House of Suns - Alastair Reynolds

gully_foyle

Here kitty kitty kitty!
In the past I've been a bit lukewarm about some of his books, particulary those of the Revelation Space line. I had a bit of trouble caring about his characters.

But Century Rain stood out for me because the characters were refreshingly different, particularly Wendell Floyd. And now I've just finished House of Suns and it was excellent. Written on a cosmological timescale and with a sense of wry humour (until everything goes pear shaped) not present in his earlier books, this is Reynolds at the most enjoyable that old Gully has seen him.

However, I kind of expected something to come of the running joke with all the Gentian Line names, but it didn't.

So two questions. First is who else enjoyed this one? And the second is, should Al have his own forum in the Author's section by now? Anyone support this motion?

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
I'd definately support Alastair's own section on these forums. I've yet to read House of Suns, but i've very much enjoyed all of his works so far. (Especially the Revelation Space books.)

J Riff

The Ants are my friends..
I tried Revelation Space and had to skip thru it. The characters dint grab me nuther Gully. But very interesting science, the astrophysicist in him cannot be denied, and the Greenfly are pretty scary.
Anyone thinking of writing modern deep-space sciFi should have a look at his work.

Megidolaon

I recently finish House of Sun and loved it.
And just now I heard of his contract for 10 books in 10 years, I REALLY hope there will be more of this setting.

There is just unbelievable potential there, 6 million years of spacefaring.

As for Revelation Space, I didn't like anyone either at first. It takes a while but the characters will definitely grow on you. I found them quite interesting and could sympathize with them after a couple of hundred pages.

holland

caught in a trap, can't walk out
Well, I found Revelation Space was pretty dull, but I loved House of Suns!

I don't feel like continuing with the Rev Space universe, but I'm open to suggestions for other books by Mr. Reynolds :)

ralphkern

Pushing Ice - One of my fave BDO books.

Blue Remembered Earth - A great start to his new (well not new anymore) trilogy, a luke warm sequel though... but looking forwards to book three.