Spin-off type thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse

When I finish the novel I'm working on at the mo, I'm planning to pick up 'Seven Dragons' again, something which I was working on a while ago now and which I posted bits and pieces for critique here back in the day.

Anyway, whenever I get bored of what I'm working on now (which is quite a lot) I turn to short stories. This one is unfinished, because I got bored and started a different one, which I'm now bored of... and is a sort of prequel or spin-off off Seven Dragons.

I kinda know where I want to go with it, but thought I'd get some comments on what I've written so far to see if it's any good or not!

So um... I'll stop waffling now.

----

I was on my lunch break, sitting with my back against one of the hay bales, when the girl fell out of the sky. I jumped out of my skin, dropped my sandwich and everything.

She cursed, got to her feet and brushed herself down before checking the pockets of her scruffy green hoodie. I stared, open mouthed, my sandwich forgotten among pieces of hay.

She hadn’t noticed me and I didn’t draw attention to myself. I mean, she’d just dropped out of the sky. That wasn’t normal. That usually meant aliens. She didn’t look much like an alien, although she did have black hair with red stripes in it… Which was unusual. Unusual for these parts anyway. She looked like a scruffy rock chick type, definitely a city girl, though I’d recently noticed a girl from one of the towns nearby had dyed her hair black and blonde. God knows why; she looked like a skunk.

The girl had taken a little plastic pouch from her pocket and was using her little finger to rub the contents over her gums. I had no idea what that was all about.

She sank to her knees on the grass. I took the opportunity to put the lid back onto my lunch box and get to my feet. I didn’t really think she was an alien, so I figured I was dreaming. That, or she was a paraglider with no parachute.

“You should be careful, you know,” I said. “There’s lots of power lines around here.”

She looked at me then. Her expression was glazed and her eyes bloodshot. She raised a hand to her face, pushed her hair back from her eyes. “What?” she asked.

“Power lines,” I repeated. I hugged my lunchbox. “Are you all right?”

She sat back on her heels and looked around, frowning at the hay bales. I noticed a tractor go by on the other side of the hedge at the end of the field and figured I should probably scarper before the farmer came and yelled at me for being on his land. That sounds like a cliché, but farmers did that.

I cleared my throat. “I have to go back to work,” I said. “Or, you know, wake up.”

The girl got to her feet. “Great,” she said. She looked up at the sky and I couldn’t help but follow her gaze to see what was up there. Couldn’t see a damn thing though and I felt like an idiot.

I turned to walk away, to forget about the whole thing but then… then I stopped. Why the hell should I pretend nothing strange had happened? Nothing exciting ever happened to me or to the village for that matter. I mean, the biggest story in the local news recently was about a cow falling off a bridge.

I looked to see where the tractor had gotten to and, as it was heading away, I said to the girl, “You just fell out of the sky.”

She pulled a face. “No, I jumped out of the door. I admit, the landing wasn’t good but I didn’t fall.” She scratched her head and looked around, then, spying the gate in the distance, started towards it.

I followed after her. “There isn’t a door,” I said. “Hey! There’s no door. It’s just a field. With hay and stuff. Well, there isn’t any stuff. Just hay and grass. And my sandwich, I dropped my sandwich.”

She climbed the stile and jumped down into the lane. She looked left and then right, then seemed to pick a direction at random. I clambered over the stile and joined her in the lane.

“If you’re trying to get to Doniton you need to go the other way,” I said helpfully. “That way just goes back to the farm, and the kennels. I work at the kennels. Did I mention there was no door?”

“Once or twice,” she muttered. “Do you always talk this much?”

“No,” I said. “Well, yes. It’s probably a nervous thing.”

The girl started walking towards Doniton. I hesitated, knowing I should go back to work but a girl had fallen out of the sky and I was pretty confident by now that I wasn’t dreaming.

“So, the door…”

“You can’t see it,” she said. “Only I can see it.”

“Ah,” I said. So, she was a crazy person. She was probably on drugs. People on drugs usually see all sorts of stuff. Or so I’d heard. I mean, I’d not done drugs myself so… It dawned on me then what the packet was. I hurried to catch up with the girl who was striding ahead of me.

“You’re on drugs!”

I think I was expecting her to deny it, but she didn’t. She just gave me a look as if I was stupid or something. I’m not stupid, I’m just not used to drugs. Illegal drugs. I’d taken antibiotics before for my wisdom tooth.

“Don’t judge me, all right?” she asked. “I defy anybody to be able to do what I can do and not turn to drugs.”

Ahead, one of the farm hands was just ushering the last of the cows into their new field. He raised a hand in greeting when he saw me, did a double take at my companion, then closed the gate on his cows, watching us as we passed by.

“What is it you do exactly?” I asked. “I mean apart from fall out of the sky.”

She smiled and waved her hands at me, causing me to pull back. “I open doors to other dimensions,” she said.

“Course,” I said. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it, really. Opening doors to other dimensions. I rolled my eyes and wondered how much the drugs had addled her brain.

We were walking down into the village now, passing scruffy looking cottages on the left and one of Doniton’s two churches on the right. A ginger cat was stalking towards us, its tail held high and twitching. I didn’t like cats so I ignored it and it stopped and sat down to wash its paws anyway, probably pretending it wasn’t interested when I know it had been until I’d snubbed it.

The road split and divided into offshoots leading to more houses on the right, and carried on to the main road on the left, passing the playing field, the second church and a pub called The Fat Rabbit.

The girl headed right, making her way to the red phone box on the green which I knew didn’t work.

“This other dimension thing,” I said, “is that where you’re from? Another dimension?”

Again, she gave me that look for idiots. “I’m from Kent.”

“That doesn’t work,” I said, when she opened the phone box door. “So, when you fell out of the sky, you came from another dimension then? The uh… invisible door you came out of…”

“I came from the Fourth.” She closed the door and looked me over. “You got a phone on you?”

I shook my head. “Just my lunch box. The fourth what?”

Ya, I want to know about the Fourth What. Good job, and excellent opening.

Nit-picky, were you going for a prescription painkiller when you say antibiotics? I'm fortunate enough not to have wisdom teeth (stupid runs in my family :confused::D) so I don't know if they give you antibiotics, but they would give you a painkiller such as Vicodin.

The wisdom tooth thing comes from personal experience, so I know they give antibiotics. For myself, they gave me two different types cos I'm just that manky. :D

hah. nice interplay there. i started off thinking of Laputa, except i don't think Miyazaki had speed or coke in mind.... of course, Laputa had giant stone robots tending a massive garden in the sky, so i could be wrong. :D but, nice.

A nice little piece, well written, creates interest. I have a few little nitpicks. I'll dot my thoughts throughout. I haven't decided in which colour yet, though, so it'll be a surprise for the both of us...

I was on my lunch break, sitting with my back against one of the hay bales, when the girl fell out of the sky. I jumped out of my skin, dropped my sandwich and everything. (Turns out it was green. So I'm not entirely sold on this last sentence. I don't think the comma is enough, but I don't think a semi-colon is warranted. Maybe a full-stop? There's just something off about it...)

She cursed, (I'm thinking Stardust at this point.) got to her feet and brushed herself down before checking the pockets of her scruffy green hoodie (Stopped thinking Stardust at this point.). I stared, open mouthed, my sandwich forgotten among pieces of hay.

She hadn’t noticed me and I didn’t draw attention to myself. I mean, she’d just dropped out of the sky. That wasn’t normal. That usually meant aliens (Really? Does it?). She didn’t look much like an alien, although she did have black hair with red stripes in it… (Ellipsis. I'll get back to this point.)Which was unusual. Unusual for these parts anyway. She looked like a scruffy rock chick type (Awkward phrasing, can't get my mind or tongue around it.), definitely a city girl, though I’d recently noticed a girl from one of the towns nearby had dyed her hair black and blonde. God knows why; she looked like a skunk.

The girl had taken a little plastic pouch from her pocket and was using her little (Repetition of 'little'.) finger to rub the contents over her gums. I had no idea what that was all about.

She sank to her knees on the grass. I took the opportunity to put the lid back onto my lunch box and get to my feet. I didn’t really think she was an alien, so I figured I was dreaming. That, or she was a paraglider with no parachute.

“You should be careful, you know,” I said. “There’s lots of power lines around here.”

She looked at me then. Her expression was glazed and her eyes bloodshot. She raised a hand to her face, pushed her hair back from her eyes. “What?” she asked.

“Power lines,” I repeated. I hugged my lunchbox. “Are you all right?”

She sat back on her heels and looked around, frowning at the hay bales. I noticed a tractor go by on the other side of the hedge at the end of the field and figured I should probably scarper before the farmer came and yelled at me for being on his land (This sentence is long and has a lot going on. Could be streamlined.). That sounds like a cliché, but farmers did that (All farmers everywhere? Or just local farmers?).

I cleared my throat. “I have to go back to work,” I said. “Or, you know, wake up.”

The girl got to her feet. “Great,” she said. She looked up at the sky and I couldn’t help but follow her gaze to see what was up there. Couldn’t see a damn thing though and I felt like an idiot (I want to put commas around the 'though' here.).

I turned to walk away, to forget about the whole thing but then… then I stopped (Hmmm, another ellipsis. I know what you are going for with them, but I don't know if they are effective. I use them all the time around the forums, and I love the little buggers, but I think they should be used sparingly in prose.). Why the hell should I pretend nothing strange had happened? Nothing exciting ever happened to me or to the village for that matter (This sentence is crying out for a comma, possibly two, or maybe a fullstop. Nothing exciting ever happened to me. Or the village, for that matter.). I mean, the biggest story in the local news recently was about a cow falling off a bridge.

I looked to see where the tractor had gotten to and, as it was heading away, I said to the girl, “You just fell out of the sky.”

She pulled a face. “No, I jumped out of the door (The door, or a door?). I admit, the landing wasn’t good but I didn’t fall (I'd prefer, I'll admit the landing wasn't good, but I didn't fall.).” She scratched her head and looked around, then, spying the gate in the distance, started towards it (I'd probably ditch the first comma in this sentence).

I followed after her. “There isn’t a door,” I said (This kind of threw me - after the talk of the gate I thought he meant there wasn't a door (gate) where she was headed - as if it was a faux-gate for some reason. My mind eventually caught up, though, ad I may just be a dullard.). “Hey! There’s no door. It’s just a field. With hay and stuff. Well, there isn’t any stuff. Just hay and grass. And my sandwich, I dropped my sandwich (I'd make the comma here a full-stop.).”

She climbed the stile and jumped down into the lane. She looked left and then right, then seemed to pick a direction at random. I clambered over the stile and joined her in the lane.

“If you’re trying to get to Doniton you need to go the other way,” I said helpfully. “That way just goes back to the farm, and the kennels. I work at the kennels. Did I mention there was no door?”

“Once or twice,” she muttered. “Do you always talk this much?”

“No,” I said. “Well, yes. It’s probably a nervous thing.”

The girl started walking towards Doniton ('Picking a direction' four pars back leads me to believe she had already started walking that way - so she can't very well start walking the other way. She can stop and turn and start back towards Doniton. This is a minor stage-direction quibble, but one that stood out to me on both read-throughs.). I hesitated, knowing I should go back to work (I want a pause of some kind right here. A comma maybe, but a full-stop preferably.) but a girl had fallen out of the sky and I was pretty confident by now that I wasn’t dreaming.

“So, the door…” (I'd prefer, 'So, this door...', and, incidentally, I approve of this use of an ellipsis.)

“You can’t see it,” she said. “Only I can see it.”

“Ah,” I said. So, she was a crazy person (Ditch the comma.). She was probably on drugs. People on drugs usually see all sorts of stuff (Ditch the 'usually'.). Or so I’d heard. I mean, I’d not done drugs myself so… (Don't approve of this use, and we're at four and counting...) It dawned on me then what the packet was. I hurried to catch up with the girl who was striding ahead of me (Don't like this phrasing. Feel like it needs a comma I don't want to put in. I'd turn the sentence around. The girl was striding ahead of me and I hurried to catch up.).

“You’re on drugs!”

I think I was expecting her to deny it, but she didn’t. She just gave me a look as if I was stupid or something. I’m not stupid, I’m just not used to drugs. Illegal drugs. I’d taken antibiotics before for my wisdom tooth.

“Don’t judge me, all right?” she asked. “I defy anybody to be able to do what I can do and not turn to drugs (I'd ditch the 'can'.).”

Ahead, one of the farm hands was just ushering the last of the cows into their new field. He raised a hand in greeting when he saw me, did a double take at my companion, then closed the gate on his cows, watching us as we passed by.

“What is it you do exactly?” I asked. “I mean (Comma.) apart from fall out of the sky.”

She smiled and waved her hands at me, causing me to pull back. “I open doors to other dimensions,” she said.

“Course,” I said. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it, really. Opening doors to other dimensions. I rolled my eyes and wondered how much ('Badly', maybe?) the drugs had addled her brain.

We were walking down into the village now, passing scruffy looking cottages on the left and one of Doniton’s two churches on the right. A ginger cat was stalking towards us, its tail held high and twitching. I didn’t like cats so I ignored it and it stopped and sat down to wash its paws anyway, probably pretending it wasn’t interested when I know it had been until I’d snubbed it (Another longish, awkward sentence. Rephrase.).

The road split and divided into offshoots leading to more houses on the right, and carried on to the main road on the left, passing the playing field, the second church and a pub called The Fat Rabbit.

The girl headed right, making her way to the red phone box on the green which I knew didn’t work (Slightly awkward, kind of reads as if the green doesn't work, not the phone box.).

“This other dimension thing,” I said, “is that where you’re from? Another dimension?”

Again, she gave me that look for idiots. “I’m from Kent.”

“That doesn’t work,” I said, when she opened the phone box door (I read this first as him saying her being from Kent doesn't work. Flip it. She opened the phone box door. 'That doesn't work,' I said.). “So, when you fell out of the sky, you came from another dimension then? (I'd be tempted to move the 'then' to the start of the sentence: So, then, when you fell out of the sky, you came from another dimension?) The uh… invisible door you came out of…” (Hmmm. More ellipses. Maybe: The, uh, the invisible door you came out of...?)

“I came from the Fourth.” She closed the door and looked me over. “You got a phone on you?”

I shook my head. “Just my lunch box. The fourth what?”

I want the next line to be, 'Not the fourth. The Fourth. With a capital 'F'.'

As I said at the start, these are little itpicks, not huge ones. Some are suggestions and others, I think, are necessary fixes, though those are few and far between. Feel free to challenge or discard any or all suggestions!

Maybe rock-chick could be hyphenated. There's no way to look it up.

by the time you say: I looked to see where the tractor had gotten to
I'd forgotten about it...well actually it's the farmer on the tractor that's the issue so maybe say that instead somehow?

hah. nice interplay there. i started off thinking of Laputa, except i don't think Miyazaki had speed or coke in mind.... of course, Laputa had giant stone robots tending a massive garden in the sky, so i could be wrong. :D but, nice.

Thanks. Didn't think of Laputa. I love Castle in the Sky!

Maybe rock-chick could be hyphenated. There's no way to look it up.

Yeah I wasn't sure on that myself! Ta.

Cul: I agree with pretty much all of that, thanks!! Ellipses... Yes, I like them. :D This one's staying though: I mean, I’d not done drugs myself so… Because it's a definite trailing off of thought there. Sort of a mental shrug. I'll scrap the others though. ;) Ta muchly!

Off to edit...

Last edited:
Yer's a wee bit more then. And I apologise in advance for the mass amount of ellipses. But really, how should I write a phone conversation?

Also, the name is changing because I don't like it. And should it be lunchbox or lunch box?

-----

“Dimension. Obviously.”

“Obviously!” I repeated, laughing a little. “Yeah. No, you’re right. The fourth dimension. That’s so obvious I don’t know why it wasn’t my first thought when you fell out of the sky.”

She frowned at me. I cleared my throat. “So uh, you’ll need a phone then.”

“Please.”

I nodded and passed by the phone box, heading up the road the short distance to my house, which sat right next door to the corner shop. Although, the corner shop was at the end of the road, not the corner. Nobody called it the end shop though.

I’d left my keys at work so I leaned down and picked up the plant pot under which I’d hidden my spare. I was aware of the girl behind me and, as I opened the door, I wondered if it was a good idea to let a crazy junkie into my house.

It was only to use the phone and she’d already entered anyway so I figured I couldn’t throw her out now.

“It’s there,” I said, waving a hand at the phone in my lounge. I sat down on the sofa so that I could listen in to whatever conversation she was going to have. She picked up the phone straight away and dialled a number. I leaned forwards to put my lunchbox down on the coffee table.

There was silence for what felt like ages. I drummed my fingers on my knees. The girl turned her back on me.

Eventually, she spoke. “Grace? Yeah it’s me. Look, don’t have a go, all right, I got stuck… Yeah… in the Fourth, yeah… I know. I don’t know where I am now! Some backwards village called Doniton.”

She glanced at me. I smiled and she turned her back again. “Just ask the Grigori to open the library door, ok? Well, whenever he can.” She put the phone down.

“That was,” I said, “possibly the weirdest conversation I’ve ever eavesdropped on. And I’ve listened to people talking to their dogs.”

She sighed and sat down in my armchair. I took the opportunity to ask more questions. “Who’s Grace?”

“A friend.”

“What library? Doniton doesn’t have a library. We just have a mobile library. You know, one of those vans that come round.”

The Library. You wouldn’t know it.”

I didn’t know it. That’s why I’d asked what library she’d meant. Anyway, I had more questions. “What’s a Grigori?”

She leaned forwards and rubbed her temples. I waited patiently. “An angel,” she said. “You won’t believe me.”

“Ah,” I said. I tried to piece together what I’d heard. “So you want this angel to open the library door and let you in? Is uh, is the library another name for heaven? I mean, angels live in heaven and you fell out of the sky, where heaven is, and uh… All right, I’m lost.”

She looked at me through her hair. “What’s your name?” she asked.

“Jamie,” I replied.

“Jamie, can I use your bathroom?”

“Um. Sure. Up the stairs and first door on your right.”

She left the room. I wished I’d asked for her name. I sat back on the sofa and tried to figure out some sort of logical explanation for everything that had happened to me but I couldn’t think of anything. I wondered if she was doing drugs in my bathroom and I frowned to myself.

While I was waiting, I reached over for the phone to call work and let them know what was happening. Or at least make up some sort of emergency which needed my urgent attention.

I told my boss that my Nan had died. It wasn’t a lie. My Nan had died. She’d died two years ago, but he didn’t need to know the details. I told him that I’d gotten a phone call on my lunch break and, grief stricken, wandered home. He told me I could have the next day off. Bonus.

When I put the phone down, the girl was standing in the doorway. “I’ve seen something in your garden,” she said.

I tried to think what she could have meant. I wasn’t aware of anything unusual in my garden. All I had was grass, a patio, a bird table…

“Oh?” I asked.

“A door,” she said.

Of course. A door. I don’t know why I wasn’t catching on by now. “Oh right,” I said. “The library door, I suppose.”

“No, Jamie, a different door. Like the one I came out of.” She came and sat beside me on the sofa. “A door to another dimension.”

She said it with such a straight face that I would have thought she was joking if I hadn’t had already witnessed the other crazy stuff. I nodded. I didn’t know what else to do really.

“It’s to the Sixth,” she said. As if that just made everything clearer.

I shifted my bum to the edge of the sofa. “Can I ask a very important question?” She nodded so I took a moment to compose exactly what I wanted to say. I clasped my hands together. “What the hell is going on?”

“There’s a door in your back garden which opens up to the Sixth,” she said.

“Something could come through it at any moment. Something nasty. So we need to get the hell out of here. Preferably now.”

I'll guess lunchbox. (checks) Right-o, as opposed to: Box lunch.
Ellipsis...are.... fine... Spock.
...* I shifted my bum to... how many gears does it have?:rolleyes:

I haven't read the whole thing, but I had to quickly skim through it and find these ellipsis.

Eventually, she spoke. “Grace? Yeah it’s me. Look, don’t have a go, all right, I got stuck… Yeah… in the Fourth, yeah… I know. I don’t know where I am now! Some backwards village called Doniton.”

This is fine, though I would capitalise the 'I' in 'in'.

I don't mind the odd ellipses in dialogue, and here they work well to define a phone conversation. It's when they a liberally dotted throughout the prose - even if it's in the first-person - that they become an issue.

Lunchbox. Got it. Cheers.

Thanks, Cul! Will capitalise that 'I'. I know I use too many ellipses (in one review about one of my short stories, the guy said something about emptying the cartridge of the ellipses machine gun... or something) I'm trying to cut back though. :D

I've had terrible trouble ellipsating an overheard phone conversation. I even tried groups of ellipses, one for each second of "pause". (It didn't work.)

I really like this. I guessed it was a male narrator from the beginning, but that might only be because I'm male. You don't actually make it clear till well into the second excerpt, and it was bothering me that I didn't know. So have him comb his chest-hair or something.

The only definite change I'd make would be to take out "That sounds like a cliche, but farmers did that". That pulled me up, for some reason. Maybe just because I was wondering why you hadn't used "farmers do that" -- it seemed to place the narrator at a great distance from the story, as though he's talking about something that happened fifty years ago when there still were such things as farmers.

But, in general, very good stuff. It reads very easily and with an engaging sense of humour.

Cheers, HB. I think I'll take the farmer bit out. Or change it to 'do' like you suggest.

I actually chose Jamie because it's a unisex name (although in the UK it's more masculine). But it'll be going. I was thinking Sam but I already used that for a female character in something else and I don't like re-using names!

I don't often give my first person stories a gender. Not really sure why not! Guess I just want whoever's reading it to relate to the character no matter what their sex. But if this character's coming across as male, and not knowing for definite bothered you, I reckon I might just make him male and that's that. Just need a better name...

I never noticed if Jamie were described as male or female. I did think that the name told me nothing.

You might be interested in knowing that most people assume the sex of the character even if not told. Unfortunately along stereotypical gender lines --- Nurses=female; Doctors=male; Parson=male; mechanics=male; Day care workers=female; and when that is not available and the name doesn't give a clue, they assume a sex like their own, which is clearly why you do what you do in not identifying them.

But, doesn't the character change to a degree with who you (the author) think it is? Males and Females don't always think alike. (Shocking, I know.)

[Knowing that you like Rockabilly --- How about Sue? --- Johnny Cash, you know.]

A boy called Sue? :D

I guess I always have an idea of the gender of the character in my head. If it's strongly male, I'll make him male, same if it's strongly female (I'll make her female, not male too. That'd be daft.).

For this story, I do picture him as male so like I said to HB I might just go ahead and make him male.

I've been trying to think why I (and perhaps others) assumed the narrator was male, and it might be that sitting against hay-bales whilst on lunch-break implies a farm worker, who are usually male.

But, at the risk of seeming mad, I wonder if there's something masculine about just the phrase "I was on my lunch break". Somehow, it feels wrong when I try to put that line into a female narration, but I don't know why, nor what a feminine version would be. I know there are supposed to be certain sentence structures etc that are supposed to be masculine or feminine -- I wonder if this is an example of one.

I liked it a lot Mouse!

Now, I know you like short punchy paragraphs, but I would combine your last two. I hate it when authors split a dialogue paragraph like that. I assumed the second paragraph will be Jamie replying and then have to do a double take when the content suggests it's the girl instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.