What do we call this decade?

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
There has not been consensus on the naming of this decade (popularly it ends in a few days, mathematically we have a year and a few days). Suggestions have included the Aughts, the Twenty Oh-Ohs, the Naughties, the Double O's, the Zeros, the Unies, the First Decade and others, but none has become the standard.

I can't find any of these that is an elegant nomenclature. Please weigh in on this maybe we can change the world.:D:D:D

The Eighties.

Well, we pretty much recycled the 1980s during the last ten years...

The Eighties.

Well, we pretty much recycled the 1980s during the last ten years...

:D I like it.

Actually, it's a bit late wondering what we're going to call this decade, people are already thinking what to call the next decade. A few popular choices: The Teenies, the twenty-tens, the tenners...

I believe it has become known as the noughties, or at least that is what I have heard it being refered to as. I like it, the noughties is a good name for the decade, but what will the next one be, the teens? the tens?
Last millennium it was easy (or at least last century) the ninteen 80's, 20's, 50's, 90's
although I'm not sure what they called the period between 1910 and 1919?
But I think we wont know how the decade will be referred to until at least half way through it, I think come 2020 we will start to name the decades the twenty 20's or the twenty 30's.

When are we going to get back to everyone calling the year twenty something instead of two thousand and something? After all you never heard anyone last century say about the year one thousand nine hundred and something, or even nineteen hundred and something.

I reckon that'll be come 2020, when we can quite happily add the twenty prefix without sounding too stupid, like this year can't be twenty nine can it?
Maybe twenty oh-nine
actually next year can be twenty ten, silly me, doh!

Well when did the Wright brothers make their flight for instance, was it 19 hundred and 3 or 19 oh 3?

Just ending: the Naughties.

Starting in just over a week: the Two-tens...

I don't think the "naughties" will fly in the states. We so seldom refer to a zero as naught, that everyone who hear naughties that we are making a moral comment on the decade as when everyone was naughty. Or.... is that what is actually meant?

If we're currently in the Naughties, shouldn't we be headed into the Nice-ies?
Sorry - I'll get me coat!

Don't know what the last decade should be called but so far I've been calling next year oh-10.

I will call next year 2010. Perhaps the decade in question should be called the 20 ohs?

I don't think the "naughties" will fly in the states. We so seldom refer to a zero as naught, that everyone who hear naughties that we are making a moral comment on the decade as when everyone was naughty. Or.... is that what is actually meant?
I think we should "continue" to call them the Noughties on this side of the Pond.

The citizens of the US, being of a more optimistic disposition, could call them the Cheery-Ohs, if they like....

Well then we could call them the "nillies", e.g., Manchester defeated Tottenham two-nil. Or maybe the "lovies", e.g., Dementieva leads Williams thirty-love.

Maybe this first decade is just "Willy-Nilly"

Twenty-Ten or Two thousand and ten?

Good question. I was not clear. I meant twenty-ten. Tonight I heard my American TV broadcaster (on ESPN no less!) call the decade the twenty naughts. --- Maybe I'll be surprised?:eek: