October 2010 Writing Challenge -- HareBrain Wins Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, Shaman

Bone-fires licking the sky, islands of light against encroaching darkness. Protection they think. They are deceived.
The gossamer veil, the barrier, burns, unshrouding the realm of the dead.

Summer’s end: whispers of new life for the worthy. Seed is spilled. Blood, next.
They revel: masked, exultant, blind to fortune. Gouged-out eyes in candle lanterns see me not.
I sharpen my blade.

They feast in autumn plenty, the treats of harvest home.
I take another harvest.

Blue Sky Thinking (Rain Later)

“Space, the final-“

“Forget it. Too retro.”

“Once upon a time-“

“Don’t even go there. Look, the title has to suggest both the thrill of a sexual encounter with a new species plus alien duplicity. Preferably in four words or less.”

“Four words or less?

“Yeah, it’s basically a teen S-F slasher movie so we don’t want to tax our target demographic. Think gratuitous shower scenes in zero-G.”

“You know, I just might have something…”

Zoe Saldana is one-seventy-thousandth french.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Yippie-kay yay...”

“What are you doing, Draco? Don’t shout obscene words.”

“I just saw two blue-skinned aliens called Na’avi kssing. French style!”

“Whats up with that? Just check this clip out on Youtube.”

Draco’s friend plays the video.

“The male Na’avi is called Sam Worthington and the female is called Zoe Saldana. She is one-seventy-thousandth French. That’s the reason for the French kiss.

“.... Mot----------. You just ruined my whole day.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
The Spirit of Halloween :)

Wally lolled bonelessly on the couch, staring mindlessly at Halloween horror movies. He was wasted.
Suddenly, childrens' voices sounded from the hallway. Impossible! There were no kids in the building, especially not in the dangerously moldy basement where Wally lolled his days away. He shuffled to the door.
There were two teenagers there with sacks. Wally gave them some heroin and went back to the couch. They'd be back next year, and no more freebies.

If you don't succeed at first....

“A few million years, at the most. Beautiful planet, isn’t it?”
“Very. But you know the drill. Bring one up.”
Something leathery and slit eyed, with a snout, materialized inside. Y’xa looked fondly upon the creature, then at G’y, pleadingly.
“Cute. But not quite. Let’s start over.”
Y’xa sighed. Momentarily, the explosion was reflected on the creature’s eyes. Dismissing it a second later, it sat back in its glass prison and scratched itself seriously.

(Ok, i'll give this a go. just a little note before i post reminding people of my dyslexia, so very sorry for any spelling mistakes)

Trick!

"Huh" said the old man as he busied himself,
"trick or treat? every year the same" He rips more tape from the roll.
"i give those kids all the sweets they can handle"
He moulds the tape around the Hose pipe on to the wood of the door.
"every year my bins are kicked over or my plants trapled"
he walks to the kitchen tap and waits to play a trick of his own.

The Gods Look Up
"My treat!" Zeus boomed.

"You sure? asked Hermes. "Isn't it my shout?"

"Ssh!" hissed Athena. "He hasn't bought a round in aeons."

"What is it?" asked Ares.

"Roman ale."

"I'm glad Dionysus isn't here," muttered Hera. "He'd be turning in his grave."

Zeus downed his fast. "Same again?"

His smile fell as he turned. He hadn't been the same since Jupiter tricked him off Olympus. Still, maybe this Jesus would knock him off his throne.

Carry me back to the old Five and Dime.

The ship careered through the Milky Way™.

Captain Altoid™ and his crew of Jolly Ranchers™ had been intimidating planets and getting their loot since the Starburst™.

He now had saved enough Zots™ to get back to Mars™ and finally buy his Sky Bar™.

Suddenly, an attack! His foes weapons landed Good & Plenty™, Atomic Fire Balls™ pounded the ship.

"Commander Rolo™! He cried. Arm Warheads™! Give them a Whopper™, It could be a Life Saver™!"

How do the angels get to sleep when the Devil leaves his porch light on?*

The squeals of children seem so faint when I finally reach Raub’s Filth. Avoiding the leering attention of sickly whores and gap-toothed thugs, I duck into the den.

Dirty sax roils around the room like thick smoke. It sticks to my flesh like sin. Quickly, I reach the occupied booth where for one night every year, broken men can broker desperate deals. I swallow my last doubts, and sit.

“Trick or treat?” grins the Devil.

* Tom Waits, Mr Segel

The Witching Hour

She waited beneath the oak just before midnight, as he'd asked. Remembering his breathless invitation, her pulse quickened. She’d thought he’d never notice her.

She heard them before they stumbled into view, voices loud, words slurred with alcohol.

Her voice wavered. ‘You said you’d be alone.’

‘Wassamatter?’ he said with a leer. ‘You’re in for a real treat.’

Power tingled through her fingertips. It was forbidden, usually. Except for one night a year.

She smiled.

And the October Writing Challenge is Closed.

Congratulations to everyone who met the challenge and submitted a story!

Culhwch only had time to set up the poll before other duties called him away. I have the URL, but I don't know how to make it say "Vote Here," so here it is in all it's unadorned glory.

To vote in the poll, click on the link below:

October Writing Challenge - TRICK OR TREAT - Poll | Polldaddy.com (poll 3972786)

o
o
o
o

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.