Alan Turing.

Enigma machine, as a name, sounds slightly intriguing but, in the end, rather dull. Surely a few more of them might have been distributed if they'd have been rebranded.

Who, for instance, could possibly resist using an Enigmatic...?

Interesting article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18561092

Alan Turing, the British mathematical genius and codebreaker born 100 years ago on 23 June, may not have committed suicide, as is widely believed.

Turing expert Prof Jack Copeland has questioned the evidence that was presented at the 1954 inquest.

He believes the evidence would not today be accepted as sufficient to establish a suicide verdict.

Indeed, he argues, Turing's death may equally probably have been an accident.

My grandad was involved with the radio side of things at Bletchley Park. That's a bit vague because it was only after he was dead that I found out, so I never got to ask him just what he did. He was into electronics, so perhaps he worked on that side, or perhaps he just listened in to radio transmissions as an operator, no idea.

Allegedly he had his passport taken away and was not allowed to travel abroad after working there. Don't know if that is true or not, though!

A great mind ,it's too bad he did get to participate in the computer revolution that took place after his time. Imagine what he might have come up with.

Last edited: