Book Covers For Your Ebook

I did my own using Microsoft Expression Design. I'm no artist, so they are okay, but I don't have the cash to pay for a designer.

(I can't post images though - not enough posts on this board yet)

This is the new cover for The Last Seal. This uses artwork by Andreas Resh used in my Great Fire of London Board Game and then set out by Cathy of Avalon Graphics
TLS-cover-lg.jpg

The Last Seal BTW is historical Fantasy set during the Great Fire of London

Hi,

Downloaded Photoscape and its really good. With it and a couple of other programmes I've just finished the book cover for my next book - Of Dark Elves and Dragons, which should be out in a month or so. Am really pleased with it. Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Attachments

• DarkElvesCover4.jpg
    DarkElvesCover4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 199
What exactly can an Ebook cover incorporate? Is is limited to a fixed JPEG file, equivalent to the dead tree version (convenient for Amazon and the like, who're set up for the older standards) or can it include limited animation, colour changes, morphing…?

And where is it used? there is no packaging with Ebooks, so presumably cybershops are all on line, displays for downloads all electronic, potentially multi-layer, possibility of sound, movement (if you keep data at a reasonable level.

If there were going to be blisterpacks in conventional bookstores (still a discussed option at the Worldcon in 2005) this would have involved huge duplication of effort; but since it seems likely that the publishing industry has divested itself of the traditional shop (and the occasional knowledgeable, or at least enthusiastic, assistant), and the world is supercharged with people who've learnt all about making their own websites, I foresee the all singing, all dancing pop-up viral cover with vitamin supplements in the not too distant future.

Another argument for EMP.

Hi Chris,

The short answer is I don't know. I hadn't even thought along those lines. I was just happyto create a cover I thought was cool. But yes, and it scares me as it means I may have to start learning new software relating to animations etc, an ebook cover will likely go well beyond just a jpeg file in a few years. Of course it won't be quick, as its more then just bandwidth that the change will require. Ebook readers like the kindle, as far as I know, can't display such things. The I pad can though.

Cheers.

I'll be near the stage where I need to start thinking about that in a while, so I'm wondering if there's any sort of range I should offer an artist say on Deviant for a cover?

I figure it would vary according to the artist of course, but is there a decent standard for a relative newbie artist? I don't want to spend a lot on it if I can, but I'm willing to be reasonable, as long as I know what that is.

Bear in mind most eReaders are not colour and typically do not display even grey shades particularly well. In answer to Chris' question; with most eReaders you will see a thumbnail sized picture of the front cover whilst browsing books on your reader and when you first open the book or go to the first page, you will see it using the whole screen. However, as I say, most dedicated eReaders (using eInk screens) really don't seem to do a very good job of rendering a colour image in monochrome. Of course many people read eBooks on Ipads and the like, which will give a good rendition of the cover in full colour.

I'm in the (very gradual) process of reprinting my backlist. I chose to begin with Goblin Moon first. It will probably be coming out in paperback sometime in September. I'm still sorting out some things before it can be an ebook, but with luck the Kindle version could come out at the same time.

Anyway, here is the cover. It's two photographs and a lot of photoshopping. The original idea was mine. My husband was the photographer, a very dashing and swashbuckling friend posed for the picture, and another friend did the photoshopping, with me looking over her shoulder part of the time.

Still another friend was there giving input on the typeface and where to put the writing.

So it was a group effort.

Attachments

• cover-front-cleanJuly-2.jpg
    cover-front-cleanJuly-2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 184
Some nice covers there! I do all my own cover work as well. I do them for the paperbacks in a high quality, adn then an ebook one is easy. crop the front, shrink it down, done! Obviously the samples here are jpg'd. shrunk, and so forth so dont look close to the quality of the originals....

Attachments

• StarlightFinalCoverCROPPEDFCOnlytiny2.jpg
    StarlightFinalCoverCROPPEDFCOnlytiny2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 208
  • coverwithtitle4TINY.jpg
    coverwithtitle4TINY.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 195
My eBook covers are the same as the print covers. I made the covers in Photoshop, either "painting" with explosions of color or manipulating a photograph using PS filters.
It's true that the covers don't display in color on the Kindle, but they do on the iPhone and iPad.

I haven't published Skin Deep yet. The cover needs more work (bigger font, and other changes, and the face may look too creepy).

Attachments

• liminaleyes-cover-withborder-150-opt.jpg
    liminaleyes-cover-withborder-150-opt.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 192
  • bp-cover-150.jpg
    bp-cover-150.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 206
  • skindeep-cover-front-150-opt.jpg
    skindeep-cover-front-150-opt.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 223
Let me recommend a couple of sites to you. For images try morgueFile free photos for creatives by creatives which provides free images for any use except as sale as stand alone items. Meaning you can use them for commercial purposes, and as derivative work (you can edit it, which you'll have to do to make it fit your eBook's dimensions) and the images are plenty big, so they'll have to be cropped. You can search the site for specific images, and if you enter "abstract" in the search box can find plenty of dazzling photos ideal for about any kind of book. You need not even attribute it, but I would as common courtesy, and the photographers love to know how their photos are used, so drop them a line letting them know and thanking them.

For titles, I like both Cool Text: Logo and Graphics Generator and BannerFans - Free Banner MakerBannerFans - Free Banner Maker which do require attribution, so be sure and include it. Banner Fans allows you to upload an image, such as your cover, and place text, which can be moved around on the image for placement. With Cool Text, you'll need an image editing program to add the title and your name onto the cover image, but there's a wider variety of fonts available.

The number one mistake most make in placing titles on covers is they're too small to see by the time the cover image is thumbnailed or reduced for web display, so experiment by making a copy of your cover image and resizing it down to see what it will look like when reduced.

Ah, thank you, you just answered a question that hadn't occurred to me before.