Hey all, needing help finding a fantasy trilogy

cbiii

its been 10+ years since i have read or even SEEN the books (typical lending/trading to friends and no longer seeing them again). My memories are a bit sketchy on the exact content but the basis was that each main character had a familiar (one had a seagull, another books was a cat i believe). I remember there being a magical tree who played an integral role to the story but i dont recall how. I believe that hte ones with the familiars were the only ones that were able to use magic and I also think that it was genetic.

Sorry for the vague description.. I hope someone can help.

fwiw, each bookcover was a different color (red,blue and green i believe)

no, unfortunately not. I believe another of the familiars was an owl. I think by eating the fruit/seed of the tree, it made them much more powerful but they eventually went crazy.

I think that the tree produced a seed or fruit that when eaten would increase their magic. too much consumption drove the person crazy. if that helps.

A seagull familiar is an unusual thing. Only place I’ve come across that in a trilogy is Defenders of Magic series by Mary Kirchoff from 1990s. They are Dragonlance books.

1675794700961.png