What are some of your favorite movies?

I'm not a Johnny Depp fan either but he was brilliant in Ed Wood and in Pirates of the Caribbean and Edward Scissorhands and Sweeney Todd (yuck, singing, but what a flick anyway) and even crap like Benny and Joon.

I'm kidding - I sort of have to be a fan of sorts even if I don't make a point to catch his films as such - I thought he did a horrible Willy Wonka but he's been pretty good in everything else I've seen him in - what would the poor guy have to do to make you a fan? :)

He's had his moments. Honestly, I've never liked much of anything Depp/Burton did together (Charlie, Sweeney, Corpse Bride, Scissorhands), but I generally don't like Burton so that might be part of it.

I think Depp had a good run though from 97-01:
Donnie Brasco
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Ninth Gate
Sleepy Hollow
Blow

That's a pretty good run and I think what made him something of a cult favorite. Then Pirates came out and the original was shockingly entertaining at the time, making him a huge star. He's made a few questionable choices since then (every Pirates sequel, Tourist, the Burton obsession, Once Upon a Time in Mexico), but I am looking forward to the Run Diary.

No one's mentioned Kurosawa's Ran -- my favourite of his.

A few others:

Brazil
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Excalibur
The 30-minute Richard Williams version of A Christmas Carol
The Battle of Britain (for the aerial sequences -- real planes!)
The Ladykillers (original Ealing/Guinness version)
Doctor Zhivago
Lawrence of Arabia
For a Few Dollars More (those watch-chimes!)
The Name of the Rose
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

A landmark movie. Filmed in the 1960s when it was still possible to gather together some "tired iron" aircraft. Adolph Galland was one of the advisors for the film and actually took one of the BF-109s for a spin, 26 years after having last flown one. Scared the tweet out of the observers on the ground. The whole thing is chronicled in:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0330023578/?tag=brite-21

Well worth the read.

My favourite Moives are here: 1.Titanic. 2.The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. 3.Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. 4.I Am Legend. 5.The Notebook.

I like to watch movies. Last movie that i saw was Kung Fu Panda. Its an animated movie and story of a Panda. He was elected as dragon warrior. He has to face many problems but he over comes that and in the last everybody accepts him as his Dragon warrior.

So many good movies have been listed! Off the top of my head, the films I just have to watch if they're on are:

The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Grease, When Harry Met Sally, All of Me, Pretty Woman, American Pie (all 3, I'm a sucker for Stifler), Stars Wars I, II, III, IV, V & VI, LotR Trilogy, Harry Potter 1-7, The Usual Suspects, Goodfellas, Sex & the City (1 and 2, yes yes... love a chick flick), He's Just Not That Into You, Stepmom, Shawshank Redemption, Practical Magic, The Craft, Big Daddy, Happy Gilmore, The Little Mermaid, Cars, Jungle Book (all 3 Disney), Home Alone 1 & 2, Footloose, Fame (second time round), 10 Things I Hate About You, any and all of the Batman movies including the early early ones, The Sword & the Stone (Disney again), The Matrix, Bill & Ted 1, Demolition Man, Willy Wonka, See No Evil, Hear No Evil, American Beauty, Napoleon Dynamite...

There are more but I can't think of them right now :D

If I was rich, HMV would never go out of business ;)

xx

No one's mentioned Kurosawa's Ran -- my favourite of his.

A few others:

Brazil
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Excalibur
The 30-minute Richard Williams version of A Christmas Carol
The Ladykillers (original Ealing/Guinness version)
Doctor Zhivago
Lawrence of Arabia
For a Few Dollars More (those watch-chimes!)
The Name of the Rose
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I like Ran but its not Kurosawa at his best, he is usually less sentimental at his best. Ran is too much Shakespeare.

I listed too many films in my last fav movies post in this thread. Im gonna stop being a coward and list my all-time favorit, best films i have seen so far in my life.

1. Seven Samurai (1954)

2. Le samouraï ( 1967) - French film noir and no samurai film...

3. The Maltese Falcon (1941)

4. Red Beard (1965)

5. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly (1966)

6. The Godfather (1972)

7. Memories of Murder (2003)

8. Aliens (1986)

9. Raging Bull(1980)

10.Drunken Master II (1994)

My ideal films are great director films of play like heavy dramas,noir roles that give actors chance to shine and action films like Aliens, Drunken Master and spaghetti western.

Far too many movies for me to list, so I present a micro list of some of my favorite films.

The Message (1977) - Anthony Quinn, Irene Papas & Michael Ansara

The Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Orlando Bloom, Liam Neeson, Jeremy Irons & Edward Norton

The 13th Warrior (1999) - Antonio Banderas, Diane Venora, Dennis Storhoi, Vladimir Kulich & Omar Sharif

The Man Who Would Be King (1975) - Sean Connery, Michael Caine & Christopher Plummer

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) - Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr, Glen Strange & Vincent Price (bit part)

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (1966) - Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach & Lee Van Cleef

Time After Time (1979) - Malcolm McDowell, David Warner & Mary Steenburgen

Hidalgo (2004) - Viggo Mortensen, Omar Sharif & J.K. Simmons

Sorcerer (1977) - Roy Scheider, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal, Amidou, Ramon Bieri and Peter Capell

Ed Wood (1994) - Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Sarah Jesica Parker, Jeffrey Jones, Bill Murray & George "the Animal" Steele

Boondock Saints (1999) - Willem Dafoe, Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, David Della Rocco & Billy Connolly

Darkman (1990) - Liam Neeson & Larry Drake

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) - Steve Martin & John Candy

Head (1968) - The Monkees

Shanghai Knights (2003) - Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson & Donny Yen

Head (1968) - The Monkees

Wow! Love this film. Not seen it for ages. Unfortunately I only have it on VHS and have no video player. Some good music in it (Do we have to do this all over again? and others.)

Wow! Love this film (HEAD). Not seen it for ages. Unfortunately I only have it on VHS and have no video player. Some good music in it (Do we have to do this all over again? and others.)

I have a VHS of it too, I'm hoping a special edition DVD is released with lots of behind the scenes goodies. :D

I highly recommend the soundtrack to the film!

I'm a fan of the Monkees on Facebook so see all their news when it gets posted up, and I swear they posted something recently about a Head DVD. I'll have to put it on my Christmas list I think! :D

I'm a fan of the Monkees on Facebook so see all their news when it gets posted up, and I swear they posted something recently about a Head DVD. I'll have to put it on my Christmas list I think! :D

I love the MONKEES too, I have all their tunes on CD.

I don't have Facebook, but I do watch the music videos from their show on Youtube, plus I recently began recieving the 1960's Monkees TV shows on DVD from Netflix.

HEAD is availible on DVD, but with no extras.

"Hey, Hey, We're the Monkees" is an awesome documentary about the group, if you haven't seen it, check it out. :)

I just logged into Facebook, and the news was about Head on Vinyl (Circle Sky/Can you Dig it?) so not about a DVD. Might have to just go for the normal old DVD then.

I will look for that documentary, ta!

I have so many movies that I love, but here's a few that I would die if I didn't have some sort of access to:

1. Aladdin (yes it's Disney--don't judge)
2. Stardust
3. Sahara
4. The Quiet Man
5. The Pebble and The Penguin
6. Pride and Predjudice
7. The Count of Monte Cristo
8. Titanic
9. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
10. The Princess Bride

I could go on, but we'd be here for days ;D

Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
King Arthur
The Dark Crystal
The Beastmaster
Auntie Mame
Alice In Wonderland
Indiana Jones (trilogy)- hated the 4th one

I have lots of other favourites but it would be a long list.

Downfall.

It reminds us that for every heroine like Sophie Scholl or fiend in human form like Ilse Koch, there were a thousand like Traudl Junge.

Employed by Hitler at 22, married and widowed at 23, bridesmaid to Eva Braun and typed up Hitler's will, she saw one of the most evil men who ever lived as an employer who always behaved like the perfect gentleman and was often a father-figure.

By humanising Hitler, it highlights the evil present in all of us, and should be compulsory viewing to show future generations, 'Never Again.'

Back