Favourite city/castle/town/region in the books

Welcome to the George Martin forum, WoO. The name Newford sounds like a locale in the Seven Kingdoms.

Oldtown would be nice to live in, university city like the one of my youth ^^

Close to the seaside too, the houseprices must be steep there, but in my imagination I am very rich of course.:rolleyes:

Re: Favourite City in the books

Boy howdy, I really have to put more thought into thread-starting, rather than just doing it impulsively.

I guess I should have said 'Which city/fortress/town would you like to live in?'

I did think though that everyone would agree with me re: Braavos. It's just so cool!
I'm totally with you, Braavos is my kinda town, followed closely by Old Town. I would pick any of the Free Cities, though.

Favorite castle is a harder one to choose. I think I would choose the Winterfell of AGOT because of the people, but probably the Vale (Post Lysa) for its seclusion and mountains which (in my mind) are absolutely breathtaking.

I liked Qarth, it was really mysterious - the crying people, the way they dressed, the various groups like the undying etc.

The Wall or Winterfell. My favourite characters are usually involved and when Bolton takes over Winterfell I love all the sabotage and it's great seeing Theon reduced to Reek.

Re: Favourite City in the books

I'm totally with you, Braavos is my kinda town, followed closely by Old Town. I would pick any of the Free Cities, though.

Favorite castle is a harder one to choose. I think I would choose the Winterfell of AGOT because of the people, but probably the Vale (Post Lysa) for its seclusion and mountains which (in my mind) are absolutely breathtaking.

The Vale as depicted in the series matched my image perfectly. (Though the Eyrie itself did not, but was still beautiful).

For some odd reason, I'd love to take a trip to the Eyrie. It seems like a remarkable structure from the way Martin has described it in his writings. Also, to see the Tears of Lys and the Moon Door. This is one of the more fantasy-feel cities in the book and has a likeness to the lot of regions of Middle Earth. It's just a gasp of a place. I'd gotten the chills after reading the introduction of the Eyrie.

Bear Island is another place I'd like to visit. (No not because I'm crazy about Ser Jorah or anything) but more because the region reminds me of the North American coasts; a bit like the images in Pocahauntas, hah.

And then there's Winterfell. I love Winterfell. Forget King's Landing, I'm not built for the heat...