75 WORD CHALLENGE -- May 2011 -- CHRISPENYCATE WINS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
RULES:​

Write a story inspired by the chosen theme in no more than 75 words

One entry per person​

All stories Copyright 2011 by their respective authors, who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here.​

The complete rules can be found at Rules for the Writing Challenges

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, May 23 2011
Voting Ends at 11:59 pm GMT, May 28 2011

You do not have to submit a story in order to vote -- in fact, we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing a winner

The Magnificent Prize:​

The Dignified Congratulations/Groveling Admiration of Your Peers
and the privilege of choosing next month's theme or genre​

This month's genre is:​

Urban Fantasy

and the theme is:​

Friendship

Good luck! (And keep it urbane... er... urban.)​

re: May 2011 SEVENTY-FIVE WORD CHALLENGE -- CHRISPENYCATE WINS!

Mutualism

Scribs were nightmarish creatures, Oren admitted. Though Madras was an open and receptive society, he felt deeply embarrassed by the relationship, and buried the secret from public view by wearing a long, airy robe. It was their communal intelligence that fascinated him, so much so that over the years he became insanely envious and befriended them – nurturing them with his own flesh and blood in the hope of opening his mind, and, finally, feeling theirs.

The Rebels

Their friendship was forbidden: werewolf cat and vampire dog. Every night, behind McDonald’s, they remade their solemn pledge.

A zombie ferret betrayed them. Fleeing in a shopping trolley, they were cornered near the canal.

‘Lycat and Vampoodle can never mix,’ intoned the clan elders.

‘But this pursuit has united you!’ implored Cat.

A tear wet one elder’s cheek — just as Dog produced his bazooka and wasted the gathered oppressors, as planned.

The city was theirs.

ROSE

Rose left the farm for city life. " The city is a cold place, you'll have no friends", they told her.
She bought a tiny house and eventually found friends in the city. When she wasn't seen in weeks the police entered her house. Friends scattered in all directions.
They found Rose on the floor, her bones picked clean.
In her rib cage a litter of new-born kittens.
Friends don't get any closer than that!

Peace in Jerusalem

“Jerusalem is overwhelmed by hate and Zionism;” whispered Michael, Israel’s three meter angel warrior. “With God’s help we shall renew Jerusalem. We shall change hearts.”

Mine changed first through Michael’s friendship. Abandoned by my family, I rely on his support. The Tanakh declares that “there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Michael is such a friend. Together we change the world, one person at a time.

Shalom will come at last.

One Rather Wet Evening.

He ran through the deserted streets, torrential rain keeping people indoors.

You could hear the echo of his feet striking the pavement as he ran, breath coming in short sharp gasps. He clutched a package tightly to his chest.

On he went leaving the city lights behind, towards the mists.

From the mists a wraith appeared and grabbed the package.

" Thank you, my friend you know I love my weekly rations of fish and chips"

Dear Diary....

Jacob has asked me stay over at his house tonight. Our families have got on famously ever since my father, who supervises the work detail that Jacob's dad works on, once saved him from a beating. As his eldest son, I hope one day to follow in his footsteps.

Curiously, Jacob was very insistent that it was tonight I stayed; and I do wonder about those strange markings his parents have daubed on their doorposts.

A Human weakness

Alone at the bar, I lift my head, sensing your arrival.

The distractions, of thumping music and deliciously pulsating bodies, diminish. Other instincts guide us.

Our eyes meet, you approach, cautious, hopeful.

The scent of your lineage is new, but I recognise your need, the desire driving your solitary search. Indeed, not for decades have I seen another of our kind.

Awkwardly, you smile.

Fool.
With a single fluid movement, I tear out your throat.

Last edited:

Frank - Anne - Stein

“I love Anne,” said Jon Stein as he casually kicked a stray kitten wandering the alley. “I know I have a tendency to stray, but I do love her. Besides,” he smirked, “they never seem to know, do they?”

Frank smiled, remembering the night six months ago when Jon was away. And again three months later.

And last week.

“They never do,” he agreed, and clapped Jon on the back. “You’re perfect for each other.”

The Best of Friends.

The two of them were close, always. Inseparable in truth. Where one went the other followed, his dark feet so close on the heels of his friend that they seemed to become one.

Then one day the sun turned cold, its light departed the world, and the people feared the darkness. Yet he knew no fear as his friend enveloped him completely.

For who but a fool should fear his shadow.

The Temple of Metropolys

Metropolys had existed for centuries, ruled by the Council of Systers. Under its omnipotent influence Metro-males had to undergo trials by fire and water within Temple before they could marry and learn the arcane truth.

Fortified by Alys’ love, I entered Temple and successfully walked on fire and repelled water. But my mysterious apotheosis brought a hollow victory; to my chagrin I discovered that as a spiritual being I could never consummate my marriage.

I'll Tell A Tale of Mr Fox.....

The oldest stories say he was caught, killed and eaten by birds, but he is still out there somewhere. These days he haunts the singles bars and the young women do not notice the predatory twinkle in his eye or the sharp gleam of his teeth until it is too late. They are never seen again.

So, ladies, if you see a sharp-featured man with reddish hair alone at a corner table, leave him be.

Last edited:

Elf discovery

Subway eats token, blends me into homogenous stream of humans. Cold-iron turnstyle merely tingles, busked insensitive.

Press of bodies, press of souls. Depression, agression, negativity. Through dull, aching throb, agony. Who? I ooze platform-edgeward, see girl, poised towards rails, awaiting wheeled oblivion.

“Stop!” Snatch sleeve. “For daughter within.”

“What? Who? How” Thousand eyes ignore. Train arrives, disgorges, reengorges, leaves, crowds exit.

Sleeve still gripped. Five hundred isolated years vaporise.

“A friend”

Old Enemies, New Friends

So much had changed. Buildings sprouted where trees once flourished, animals scattered or gone. The Elves found it harder to conceal themselves, forming new clothes from surroundings was difficult, blending skin tones was harder still.

Their magic waned as they were starving. Lacking resource and life, love and friendship, they sent an acolyte in search of help and hope.

They waited, worried.

Their help came unexpectedly from ancient foes. The Dwarves are good with stone.

Ursa meets the Major...

Ursa was a city girl; she knew all the joints in a town that never sleeps.

Our eyes met over a bourbon, ‘Hello,’ she’d said softly.

We chatted.

I wanted her.

She made all the moves and I followed.

The night was memorable, spectacular, fantastically tentacular.

Lying drained, I watched her dress.

‘You’re beautiful.’ I said whimsically.

She smiled, ‘I know, that’ll be fifty dollars,’ she said coyly. ‘Same time next week?’

‘Why not baby…’

Can We Trust Them Or Not?

“Jack, this is the only chance we have. That war against the elves was not out fault.”
“Then why is it these are the first survivors we've come across?” Jack stared out with binoculars to where the yacht was approaching shore.
“Let me see those things, Jack.” She peered through them. “We need to board as soon as they dock.”
“Why?”
“Because, Jack, that is the Friend Ship.”

Blob's Your Uncle

'You can be anything.' Parent told me. I wanted to be popular.

I came to school as a fairy, ‘Too butch.’ they whispered.
As an Ogre; ‘Too pretty.’ They grunted.
A Dwarf; ‘Too tall.’
An Elf; ‘Too short.’
A Goblin; ‘Too good.’
An Angel; ‘Too naughty.’
When I drifted in as a ghost ‘Too alive!’ they moaned.

So I came as myself; a non-descript amorphous blob.
Suddenly I’m popular.
Parent was right, ‘be yourself.’

What Rat Friends Do

Two rats in the sewer, Philip and Paul,
plot every night to bring my downfall.
(I’m aware how crazy that sounds.)
But know it’s true, down there with the poo,
the rats called Philip and Paul,
skulk and crawl
and plot and scheme…
(It’s not a freaking dream!)
It’s real. I hear them in my wall,
the rat, Philip, and his friend, Paul.
They don’t squeak, they speak
and say, “We’ll get you…
one day.”

Revenge for a Friend.

Jasmine looked through the window, watching closely at the killers computer screen.

Her friend suffered the humiliation of having her dead fingers nibbled on while her prince walked away without even a kiss.

She watched as the killer logged on to Chronicles, about to post a new twisted story. Jasmine’s anger grew, she was worthy of revenge and she deserved a happy ending.

She lifted the RPG on her shoulder and aimed at the Mouse.

Last edited:

A Question of Taste

Hermione detested the taste of blood. A loner, she dared not reveal her preference for the flavour of women. Once, she'd adored the flesh of men. That had sucked her into this mess. Drained and dumped, he'd left her with this unquenchable thirst.

A tender victim approached along the secluded path. She wouldn't resist Hermione's tears. A wolf nuzzled her thigh. Alike in their disgust, they resolved to hunt together and share this vile repose.

Status
Not open for further replies.