The Shunned House by H. P. Lovecraft

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
I've only read a few HPL pieces but this one is the creepiest so far! The story is about a house which, though not haunted, is plagued by strange events caused by some presence. Most of the original family that lived there, the Harris family, died one by one under strange circumstances until it was decided not to rent the house any further. Then, years later, our narrator takes up the case and begins to investigate this shunned dwelling, unearthing the secrets therein
and finally deciding to do something about it.
The
first chapter read like an Introduction to the
story; on the edition I read there was no Chapter
1, so when the 'Introduction' ends, which
mentions a discourse with Edgar Alan Poe on the
said house, I come to Chapter 2 and realise my
mistake!
So it seems that the story is going to read like a documentary and in some ways it does (there is virtually no dialogue), but even so it is a creepy tale, one I can definitely recommend as an introduction to Lovecraft's work.

It's a familiar theme.. Richard Matheson's Legend of Hell House... Every haunted house story technically. I'm due for an HPL reread session as tis, should start with this one.

Tis. Just finished it and now I'm looking at some unusual....stains, on my cement floor here, and ...

I just listened to an audio reading of the story, following along in me Penguin Classics, and I find the tale quite effective. It's fascinating to see Lovecraft use conventional supernatural tropes and makes them effectively his own. The evocation of mystery and horror is splendid. Listening to the tale makes me long to return to Providence. When I spent four days there we stayed in an antient bed & breakfast inn directly across ye street from the real Shunned House!

I just listened to an audio reading of the story, following along in me Penguin Classics, and I find the tale quite effective. It's fascinating to see Lovecraft use conventional supernatural tropes and makes them effectively his own. The evocation of mystery and horror is splendid. Listening to the tale makes me long to return to Providence. When I spent four days there we stayed in an antient bed & breakfast inn directly across ye street from the real Shunned House!

Who did the reading? Anyone famous?

Who did the reading? Anyone famous?
Gregg Margarite. It's at some place called LibriVox,
http://www.sffaudio.com

He's not a very good reader, mispronounces some words (I know how easy it is to do that) and substitutes his own words in some few places. But it's fun to listen to his reading as you follow along with S. T. Joshi's corrected text. I find the story improves upon each reading.

This is one of my favourites. I'm suprised it's not one of his more widely talked about.