What if Alan Turing Not died In 1954 ?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
In addition to his codebreaking and machines he developed for that purpose during the War which help require victory for the allies . He is one the fathers of the modern computers, a genius way ahead of his time . What if he had lived to see and be part of the development modern age of computers ? What impact might he have had , had he lived one?

hitmouse

He might have lived to see the liberalisation of the UK laws on homosexuality in the late 1960s, and the gradual public and media acceptance of personal sexuality over the following 40 years, and the development of an altogether more tolerant society. He might have been able to become happy and free.

Assuming the above he would still probably have been unemployable for 20-30 years. Optimistically he might eventually have been rehabilitated and got a quiet personal chair in Oxbridge and carried on with theoretical work. Whether he would have continued with applied computing is an interesting question.

Last edited:

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
He might have lived to see the liberalisation of the UK laws on homosexuality in the late 1960s, and the gradual public and media acceptance of personal sexuality over the following 40 years, and the development of an altogether more tolerant society. He might have been able to become happy and free.

Assuming the above he would still probably have been unemployable for 20-30 years. Optimistically he might eventually have been rehabilitated and got a quiet personal chair in Oxbridge and carried on with theoretical work. Whether he would have continued with applied computing is an interesting question.

I thnk that he been able to continue with computing , he would have put further ahead than we are now.

farntfar

And other things but mainly marriages.
The problem with all questions of this type is that it could have changed everything.

Say he had created atype of computer and a sort of DOS before IBM, and therefore before Gates and Microsoft bought it and developped it. Which could mean they never developped Windows, or any of the rest.
Maybe we would be further ahead. Maybe we would have got stuck down a blind alley with some other architecture for operating systems. Who can tell?

With no IBM, I might never have met la Farovna or joined the Chrons. So I can't say I'm upset that it all went the way it did, even if I do regret the appalling way he was treated.