Movie First?

TJR357

I want to get into Stargate. I currently have SG1 available to watch. I would like to know if I should watch the '94 film first?
Does it add/detract/differ from the series?
Do I need to watch it first, in order to understand the series?

I don't think you need to watch the Stargate movie before watching SG1 but I would certainly advise it. The only characters who are in both iterations are Daniel Jackson (James Spader in the film, Michael Shanks in the series) and Colonel Jack O'Neil (Kurt Russell in the movie, Richard Dean Anderson in the series) - although some of the supporting characters in the movie also make it into the Stargate series later on but not on a regular basis.

Anyway back to the point, the movie acts as an excellent 'prologue' for the series IMO as the 1st episode of Stargate picks up after the events of the movie and so takes advantage of certain things which the movie explains (what is a stargate, who is Daniel Jackson/Jack O'Neil etc). Yes, the two returning characters of Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neil are different from as pictured in the movie but not so fully as to jar too badly.

I don't think you need to watch the Stargate movie before watching SG1 but I would certainly advise it. The only characters who are in both iterations are Daniel Jackson (James Spader in the film, Michael Shanks in the series) and Colonel Jack O'Neil (Kurt Russell in the movie, Richard Dean Anderson in the series) - although some of the supporting characters in the movie also make it into the Stargate series later on but not on a regular basis.

Anyway back to the point, the movie acts as an excellent 'prologue' for the series IMO as the 1st episode of Stargate picks up after the events of the movie and so takes advantage of certain things which the movie explains (what is a stargate, who is Daniel Jackson/Jack O'Neil etc). Yes, the two returning characters of Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neil are different from as pictured in the movie but not so fully as to jar too badly.
Alright. Thanks for that. I think I'll pick it up and watch it first.
What about Atlantis? Should I watch all of SG 1 first?

I haven't really watched a lot of Atlantis so I hesitate to offer a firm opinion but from what little I did see, it seemed more of a standalone series. So long as you are comfortable with what a Stargate is/does (a doorway to another planet) that should be much more accessible for those who haven't seen the movie.

I'd watch the movie first, but that's just my preference. You don't have to at all if you don't want to.

I'd watch the movie first, but that's just my preference. You don't have to at all if you don't want to.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the movie tonight, before delving into the series.
Is the continuation jarring, going from the film to series? Like character continuation, etc.?

Yeah, I'll probably watch the movie tonight, before delving into the series.
Is the continuation jarring, going from the film to series? Like character continuation, etc.?

The character continuity for Jack is the only one that is a bit off. Apart form the fact that Richard Dean Anderson doesn't look like Kurt Russell there are a couple of things, such as the film O'Neil has a son called Tyler, the SG-1 O'Neill (note the two L's) has a son called Charlie. They do a throw-away comment on these two O'Neil(l)s at some point in the series though.

I don't think that the in some ways necessary continuation slip detracts in any way from the enjoyment of either, though. I saw the film first and got into the series without having to ask to many questions of it, it just seemed like an almost natural progression.

Well I watched the Director's Cut this weekend, but haven't started the series yet.
I enjoyed the film.

You don't have to see the movie first but I totally recommend it. I think the movie is awesome and the idea that brings the series so is good to see it. One good thing about Stargate SG-1 is that really follow after the movie and add to it. So seeing it is a plus.

Most of the differences between the series and the movie are dealt with in the first series, particularly the first episode. A couple of the local humans do pop up for quite a while, on and off, with or without the movie actors. It does give some background to the whole series.

As for Atlantis, there's quite a bit of cross-over from SG-1 to Atlantis, not least how they found it and got there, along with general "Stargate universe" terminology, friends, foes and technology. So yes, it does make more sense. Be aware that Atlantis season one starts at the end of SG-1 season 7 (with a couple of related cross-over episodes). Atlantis seasons 1-3 then run in parallel with SG-1 seasons 8-10, with season 4-5 continuing on (with some cross-over cast) when SG-1 finishes.

Most of the differences between the series and the movie are dealt with in the first series, particularly the first episode. A couple of the local humans do pop up for quite a while, on and off, with or without the movie actors. It does give some background to the whole series.

As for Atlantis, there's quite a bit of cross-over from SG-1 to Atlantis, not least how they found it and got there, along with general "Stargate universe" terminology, friends, foes and technology. So yes, it does make more sense. Be aware that Atlantis season one starts at the end of SG-1 season 7 (with a couple of related cross-over episodes). Atlantis seasons 1-3 then run in parallel with SG-1 seasons 8-10, with season 4-5 continuing on (with some cross-over cast) when SG-1 finishes.
Cool. I'm looking forward to it. Still haven't started...finishing up Battlestar Galactica first.