Feist still worthy of a read?

biodroid

A.D.D.
As much as I enjoyed Magician and Silverthorn, I tried A Darkness at Sethanon and could not get into it so I put it down. I then read on the forum that he has declined in quality. Is it true? I would like to get back to Feist. I tried GRRM and he bored me to tears so just gave up on him. Not trying to compare the 2 authors but is Feist still worthy of me paying money to buy his books? I thought Tad Williams was good but very tedious and slow and Feist IMO is way better than Eddings. Still need to try Robert Jordan.

DaS is one of Fiest's best books, as long as you get to the end that is, after that theres some real corkers, Prince of the Blood and King's Buccaneer (sp?) are good books and the Serpent Wars are personaly my fav books (although many people are not that keen on Merchant Prince). It's sort of after those four books that things tend to drop off in the main story arc. I personaly enjoyed most of his books and only bored with things during the last few books, theres a few errors in the story and spelling is never great in Fiest's books, but I'd recommend that you try DaS again and at least read ther Serpent Wars and Empire books.

Off the main story arc there's some more great reads such as the Empire trilogy based on Kelewan, the 3 Legend books (including Honours Enemy which I really enjoyed) and the Krondor trilogy. But if you don't read the others then you probably won't enjoy these either.

Yeah, what nj said.

Serpentwar saga, for me, is far and away Feist's best writing and it moves fairly quickly,which should keep you interested. Personally I much preferred DaS to S which is unoriginal to say the least.

If Martin bores you and Williams is 'slow' then I'll guarantee you will not like Jordan.

Woody.

Urm, No.

I think feist has a nice balance between description/world building and a forward moving plot. Jordan's plot spends much time doing nothing at all. That said, I enjoy Jordan's work so wouldn't want to put anyone off, but, I also love Martin and Williams.

Woody.

Well, you can...but there are references and back-plot you will miss, plus the fates of characters in PotB annd DaS won't be any surprise to you if you do ever get round to reading them.

Think of KB and PotB as "Krondor - the Next Generation"...:p

Is Feist as good as he was no, is he still worth reading yes.None of his other books apart from the Empire Trilogy co-written by Janny Wurts and maybe Faerie tale reach the heights of Magician but he is still one of my favourite authors.

I read Feist from "Magician" through to "Shards of a Broken Crown" and then I just stopped, decided I didn't want to read any more of his books and gave them all away. It's not that I disliked the Serpent War series, I quite enjoyed it. I just felt that I had had enough, that epic fantasy series were no longer for me, time to move on.

I would be interested in knowing if anything he's done since is worth drawing me back though. Certainly if he doesn't surpass what I've read of his already I wouldn't be interested. I've also read "Faery Tale" too.

IMO you left at about the right time. I don't think Feist has, or is likely to surpass his previous efforts.

The books after the Serpentwar Saga are good, solid books, but nothing more than that. They're riddled with errors, that's the main problem; they're also far too short!

I find I can turn a blind eye, I might go what the............. but then ignore it. For me Feist is like visiting an old friend, you know they get things mixed up or remember things differently, forget who currently runs the country but your found of them so you ignore the mistakes.

I have read every one of Fiests books and am doing a reread of them slowly. I am on Kings Buccaneer right now and am enjoying it. I am really looking forward to getting to the Serpentwar Saga. I have the fondest memories of that series.

Not so long ago I re-read Magician. I had thoroughly enjoyed it and the following books on my first read but this time I found Magician rather boring.

I think in my case it was a change in my taste of literature that probably caused that.

I re-read the whole series once a year when the a new book comes out; I'll start again in a few days. I'm still captivated by his world, even with the constant corrections I have to mentally do