Alan Moore's Neonomicon

Sargeant_Fox

Has anyone been reading Alan Moore's Neonomicon comic book, a four-part mini-series published by Avatar Press and based on Lovecraft's universe?

It's been an interesting read so far, involving R'Lyeh, aquatic monsters and cops investigating a weird sex cult. But it's not for the faint hearted :)

Yeah, definitely not for the faint of heart. A friend told me what happens in one of them, I'm thinking the third or fourth one.

Not happy stuff.

Sounds like a great series though.

Yeah, definitely not for the faint of heart. A friend told me what happens in one of them, I'm thinking the third or fourth one.

Must be the third. But the series has grown in intensity, so the fourth and final issue must reveal mind-breaking horrors :D

Yep it was the third! I saw this and read some in Hastings the other day.

Very f'd up.

A 32 page comic is not enough substance to deal with much, and they are not even available on Amazon. Keep trying though. I would maybe even order them if they were on Amazon but I can't imagine that it would be very intense. For a great graphic novel, read "Born of the Battlefield".

What was I going to say. The reason why there are no great Lovecraft movie efforts is because nobody has the strength to take on that magnitude of a film without being embarrassed. I mean, in "Dagon", the ocean floor erupted, causing a surface environment scene, and it was nicely constructed so as to make it a plausible story line, yet it did not leave humanity to solve anything. This creature or god was aquatic in nature but the Philistine army was not a naval army, or was it. Anyway, I'm not sure where the answers are, but Lovecraft was able to deliver with some force, his nightmare, that lead to the horror existence to appear and than disappear.

Now a graphic novel might do well with all of the detail that Lovecraft writing contains, but I think that Lovecraft somehow took more than he gave and we are left plundered, as evidenced by what I have seen myself, but I am hopeful, so I would order this set I think if it was available, if it ever does make it.

Shall put this on the list of books to look for when in London in April ... will the fourth be out then?

I've heard the TPB is on its way, collecting the four issues. Anyone know when it'll be available here in the UK?

I heartly suggest The Courtyard by Moore, as well. It's the prequal to Neonomicon. Has a very disturbing story which feels very Lovecraft in my opinion.

AKLO