What I've Learned: E-Book Covers

DaveWallace

Okay, this had been to my mind an unnecessarily long and difficult process, so I'd like to share a few things I think I've picked up along the way.

The first is that if you can't do the cover yourself, commission it before you think you need it. Like way before you need it. I only went forward with the cover commission when I had completed the final draft---way too long to wait, especially if you're shooting for a particular time of year to release your book.

I would recommend commissioning the cover much earlier in the process, say when you're 3/4 through the first draft. By that time you should know all the spots in your book that would make good cover moments.

Another thing to note is that artists will often take longer than they estimate. This isn't done out of malice; they have other jobs and often something just comes up.

A local artist you've known for a long time and who isn't yet a full-on pro, but who has most of the skills is a better bet than that guy you saw on the internet who is a famous pro, but who won't put your cover at the top of his priority list.

Just some minor things that can make your experience a whole lot nicer IMO.

This sounds like really good advice (except that I have basically finished). Still, good to know a delay is eminently possible, or even likely.

I'd also add that it needs to look alright either full-sized or as a thumbnail, in colour (for browsing) or in grayscale.

thanks for this!! i'm definitely in the looking-for-cover-art stage. i'm giving myself lots of time to research and find the best ones. any good recommendations of particular cover artists?

also, what are some thoughts about costs and formatting? i'm running number estimates in my head, and freaking out. i'm not the most tech-savvy, so i don't think i can do good cover art and the formatting w/o commissioning someone. the grand total for both would prob be around $400. that means, i'll have to sell nearly 1,300 copies of my short story before i break even, which seems like a lot.... maybe i'm being a pessimist, but i'm completely new to this self-publishing thing, so dunno what to expect realistically.

I tend to be lazy and try to design my own. I never know when to finish, though.

....any good recommendations of particular cover artists?....

(now it sounds like I'm touting, but honestly I'm not, but....)

... why not check out the Chrons galleries. I know there are some really good artists here and you might see someone whose style fits exactly with what you're after.

Good luck, anyway :)

I tend to be lazy and try to design my own.

Nothing wrong with trying. Considering that an ebook cover should look good at smaller scales, it is not absolutely necessary to have a photo or painting. Creative typography alone might do the job. If the design is eye-catching and distinctive, it might also serve as a logo for an author, or at least a series of related books.

Hi,

I do my own as well, and I have to say with mixed results. Some I think are good, one at least is terrible. But seven books and four hundred bucks a go, that's nearly three grand already. And an outside editor costs even more. (One was going to charge me two grand just to review Maverick, 185k words). I know they say you've got to spend money to make money, but there are limits.

One thing I might do, is when the first book to really take off hits say five thousand sales, I might put it through both. But until then I think I'll just have to do the best I can myself.

Cheers, Greg.

The first is that if you can't do the cover yourself, commission it before you think you need it. Like way before you need it. I only went forward with the cover commission when I had completed the final draft---way too long to wait, especially if you're shooting for a particular time of year to release your book.

I think some specific timescales might be helpful here - after all, people take different amounts of time to write their books, so saying "3/4 of the way through the first draft" is a bit vague.

I only have experience of the commercial side of publishing, but my cover art was commissioned in March and the final image (sans lettering) was unveiled to the world in August. So, I would suggest that you plan for a 3-6 month lead time on cover art, depending on your artist's schedule.

Hope this helps!

That's about the same time scale for my traditionally published books. I agree that working with talented amateurs when you're publishing your own books may take longer, because they have no idea how long it will take them to finish. (They have no idea how long it will take you to finish, either, and may feel there is no rush.)

But 3/4 of the way through the first draft? If it's a first book, you should still have a lot of work ahead of you. I'd suggest 3/4 of the way through the third draft.

One advantage of self-publishing is that you don't have to meet deadlines and can take as long as you need to get the book exactly right. If you impose deadlines on yourself, you're likely to rush the project.

thanks for this!! i'm definitely in the looking-for-cover-art stage. i'm giving myself lots of time to research and find the best ones. any good recommendations of particular cover artists?

also, what are some thoughts about costs and formatting? i'm running number estimates in my head, and freaking out. i'm not the most tech-savvy, so i don't think i can do good cover art and the formatting w/o commissioning someone. the grand total for both would prob be around $400. that means, i'll have to sell nearly 1,300 copies of my short story before i break even, which seems like a lot.... maybe i'm being a pessimist, but i'm completely new to this self-publishing thing, so dunno what to expect realistically.

You know, this is pretty much the same line of thought I followed---and I think it cost me a bit. What I did was go out and start researching artists online, looking at portfolios and prices and estimates, then contacting those I thought would be the most appropriate for my situation.

So far so good, eh? I mean there's nothing wrong with any of that on the surface, and it could have worked out perfectly well for me.

But what happened was that I chose as you might expect, someone who was a great balance of wonderful art, good price, good work history, and a good quoted time frame. Which still sounds great. But then reality starts creeping in. You find out after you engage the guy or gal that he or she has other clients with bigger projects, and after all, you're just a first-time author, (though that is unspoken, as indeed is much of this). So expected deadlines slide and you take his promises, (after all, what are you going to do--you can't draw the thing, and to engage anyone else means starting all over again.

Then they let you know they've finished, but something has happened, something they should be able to fix. Then all communication stops. No matter how many e-mails you send, you get no answer.

Okay, this happened to me and I recovered from it by eventually engaging someone else, so I sat down and analyzed what I did wrong.

First, I went with a bigger name than I warranted as a first-time author, and I went in late in the game, when my deadlines were already starting to press up against what most artists could reasonably be expected to do.

Looking back on it, I should have gone to my local art supply store, and my local comic book shop, (even if you aren't an artist or a reader of comic books), to talk to the owners of those shops and find out who locally can supply my art needs. Those people are more likely to treat your project with greater importance and respect than an average random pro, especially if they do already know you. And they're a lot easier to get in touch with when you need to. This is in fact what I wound up doing, and got my art expedited because the artist was a friend and knew of my problem.

Next book, I plan on going with him from the start, but also I plan on giving him my requirements when I'm 75% done with my first draft. You'll never suffer from having your cover and catalog image done too early, but you will if you let it go too late, (assuming of course that you write someone like me and know what you best moments from your story are before you start).

Second, I only established one form of communication---email. There are times when both you and your artist are perhaps not going to want to talk to the other---but you need to be able to do so. So get a phone number, and give one too. In addition to whatever email addressed you get, (and get more than one).

As far a cost go, there's no hard and fast rule. Just do keep in mind that the old adage about getting what you pay for is as apt to be true here as anywhere. From my researches, anywhere from $150 US to $450 US isn't out of the ordinary.

If you search the internet, broadly speaking there are three types of artists you'll run into. The first two; the pros, seem to come in two basic flavors. Comic book artists, (who these days can be very much better than many people might think), and fantasy/sci-fi cover artists. The former usually offer shorter turn around times and lower costs.

The third type, exemplified by the website Deviant Art, encompasses a world of pros and amateurs of indefinable ability and reliability. That last is a problem, since you never know what you're going to get. Much like Mama Gump's chocolates, that also applies to every other artist you might engage to varying degrees, which is why I recommend using someone you know.

As for me, eventually, I intend, in my copious spare time between work, writing, personal life, and well...writing, to teach myself art, so that perhaps some day in the distant future, I might not be subject to the whims of others in that respect.

That's about the same time scale for my traditionally published books. I agree that working with talented amateurs when you're publishing your own books may take longer, because they have no idea how long it will take them to finish. (They have no idea how long it will take you to finish, either, and may feel there is no rush.)

But 3/4 of the way through the first draft? If it's a first book, you should still have a lot of work ahead of you. I'd suggest 3/4 of the way through the third draft.

One advantage of self-publishing is that you don't have to meet deadlines and can take as long as you need to get the book exactly right. If you impose deadlines on yourself, you're likely to rush the project.

Ah, well, that perhaps speaks to my own personal writing process, which uses only two real drafts. And for me the deadline here is the season. My marketing plan had somewhat relied on that among other things.

I've searched for freelance artists online before (even though the projects never ended up happening) and I quite like the job posting forum at the ConceptArt website. A few amazingly talented people contacted me through there.

But you'd need an eye for cover design as well, because most of the artists there do (surprise) concept art and not design.

Sorry, I'll go and introduce myself in the proper thread before I say anything else!

eventually, I intend, in my copious spare time between work, writing, personal life, and well...writing, to teach myself art, so that perhaps some day in the distant future, I might not be subject to the whims of others in that respect.

you know, i'm thinking along these same lines, as well - i haven't drawn anything for a long time, but i think i can become decent if only i had the time to practice.

and thanks for sharing your story! i'm always interested in hearing more about people's first-hand accounts of the process. so far, it seems like you have to just dive in and learn as you go.

YA author Mark Robson, who runs his own board on chrons, has spoken before about how carefully he's looked at cover design, and how these work in different situations.

For example, with his original self published series, he worked on the premise of trying to make the books stand out from a distance - hence a strong point of focus on each one, not least the firedrake on the first book, even though that creature is only in a small part of the story - it provides dramatic effect.

If you look at his excellent Assassin series as well, again, the covers are very well framed, and his dragon series go without saying.

The covers are all shown on his homepage here: http://www.markrobsonauthor.com/

YA author Mark Robson, who runs his own board on chrons, has spoken before about how carefully he's looked at cover design, and how these work in different situations.

For example, with his original self published series, he worked on the premise of trying to make the books stand out from a distance - hence a strong point of focus on each one, not least the firedrake on the first book, even though that creature is only in a small part of the story - it provides dramatic effect.

If you look at his excellent Assassin series as well, again, the covers are very well framed, and his dragon series go without saying.

The covers are all shown on his homepage here: http://www.markrobsonauthor.com/

Interesting stuff. I never had any problems visualizing what I wanted in a cover, or why I wanted it that way. Even the first pro I contacted, the one who sort of left me in the lurch, said it was a great idea for a cover. It was just getting someone to translate that idea into an actual cover that caused me the headaches. Like I said, I'm going to start teaching myself that so perhaps a few years down the line I won't be so dependent on someone else for that.

It's interesting to see how everyone went about this process. Since I knew I was going to post my book on Kindle, my starting point was looking at the Kindle store and seeing what jumped out at me. My conclusion was that lots of traditional fantasy and sci-fi art that looks great on paperback covers looks muddled and indistict at Kindle thumbnail size.

When I commissioned the artwork for my first novel, B-spine, the graphic designer and I always looked at every version at this little size. Do a search for my book on Kindle and see whether you think the end product worked.

It's a small additional point but do pay attention to the technical limits in the Kindle guide. We uploaded a version that was the correct file size to prevent the Kindle Store needlessly compressing the file and altering the image in any way.

Last edited:
That was one of the points I took into consideration with my cover - I was sent three colour variants and asked which one I preferred, and I chose the one that looked best as a thumbnail. Luckily my editor agreed with me :)

Admittedly it's not still ideal at that small size, but it's less of a featureless blur than many otherwise beautiful fantasy covers I've seen.

It's interesting to see how everyone went about this process. Since I knew I was going to post my book on Kindle, my starting point was looking at the Kindle store and seeing what jumped out at me. My conclusion was that lots of traditional fantasy and sci-fi art that looks great on paperback covers looks muddled and indistict at Kindle thumbnail size.

When I commissioned the artwork for my first novel, B-spine, the graphic designer and I always looked at every version at this little size. Do a search for my book on Kindle and see whether you think the end product worked.

It's a small additional point but do pay attention to the technical limits in the Kindle guide. We uploaded a version that was the correct file size to prevent the Kindle Store needlessly compressing the file and altering the image in any way.

Yeah, that was a big consideration, since I consider the catalog image to be a prime marketing tool. Mine looks okay there, I think.