Historical fiction with romance!

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
Hi Guys:

It's my wedding anniversary and I'd like to find some really good historical / romantic fiction for my wife. She likes a good story, not overly weighed down with historical fact, and most of all she loves good characters.

Other stuff she likes includes Elizabeth Chadwick and Sara Donatti.

Thanks very much for the help.

Coragem.

Well, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is both Historical Fiction and Romantic. I've read the first two, and enjoyed them. The first book is called Outlander.

I would also recommend any of the Tudor books by Philippa Gregory, if she hasn't already picked those up. I personally liked The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance, The Queen's Fool, and The Constant Princess.

And another of my favorites which is a classic is Gone with the Wind.

Hope that helps some!

ugh. Romance. Sorry, can't help with that. Even my wife hates romance movies and novels (lucky man, am I).

The Pillars of Creation, by Follett, has quite a love story in it though (with some very, very steamy scenes). Big book, not a lot of facts (very plot and character driven), and a real page turner. I have its sequel on my TBR pile, but haven't heard good things about it. Recently put into film.

Well, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is both Historical Fiction and Romantic. I've read the first two, and enjoyed them. The first book is called Outlander.

I would also recommend any of the Tudor books by Philippa Gregory, if she hasn't already picked those up. I personally liked The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance, The Queen's Fool, and The Constant Princess.

And another of my favorites which is a classic is Gone with the Wind.

Hope that helps some!

I'd like to add that in the UK Outlander is called Cross Stitch. You might try Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles beginning with The Game of Kings or her Niccolo books beginning with Niccolo Rising.

I know it's probably a little late by now but, if she likes the historical romance (and has an interest in Japan), I would suggest Lesley Downer.

The first book of hers I read was The Last Concubine I was thoroughly engrossed in the book from start to finish.

The characters are believeable and relateable (even though it's Eastern history) and the romance within the story is quite compelling. Despite women being an 'inferior race' they are strong fighters and, in the context of this book, faced with more than enough to test their limits of strength and honour! There are no 'sexy scenes' but I think in a romance book this isn't truly a requisite, in fact, I find it often takes away from the story!

Anywho... what did you buy for her in the end? And, did she enjoy it?

Okay, I'll weigh in with a suggestion, but with disclaimers.

Guy Gavriel Kay writes alternate history - fiction that tries to capture the essence of a time without being bogged down by the specifics of it. His novels can take place anywhere from Tang Dynasty China (Under Heaven) to shortly after the Roman Empire collapse (Sarantine Mosaic duology) to the end of the Viking era, around 900 AD. They're descriptive, imaginative, and have absolutely wonderful characters.

However, they aren't romance. Many have romance in them, but they aren't traditional romance. The closest would be A Song for Arbonne, but these aren't romance genre novels. If you don't mind the romance being secondary, often bitersweet, or ultimately unfulfilled, then they certainly fit every other criteria listed.

Regardless, take a look at, in order from most romantic to least, A Song for Arbonne, Sailing to Sarantium/Lord of Emperors, and Ysabel. Under Heaven and Tigana were fantastic novels as well, but I can't remember how much of a romantic element they had, if any.

Historical romance...it's a bit YA, but the Luxe series is good, I thought. Can't remember the author.

Back