The All-New Singing and Dancing October Reading Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyan

Excelsior!
Staff member
Supporter
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.

Arnold Lobel

I'm going to be reading...

Perdido Street Station
A Game Of Thrones
&
Astropolis: Red Mars

Great, I've been planning for a while now that October was going to be a spooky horror themed month for me. Lined up to read I have:

"October Country" by Ray Bradbury. I planned to read this last October but didn't get around ti it.
"Books of Blood: Vol 3" by Clive Barker. Gradually working my way through this series.
"The Mist" by Stephen King. Only other thing I've read of King's was "The Dark Tower" series which I didn't get on with.
In addition to these, I want to finish the M.R.James and Lovecraft collections I've had on the go for a while now.

I finished The Dramatist by Ken Bruen reading it 4 hour straight last night, thinking screw CL football. The book was too powerful.

I'm feeling drained by its power and annoyed by the lack of similar books by authors like Ken Bruen.

No one from the Ireland in these forums ? No one else who have read the Galway maestro ?

At the bookshop at 9am, bought and started Unseen Academicals, by Sir Terry...:D

I am trying to read 4 things, no, 5 things at once, which I never do because I tend to be ocd about starting and finishing a book as quickly as time allows. I guess I'm mellowing in my old age. Right now I am reading (aloud in a sing-song voice):

The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
Chesapeake by James Michner
Sandman by Neil Gaiman
101 Things You Didn't Know About Jane Austen
To Feel Stuff by Andrea Seigel

Oh, and you can't see me right now, but I just did a rather spectacular soft-shoe.

Just finished Mistborn: The Final Empire, and am about to start The Blade Itself.
I also have the following books waiting on my bookshelf, though I haven't decided which ones to read first:
Stormrider by David Gemmell
A Child of Prophecy by Juliet Marillier
The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
The Swan Maiden
Odinn's Child by Tim Severin

Currently reading:

The Sandman: Doll's House - Neil Gaiman
Lords and Ladies - Terry Pratchett (this is a re-read)
Rocket Men: The Epic Story of the First Men on the Moon - Craig Nelson
Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths go to Work - Dr. Paul Babiak and Dr. Robert Hare

Waiting on my bedside table:

Hellblazer: Original Sins

On order from my local comic book store: :D

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust - the last :( (I think) full length book of his that I haven't read

I'm reading Broken Angels by Richard K. Morgan. Which i didnt finish on my first read cause it was a bit disappointing compared to future classic Altered Carbon.

Graphic Novel: The Sandman Mystery Theatre vol 6 by Wagner,Guy Davis & Seagle.

I'm just finishing off the last few pages of Feist's Magician, and then I'm taking a break from Midkemia and starting on The Blade Itself. I've heard lots of good things about this, and I have the entire trilogy sitting on my bookshelf, so depending on how much I enjoy the first one, it may be sometime before I catch up with Pug, Lyam, Arutha, etc...

Finishe the Keir Cross, and started the colection "The Mask of Cthulhu" by Derleth, currently barely a sentence into "The return of Hastur" .

The Fade by Chris Wooding - just finished it. The local library had a stock swap and I've got Feast of Souls by Celia Friedman and A Darkness Forged in Fire by Chris Evans on the "try it out" pile.

Impressed by The Fade, really tightly written, fantastic world building and character set up, and a tragic ending. Might not ever re-read it (due to tragic ending) though the characters might draw me back to it. Certainly won't forget it for a long while.

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Surprisingly the movie had some similar scenarios to the book. Overall very enjoyable so far

Decided to pick one off the long term parking section of the TBR pile: Whole Wide World by Paul McAuley

Status
Not open for further replies.