Discussing the Writing Challenges -- November and December 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should end the voting earlier too! You know, to say the 21st before the festive season has had chance to fully take effect.:)

But the effects of the celebration of Christ's birth are peace, joy, love, hope, and happiness. Why would we want to vote when we are of vile "spirit." :p

TE I have been saved from making some false conclusion about the tone of a post by the emoticons. (See above.)

If it's not broke don't fix it. That's the saying isn't it? Voting seems to work fine to me, I don't mind a tiebreaker. It would be nice if more people voted but if it's not happening, it's not happening. (Out of interest, why do some people who enter not vote?)

Anyway... congrats Stormfeather! I love it when a story I've voted for wins. I've picked two winners now. SF, and Hoops last time. Now, if only it was like horse racing and I got some sort of monetary payment for it. :D

Well, the new theme is up - I know it's a bit early, but as it's already new year for some of us, and I have friends coming round shortly (and have managed to bagsy the lie-in tomorrow - yay!!), I didn't want to keep anyone waiting in the morning.

It's partly a play on words - as at this time of year many of us make resolutions, and it's partly a nod to the turning of the years. That, and it should be broad enough to provide inspiration to all . . . . I hope :eek:;)

Thank you all for the votes and the positive comments. It's been a marvellous confidence boost at the end of a tough month, and has given me the urge to get back to some of the tales I'd started to tell in the critiques section.

Anyhoo - off to celebrate the turn of the year - hope you all have a fab night!:D:D

Well done, SF! Definitely the deserving winner. Intriguing theme, and open genre. Inn-teresting.

I'm fine with how things have been going, one vote per person, the occasional tie-breaker. I don't think there have been any huge problems occurring, and the competition has continued with a pretty consistent amount of participation.

Well done Stormfeather!

On the voting system , a win by 1 vote is fine for me , but if it needs to be more conclusive... how about if (irrespective of the difference in votes) the top 2 (or possibly 3) stories went into a tiebreaker , and the winner came from them. That way , rather than study at length 30 or 40 stories those that are clearly seen as the most popular could be voted for. So we could have story deadline of the 21st , votes cast by the 28th and the last 3 used for voting on those. Doing it this way may get more votes , because some may be reluctant to cast a vote without facing the (generally enjoyable!) prospect of having to judge from so many entries in such a short period of time. Also , you may find it easier getting people from other parts of the forum to vote if they only have to read/pick from 2 or 3?

Here we are on New Year's Eve and I'm just happy to see next month's theme already up!

A fine choice, SF, and the open-genre should prompt a little more variety (if that's possible).

Actually, my first idea involves the love that dare not speak its name. No, not that one, the other one. No, not that one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.