31.05: Flesh and Stone

Firstly how did River Song survive a decompression into space, I know she mentioned an air corridor (or something) but that was a little unscientific if you ask me, the tardis wasn't even there at first. Surely an explosive decrompresion is nihg on unsurvivable?

There would be no explosive decompression in such an case. Here's some information on the topic:

Explosive Decompression and Vacuum Exposure

Uncontrolled decompression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

River was not exposed to the vacuum for anywhere near 9-11 seconds, so would not only survive, but most likely be able to remain conscious. And, as she was prepared for the incident, there would be no "startle" factor to minimize her safety margin....

I'm having second thoughts on this one now. To do this properly and cause the Doctor to regenerate means they have to keep this storyline running right the way up until Matt Smith decides to retire as the Doctor

Indeed - that's why if it is the Doctor being referred to, it's not necessarily going to be a straight forward situation. To be imprisoned, she only needs to be believed to have killed. :)

But there is certainly plenty of open interpretations on how this will all develop, and I don't Mr Moffat is going to rush it. :)

Especially as in the Silence in the Library two parter, she described Tennant's Doctor as looking young - which implied she knew an older-looking Doctor - and certainly not one as young as Matt Smith.

Then again, as Dave mentioned elsewhere, the longer Doctor Who as a series runs, the harder is it for continuity to run smooth. :)

On the other hand, the advantage of a time travelling protagonist is that continuity is almost an optional extra :p

Especially as in the Silence in the Library two parter, she described Tennant's Doctor as looking young - which implied she knew an older-looking Doctor - and certainly not one as young as Matt Smith.

Then again, as Dave mentioned elsewhere, the longer Doctor Who as a series runs, the harder is it for continuity to run smooth. :)
I like the idea of much longer story arcs. Though I suspect he has no real idea where this will eventually go, it would be good if in say, two regenerations time, an older looking Doctor meets Song just before he does as Tennant. The meeting Queen Elizabeth I line was, I thought, just a throwaway line, but they did come back and address it later.

I stand corrected :)

I think most of us -- at least, who didn't make science a major portion of their own studies -- have had the same misconception. It is one of those sf conventions (or clichés) which seems to be everywhere....

I thought the same3 until I re-watched Silence in the Library last night (One of the advantages of having a 1 1/2 year old who seems to be addicted to Doctor Who already is that we get to see a lot of DW, even if we can't concentrate on it as deeply as we'd like). River Song does indeed say the Doctor looks young (the memorable bit) but then the Doctor says he most certainly is not young, and she says that its not him, but his eyes, she can see the age or lack thereof in them... so technically although Matt Smith looks like he's barely out of nappies, his eyes would tell a different story.. :rolleyes:

Comfy chair! Subtle Monty Python reference or just another chance to have a Doctor Who monster say something terribly ordinary?

I think I may be one of the few who quite liked the fact that Amy tried to jump on the Doctor at the end, shows that Moffat isn't going down the same route as RTD with the whole unrequited love nonsense.
I haven't seen anyone else post this as yet, but I spotted a continuity error in the episode.
The Doctor loses his jacket when one of the Angels grabs onto it, but for a brief moment, in the scene where he tells Amy to remember what he told her when she was 7, he has his jacket on, then it's gone again in the next scene. My Dad noticed it on his 2nd viewing but didn't want to bring it up first in case he was seeing things.

As for the resolution of the episode, I'll assume that that was not all of the Weeping Angels. Although it was an army, I'm sure there are more out in the far reaches, or maybe one had nipped out to the loo. It would be a waste to kill them off completely by having them fall into a hole - an existence-wiping crack-in-the-universe hole, but a hole nonetheless.

Favourite episode so far...River Song didn't annoy me quite as much. Liked how Amy's isolation and confusion showed that she was just worlds different from the Doctor and River, but how she still managed to stand up for herself and demand to be told what was happening. She isn't just content to do what he says.

Liked the humour...I'm a sucker for puns..."Get a grip" "I'm afraid you haven't quite realised the gravity of your situation." ...lol

Pretty forest, scary angels, nice Doctor - who has elf ears, by the way. I noticed in the last scene.

On the last scene...that oh-so-controversial one. I didn't mind it. To me it made sense. She's running away from her wedding. She's just survived near death, scary situations, and whatnot. She wants comfort. She wants it now. And she wants the Doctor, on top of all of it (err, so to speak). Wasn't too explicit. Doctor was funny. It's not bringing the love thing back, because it's not love. It's a long-time crush mixed with good old-fashioned lust. Maybe not so child appropriate, but hey. It can be explained away to the younger ones with "she wants him to kiss her", and the older ones will probably have an idea anyway.
And it was entirely one-sided. Doctor doesn't like humans in that way. Damn :(

^^

The Doctor loses his jacket when one of the Angels grabs onto it, but for a brief moment, in the scene where he tells Amy to remember what he told her when she was 7, he has his jacket on, then it's gone again in the next scene. My Dad noticed it on his 2nd viewing but didn't want to bring it up first in case he was seeing things.

Continuity error or an alternate-timeline Doctor having a private moment with Amy?

Discussion on io9