August photography challenge - Discussions

Light?

This is going to be an interesting one, especially looking out of the window at the drab and grey day. It's going to be like this for a whole month now...

Could be some great photo's this month I feel.

Congrats, Wybren!!

Light eh? I was pretty rubbish at that one last time, let's see if I can do any better! Eep!

Congratulations again Wybren! And, thank you for this month's theme. I don't mind if it's been done before, because at least this way I get a chance to join in too :D (having not been a site member for the last time round).

My first entry is up.

I've been thinking of ideas all week and this one was set up and taken last night. I've only got the camera on my mobile phone to use, but, as it turns out, there's loads of different settings I can use. The photo I went with in the end was 1 of 37 total shots whilst experimenting with all said features! I think I'm enjoying this :D

Although I have others photos I'm not sure I am happy enough with them to add yet... must get thinking cap back on for entry number 2!!!

Excellent theme, Wy.:) I'm enjoying giving it another go.

For my first entry, I was trying to take a photo of a duckling down at the river, but he went too close to the bank just as I took the picture. I loved the way the sunlight caught the water around him, though, and posted it.:)

There was a fantastic double rainbow as I was walking home last night, a surprise entry I thought.

The mobile did not do it justice, and then I got home, grabbed my camera and the battery went..... :(

DOUBLE RAINBOW! All the way across the skkkkyy...it's almost...a triple rainbow!

OK, that's a little old now. But I'll never be able to hear the words double rainbow without launching into it.

There was a fantastic double rainbow as I was walking home last night, a surprise entry I thought.

The mobile did not do it justice, and then I got home, grabbed my camera and the battery went..... :(

I had exactly the same problem! Though I managed to capture it on my mobile camera (on route back from the shops purchasin a bottle of wine :)), it really didn't do it justice... so I decided against using it :(

Gah! Some good ones already.

Missy, very clever!

Thank you Mouse :eek:

I love yours! I tried a couple of 'street shots in the dark' myself but nothing nearly as pretty as yours!

My second entry is now up! It has to be said though, a mere 5 minutes after the photo was taken, the skies darkened and the heavens absolutely opened... the rain drops were ma-hoosive!!! But, glad I managed to capture this picture first :D

Okay, so stealing the idea from Perp in the writing challenges, I thought I might try my hand at saying a few good words for each of the photo's taken so far... I can't help myself, some of the pictures are just too good not to say anything about :p

I might not be able to offer any advice about photo techniques (not being a photographer myself and all that jazz), but I know what I think is pretty and, for some odd reason feel I want to share my thoughts of some of the photo's so far: -

StormFeather: First Photo - I really like this picture. I love how the sun seems to be 'resting' on the branch! And the pale shades on the sky are truly beautiful.

LittleMissy: No wait... that's me... I can't really comment on my own can I!? :p

Talysia: First photo - Although it's a shame the duckling has gone, I love how the light has reflected in this one, it's really pretty and sparkly (and I do love sparkly things).

Mouse: First Photo - As I said before, this is a very pretty shot. My attempts at something similar didn't even come to within a fraction of the prettiness of this one. I love the flare (if that's the right technical word!?) of the lights themselves. And the empty street just makes it all the more prettyful :D

Perpetual Man: First Photo - The moon looks so pretty in this picture, and I love the way you can see it lighting the clouds in front of it. Even more so, I love the lower half of the anchor you can see just below it... is this perhaps the anchor that holds the moon in place in our fair skys!? Second Photo - Is it a disco ball? Or a lighted crystal? Whatever it is the colours are stunning and I do love coming back to this one to see the pink immersed/intermingled and yet standing out quite vibrantly from the blue!

alchemist: First Photo - This is a beautiful picture. You've really captured the lighthouse in such a way that my eye is always drawn back to it. The white of the buildings stand out so much against the scenery that, to me at least, you might not notice the beauty of that too (but I did come back to the photo often enough to appreciate that too :D).

mosaix: First Photo - This firework shot is amazing and something that maybe, one day (with the right training and the right camera), I hope to be able to achieve myself! A truly stunning shot to my eye. Second photo - The black and white of this picture makes it seem so timeless. It's the kind of picture I would expect to see hanging on someone's living room wall! I truly admire what you have achieved in this photo.

Star Girl: First Photo - The candle is so simple, and yet so beautiful. You have managed to capture a still-flame and it really keeps my eye watching... just in case it moves! Second Photo - A beautiful capture... the sea almost seems like a completely reflectively surface, and yet... you can imagine the tide waiting to roll in in this one... just as soon as you blink, the scenery changes!

Thanks for the comments LittleMissy, they're greatly appreciated. (It's weird to get it from this angle though...)

The second photo, I could tell you what it is, but it'll ruin the effect ;)

Nice idea. Thanks Missy! :)

I'm busy oohing and eering over my second photo. I've got two to choose from but I'm not sure which one to go for.

Loving the new photos which have come in. Particularly Mosaix's tree.

edit: my photo is a long exposure shot. I guess that's sort of a technical term?!

mosaix: First Photo - This firework shot is amazing and something that maybe, one day (with the right training and the right camera), I hope to be able to achieve myself! A truly stunning shot to my eye. Second photo - The black and white of this picture makes it seem so timeless. It's the kind of picture I would expect to see hanging on someone's living room wall! I truly admire what you have achieved in this photo.

Thanks, LittleMissy. :)

I am happy it was appreciated :D It just felt right to share with you all the thoughts that came to my mind from each of the photos.

Plus, I am hoping, and looking forward to, some more photos before this challenge closes. I can't help it, I'm a 'nosey neighbour' and love to see what other people come up with :p

I got one, I got one! But it's not very good. The outer one is weak, dammit.

alchemist: First Photo - This is a beautiful picture. You've really captured the lighthouse in such a way that my eye is always drawn back to it. The white of the buildings stand out so much against the scenery that, to me at least, you might not notice the beauty of that too (but I did come back to the photo often enough to appreciate that too :D).

Thank you, Missy. It's very good of you to do reviews.

I've got about 40 other pictures I could post, some orthodox, most very experimental. So, I just thought I'd get a normal one in first.

And good pics Allanon. Get the photo's URL and wrap
around it. There's an icon to help in the Reply box.

Alchemist, thanx for the advice I shall do that next time, I'm a bit useless with computers!

And I'm glad you like my photos!!!