing the rest of the plot.”** Its inclusion inserted a Jamesian entertainment into The Lord of the Rings; it is an adventure that lacks the sense of seriousness that develops as the great narrative continues.

Notes

*The creeping hand in the barrow may have originated in young Michael Tolkien’s dream of “a gloved hand without an arm that opened curtains a crack after dark and crawled down the curtain.” Tolkien made a colored drawing of this hand, called Maddo, in 1928 (Hammond and Scull: J. R. R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator, pp. 83-84). Of course it’s just possible that young Michael’s dream derived from a reading of Le Fanu’s story, or a retelling of it.

**The barrow-wight episode provides Merry with the sword with which he stabs the chief of the Ringwraiths in The Return of the King; no other blade, we are told, could have dealt the Witch-King so bitter a wound, “cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will.” However, Éowyn’s sword-thrust is the coup de grace. The reader may wonder if the detail about Merry’s blade was a not entirely convincing ploy intended to justify retention of a passage not really integral to the book.

One might consider a more positive take on the episode. We know that the Barrow-wight dates back to a Bombadil poem written before The Lord of the Rings. We see Tolkien drawing up, into the more serious morality of LOTR, material that could indeed be -- for the most part -- integrated into it because it readily related itself to the key theme of the spiritual danger of acquisitiveness. It was appropriate to bring in this theme in an early adventure that was commensurate with the "hobbitry" of the opening chapters. It's as if Tolkien resourcefully, though not perhaps completely, assimilated and transformed the Jamesian entertainment, whose spooks are often possessive beings, for the purposes of LOTR, after having responded imaginatively to it just as amusing creepiness that left a trace in the early Bombadilia.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Also relevant to Tolkien and M. R. James (I know, this is supposed to be a thread on E. R. B.):

A JAMESIAN SOURCE FOR TOLKIEN’S CONCEPTION OF GOLLUM?​
by Dale Nelson​
Plate VI of John Rateliff’s Mr. Baggins, the first of the two volumes of The History of The Hobbit, shows a detail from Tolkien’s “Father Christmas Letter” of 1932, which Rateliff says shows a painting of Smaug on a cave wall, and Gollum himself peeking around the edge of a cavern tunnel.

The Gollum-image is very small, but it recalled to my mind James McBryde’s picture of the demonic guardian of “Canon Alberic’s Scrap-Book ” from M. R. James’s 1904 book Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, which, thanks to the critical edition of Tolkien’s “On Fairy-Stories” that has been prepared by Anderson and Flieger, we now know Tolkien had read. Readers are invited to compare the two images. The McBryde illustration is reproduced here.

Gollum’s starved but ghastly tenacity is in keeping with the demeanor of the typical Jamesian haunter.

mcbryde2.jpg

My Jamesian postings seem to have stopped discussion cold at this thread. Guess I'd better see if it can be revived! Why was the title changed from Under the Moons of Mars to A Princess of Mars -- does anyone know?

My Jamesian postings seem to have stopped discussion cold at this thread. Guess I'd better see if it can be revived! Why was the title changed from Under the Moons of Mars to A Princess of Mars -- does anyone know?
Has it been? My volume is called "Under the Moons of Mars" but contains the first three books of the series. I don't think anyone's retitled the first volume, when it's published on it's own anyway.

Wiki has this to say:
Serialization
The original publication of "Under the Moons of Mars" in The All-Story, February 1912When Burroughs received his acceptance letter from Thomas Metcalf of The All-Story, Metcalf said that the serial would be published under the title In the Moons of Mars. However, when the first part of the serialization appeared in the February 1912 edition of The All-Story, it bore the title "Under the Moons of Mars".[11] For serial publication, Burroughs used the pen name "Normal Bean," chosen as a type of pun to stress that he was in his right mind, as he feared ridicule for writing such a fantastic story. The effect was spoiled when a typesetter interpreted "Normal" as a typographical error and changed it to "Norman."[12]

Book
By 1914, Burroughs had become very popular with the reading public, and A.C. McClurg & Company decided to print a number of his formerly serialized tales as novels. McClurg began with three Tarzan novels, and then published A Princess of Mars on October 10, 1917.[13] Although Metcalf thought that the chapter "Sola Tells Me Her Story" slowed the story's pace, and thus omitted it from the magazine serialization, this chapter was restored for the novel version.[10] The novel was illustrated by Frank E. Schoonover, who carefully read the descriptive passages on the costumes and weapons of Barsoom and developed an overall concept for the artwork, even ensuring that John's Carter's pistol and belt in his cover illustration reflected their origins in Green Martian craftsmanship.[14]

Under The Moons of Mars is the title used for a couple of omnibus editions and a recent anthology of shorts "inspired" by Burroughs. As best as I can tell the only original publication using this title was in its serial form.