Waiting for Lynch and The Republic of Thieves

HoopyFrood

It's me! Hurrah!
Hopefully (shakes fist at the sky) the third book of the Gentleman ******* series, The Republic of Thieves, will be out early in the new year (March, is it? I think that was the last date I heard). To keep us going until then, Lynch has put up a small section on his official website. It can be found >>HERE<<

Something that I wanted to note here is that I'm just going through The Lies of Locke Lamora again. In the Young Locke sections, he's just had his discussion with Father Chains and sat down to dinner. Father Chains has poured out a drink to the absent Sabetha. Locke asks

"Who's Sabetha?"

I am very interested to see how Lynch is going to match up that line with the new prologue to the third book.

Additional: Just looked on Amazon, date on there says 17th February (but I have been lied to again and again by that place!). Also, little blurb-y bit on there.

After their adventures on the high seas, Locke and Jean are brought back to earth with a thump. Jean is mourning the loss of his lover and Locke must live with the fallout of crossing the all-powerful magical assassins the Bonds Magi. It is a fall-out that will pit both men against Locke's own long lost love. Sabetha is Locke's childhood sweetheart, the love of Locke's life and now it is time for them to meet again. Employed on different sides of a vicious dispute between factions of the Bonds Sabetha has just one goal - to destroy Locke for ever. The Gentleman ******* sequence has become a literary sensation in fantasy circles and now, with the third book, Scott Lynch is set to seal that success.

I'm really looking forward to this. I loved the first one and I thought the second was even better. Love the characters, the dialogue and the crazily convoluted plots. It's pretty ace to think that Lynch has all these other books planned. Hopefully he won't chuck a GRRM...

I'm curious to see what kind of character Sabetha will be. Just a female Locke? It seems kind of inevitable that they'll get over their grudge and team up at some stage, but who knows, maybe Lynch'll throw all that out the window.

According to Scott's site she appears in the next one

Excerpts, Downloads, and Bonus Material

"You asked politely. You asked impolitely. You sent death threats. You hired mercenaries. Well, they made their point very clear! Enjoy the prologue to The Republic of Thieves, and lay eyes on Sabetha Belacoros for the very first time."

Not read the excerpt yet but am tempted :)

Um, yeah, that's what the big HERE and arrows pointing to it is about in my first post. A link to the exerpt. And also why I mentioned Sabetha and how Lynch is going to link up the new prologue to Locke apparently not knowing Sabetha when he first reached Father Chains' gaff.

Reading the prologue is a double edged sword -- it's awesome to read it, but at the same time, makes me want more NOW. And also, being Young Locke stuff again, doesn't tell you anything about how they resolve that little doosy afflicting Locke at the end of the second book...

This series had me a true believer from the first pre-release excerpts, and a sworn apostate after Volume 2. Too much angst, not enough hi-jinks and almost exactly the same plot twists.

The book will not be out in February or March. Scott was supposed to hand in the last major revisions for the book a few months ago and failed to do so, so the book has been bumped back to Summer. My current information is that even this is suspect, and Autumn 2011 may now be more likely. The Amazon dates have not been updated yet.

Scott is recovering from a family death, the breakdown of his marriage and a serious bout of depression, so these delays seem pretty reasonable given what he's been going through.

Fortunately for me, I haven't been waiting all that long for TRoT - about 13 hours to be precise. So I think I can wait a little longer...

Enjoyed the first book immensely. I tried Abercrombie and Erikson and just didn't get along with them for different reasons, but Lynch has definitely got my attention.

I just hope Lynch's newfound success and an obviously trying period in his life doesn't effect the following books adversely (or his own desire to write them). I liked Red Seas, but for a longer book it seemed to achieve less than Lies in my far-from-expert opinion. That said, the quality of his writing remains high (love his blend of decidely commonplace and archaic language), and I'll definitely be following this series to the end.

Now to get round to reading that new prologue...

I really wasn't surprised when Amazon emailed to say it wouldn't be out in February and that they had no idea when it would be. It's been 4 years now, so I'm not going to get my hopes up until it actually says 'dispatched'. Even then I'm not sure I'll be convinced.

The current hoped-for date is November 2011, but the publishers have said that this date is tentative and not locked in place, as they still haven't received the final, locked version of the manuscript.

Oh that makes me so sad. I've been waiting for this one.

I starting reading his books as a means of waiting for GRRM...what will I read to wait for Scott Lynch?

Just an update. I spoke to Lynch's publishers a few weeks ago and they confirmed they have most of the MS. They are waiting for the final chunk and then the book can enter production for release in November 2011.

We're quite close to the point at which the book can't hit the November date. So in a few weeks we should hopefully know if the book will be 100% out in November or if it will drop back to 2012.

I've signed up to the Scott Lynch newsletter - he says the moment he has publishing news, he'll send it via that. Will see if he remembers.

And hope it's not too long a wait - this is an old thread!!

Pfft, you know nothing of waiting :p:p I read the book not too long after it came out (though somehow managed to score the hardback from a charity shop, which was great) and have been dying for the rest all this time. The first one really was so cracking that -- and I do feel very much for Scott Lynch, I know from first hand experience that anxiety and panic attacks are awful, never mind all the rest he went through -- it's really been difficult waiting for the next parts.

Have you read the extract from the next book that I posted at the start of this thread, Brian? It's quite bittersweet in that at least we get to go back to that world for a little while, but it does just serve to remind you that we don't even know when the next book is due still...

No, I had a quick look, but I'd prefer to see what's eventually printed.

I don't want to read the online excerpt, only to find the final text is significantly different. I figure it's bound to be set for revision. I don't want to set up expectations for the content. :)

Back