The Adventures Of Tarquin Jenkins: The Nerydire Book of Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bloated One

All,

Looking for comments on pacing and whether I should be adding more description of the scenery and people. Open to any thoughts and ideas. I promised Chris an opportunity to get stuck in with his red pen of grammar and punctuation. . .

Regardless of his decision, Tarquin would return to 2009 and resume his normal life. If he accepted the offer, Rigsworth would work up a story for his disappearance. If Tarquin decided 2340 wasn’t for him, he would wake with a sore head in a corner of a field, or on a park bench and remember nothing about his time travel adventures. Jeremiah Cavendish would be just another retired lock keeper raising worms and tending his garden.

For the remaining four days in 2340 AD, Rigsworth booked Tarquin into the Tour Guide School with Rhia. As Tarquin left the office, Jules turned to him and tapped his nose.

“Don’t mention the Tour Guide School is a cover to Rhia. She’s not ready yet.”

During the day, Tarquin and Rhia attended Rigsworth’s Time Travel Tour Guide School. At night, while he slept, the Encyclopedic Diviana 25, nicknamed the Edubed, fed him a selection of books. Titles were loaded onto small memory capsules and placed into a slot on the side of the bed, like a memory card into a computer. The information was then downloaded into Tarquin's hippocampus—this was how twenty fourth century humans learnt.

One morning, while taking a short cut through the Rigsworth Library of Lexiconography & Linguistics to meet Rhia, Tarquin suddenly stopped. Engrossed in attending the Guide School, he had forgotten about the part-translation. He slapped his head and groaned. He was standing in a vast repository of ancient and modern languages! A small, furry shaped humanoid wearing a white laboratory coat ran out of a side room and stared at him. It made a sharp, tutting noise and disappeared. Even in the twenty fourth century libraries were places of silent contemplation.

Tarquin hurried through the vaulted chamber trying to think up an excuse to stay in the library and not go to school. He spotted Rhia waiting by the entrance on the other side of the library and ran to meet her.

“I need to spend some time looking for something in here,” he said, shaking his head. “I won’t be able to follow you today.”

Rhia looked disappointed, but her face soon changed. She smiled mischievously at Tarquin.

“That’s okay,” she said, “we’re only missing a lecture on, ‘how to blag your way into a Victorian séance,‘ so we have a couple of hours to look for . . .what exactly are we looking for?”

Tarquin glanced around the library entrance in case something, or someone was within earshot.

“I want to know what language this is.” He waved the part-translation at her. “I found it on a trip to seventeenth century England.”

“Oh goody,” she said, her blue eyes fizzed with excitement, “I like a mystery!”

They walked to the centre of the library and Rhia took Tarquin over to a bank of machinery.

“I remember watching one of Rigsworth’s team place a book in here.” She pointed to a pedestal and a silver coloured machine. Tarquin recognized it immediately.

“It’s another ruddy toaster!” he exclaimed, rather too loudly. The fury humanoid he had seen before, darted out from behind a table and stood bow legged glaring at him. It tapped a paw on the floor and dragged its knuckles rhythmically back and forth across the carpet.

“What?” asked Tarquin, shaken by the sudden appearance of the alien primate.

“It never ceases to amaze me that you humans ever thought that we are somehow related.” It crossed its arms. “Please, a cartload of us are exploring the infinite human theorem and we need to concentrate.”

“Sorry. . .Roger,” whispered Tarquin reading the badge on the primate’s coat.

Roger raised himself to his full height of four feet, pushed out his round chest and looked proudly at Tarquin and Rhia, “We are almost, surely, about to succeed.”

Tarquin giggled nervously, unsure what to do, or say as Roger swung his arms in an arc and waddled off.

Rhia shook her head. “Ignore fur ball. He and his friends have been using time travelling guides as guinea pigs to plonk on Underwoods in his so called ‘lab’ ever since I’ve been here. He pays them a pittance. Last year, he claimed to have re-written Macbeth as a comedy.” Rhia shook her head dismissively, “no one has ever seen it. Come, let’s put the book into the translator.” They walked to the pedestal and Tarquin dropped the book into one side of the toaster and stood back.

Rhia pointed to a screen above the toaster. “The machine will analyze the script and hopefully tell us the language.”

“But,” said Tarquin pointing at the toaster, “it takes at least 48 hours?” Rhia shot him a look of puzzled amusement.
”Only if you want it translated. We’ll find the language first then put it into your Edubed. You can read it yourself tomorrow.”

A few minutes passed and they were still waiting. Rhia looked at the console. “Very strange,” she said, pushing several buttons before thumping the side. “It must be out order.”
Tarquin moved closer and peered inside the empty toast chamber.

“Aaaarghhhooooooh!”

“Tarquin!” screamed Rhia.

A shaft of light, similar to a laser beam had shot out from the side of the toaster and trapped Tarquin in a deathly blue glow.

“Ooooohflayooooh—” The light disappeared. Tarquin shook uncontrollably, just like a child who’s come out of the sea on a cold day at Brighton.

“What the—”

“You’ve been categorized,” said Roger, standing at the head of a group of onlookers as Rhia cradled Tarquin in her arms.

“Waaaz tat?” asked Tarquin.

“Wait here.” Roger turned and dispersed the gathering. Meanwhile, Rhia heard a noise and returned to the toaster. A button was flashing so she pressed it. The machine pinged and the part-translation popped out of a small tray. The screen flickered into life and a short paragraph appeared describing the language.

“Okay,” said Rhia, entering the information in her personal tablet, “let’s find information on the ancient language of the Nerydire. I’ll take a copy and we can both learn the language overnight.” Rhia grinned at Tarquin who had stopped shivering and was looking a lot better.

“Tomorrow we’ll be fluent in Nerydire!”

“No you won’t.” Roger stood menacingly before them, “Nerydire doesn’t exist.”

“But your language discriminator—”

“Shhhh!”

Rhia gave Tarquin a look of surprise.

“But—”

Roger looked terrified. He signalled Rhia to keep quiet. He craned his neck from side to side then beckoned them to follow him. He set off across the floor with a stooping, bow legged gait, his knees and hips bent and his arms swinging haphazardly. They followed him through the library as he careered from left to right, up and down flights of stairs and across walkways until he stopped suddenly at a door close to the top of the library. He craned his neck and listened.

“Okay, we weren’t followed.” With a wave of his hand the door opened and he pulled them inside, slamming it shut. “Never mention the Nerydire outside of this room again!” He wiped the thick ridges above his eyes with a monogrammed handkerchief and then, with the back of his hand he wiped his mouth before pointing at the walls around him.

“This room houses the Nerydean Collection. It is the depository for every book Jules and his team of agents have managed to locate on the history of the Nerydean people.”

“Why the secrecy?” asked Tarquin, looking at the mixture of leather bound volumes and modern reading tablets stacked neatly on the shelves, spiraling out of view above them.

“The Nerydire were the original Time Guardians.” Roger looked furtive, “that was when time guarding was an honourable profession. Sadly, things have changed.”

Rhia looked confused, “but it’s just a library of a lost civilization, what’s its relevance today?”

“That’s the point!” said Roger, clicking his fingers and going toward the other side of the room. “The Nerydire lost great powers when their civilization crumbled. They lost everything. Not just the ability to travel in time, but the ability to manipulate it at will. But, Jules believes the powers can be found again and harnessed. You know yourselves how travelling in time is governed by wormholes. Well, imagine not needing them. Imagine going anywhere, anytime and with anyone.” Roger’s eyes dimmed and his shoulders sagged. ‘We’ve hit an impasse.” He shook his head, “we’ve had people looking everywhere for the Nerydean Book of Journeys.

Tarquin gulped. It was the book he’d given to his great aunt!

“Can we be allowed to learn the language?” asked Tarquin, clenching his fists behind his back, dreading a ‘no’.

“You’re Malcolm’s son.”

“Er. . .yes. How do you know?”

Roger grinned. “The translator has a limiter on it. Only your Father, Jules, me and a handful of others could work it. The light was checking your DNA. It saw a match with your Father.”

“My Father worked in here?”

“Bit of a lad your dad,” said Roger, winking. ”I spent a lot of time in here with him. You’re practically family.” Rhia giggled.

“What?”

“You said we were family,” Rhia’s eyes shone, “I just thought it was funny.” Roger scowled.

“No need to tell Jules about all this,” said Tarquin. ”We are seeing him later. We’ll mention the help you gave us.” Roger nodded and took two small tablets from a drawer.

“Usual Edubed procedure.” He gave them the edu-capsules and moved toward the door. “By tomorrow you’ll be able to read the books in here. Just give me the nod when you want to get in. It’s off limits to most people. I suggest you wait a few minutes then follow me out.” Roger opened the door and looked around before leaving.

“Okay, what’s this all about?” asked Rhia. She crossed her arms and fixed Tarquin a stare worthy of a head teacher. Tarquin offered her the part translation.

Rhia opened the book, “wow, it’s beautiful,” she said, looking at the dozen or so illuminated pages.

“My Father left it for me to find in the seventeenth century.”

Rhia’s eyes grew. “Why?”

Tarquin shrugged his shoulders, “I have no idea, but I think Jeremiah was abducted by aliens looking for the original.” He saw fear in her eyes. “If you don’t want to be involved, I’d understand.”

Rhia laughed, “and let you have all the fun? No chance!”

TBO

TBO, please don't take this in wrong way but I don't really understand your fear. You're a great writer and you've a great story in your hands. As you might remember I said earlier your storytelling skills are comparable to JK Rowlings and I think you are equal. Which makes me want to quit from this business and hide under the duvet thinking "I'm never going to make it." However, as you want, here's a bit that bothered me.

Regardless of his decision, Tarquin would return to 2009 and resume his normal life. If he accepted the offer, Rigsworth would work up a story for his disappearance. If Tarquin decided 2340 wasn’t for him, he would wake with a sore head in a corner of a field, or on a park bench and remember nothing about his time travel adventures. Jeremiah Cavendish would be just another retired lock keeper raising worms and tending his garden.

For the remaining four days in 2340 AD, Rigsworth booked Tarquin into the Tour Guide School with Rhia. As Tarquin left the office, Jules turned to him and tapped his nose.

The first paragraph reads like a pure infodump to me. If you want to change it then you can reword it to make it flow better, but then again, I cannot be sure enough as some of the infodumps are legal and their connect to rest of the story in a way you want to say it. The next para has less of that effect. You could expand that short chapter a bit or just reword it.

ctg,

'The Adventures of Tarquin Jenkins' is the is the first novel length piece I have ever written - unchartered waters and all that, so I really appreciate the likes of you, Peter Graham, Chris Penycate, Boneman, Precision Grace, Leisha, etc pitching in with your thoughts, ideas and corrections. It is an old record I play, but without your help, my writing would not have improved over the years I have been a member on Chron.

I wouldn't call it fear. I just know that listening to you and the others opinions will improve my story.

I will look at the first para again. The section relates to the chapter that precedes it and is sort of a wrap up for the reader before we move on.

TBO

TBO,

This was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it. I think you set up the premise of the story very well. The only concern I have is that the beginning is very rushed and it doesn't mesh well with the rest of the piece.

During the day, Tarquin and Rhia attended Rigsworth’s Time Travel Tour Guide School. At night, while he slept, the Encyclopedic Diviana 25, nicknamed the Edubed, fed him a selection of books. Titles were loaded onto small memory capsules and placed into a slot on the side of the bed, like a memory card into a computer. The information was then downloaded into Tarquin's hippocampus—this was how twenty fourth century humans learnt.

One morning, while taking a short cut through the Rigsworth Library of Lexiconography & Linguistics to meet Rhia, Tarquin suddenly stopped. Engrossed in attending the Guide School, he had forgotten about the part-translation. He slapped his head and groaned. He was standing in a vast repository of ancient and modern languages! A small, furry shaped humanoid wearing a white laboratory coat ran out of a side room and stared at him. It made a sharp, tutting noise and disappeared. Even in the twenty fourth century libraries were places of silent contemplation.

I agree with ctg regarding the beginning 2 paragraphs. I feel as though you might even be able to get rid of them completely (but that depends on their importance during the rest of the story). The next 2 paragraphs also are very infodumpish and could be reworked. For example you could say something like:

As Tarquin and Rhia walked into the building they read the large sign that stated "Rigsworth's Time Travel Tour Guide School". Tarquin had a slight headache from the large amount of data he had absorbed last night from the Edubed and the titles of the books that had been inserted into his memory were now flying around in his brain. He felt appreciative of the 24th century technology though, because it was a much more efficient than the books people used to use to learn.

I know that isn't written very well :D but I'm just trying to show you an example.

Well, it's pretty good. Please let us know when it's published so I can go out and buy a copy.

My dear Bloater,

It's good. In fact, I like it very much. I still think that you try to cram too much in, but, compared to your earlier extracts, you have slowed things down massively.

I think that one problem you still have is showing us too many things at the same time:-

Too many notes, my dear Mozart! Guide School and part-translations are OK as we probably already know what you are talking about, but the sudden lurch to a descriptive sentence about where he is standing is a bridge too far. What's more, you have taken us out of Tarquin's head and the immediate action. You then whisk in the furry librarian and finish with a gag. Too much going on - or, at the very least, things are happening out of order. You also need to stick to your narrative p.o.v.

How about:-

"Tarquin had been so caught up in the goings-on at the Guide School that he had completely forgotten about the part translation. Then one morning, as he took a short cut through the Rigsworth Library of Lexiconography & Linguistics to meet Rhia, it all suddenly came back to him, although whether it was the fact that he was walking through a vast repository of ancient and modern languages or the fact that he had allowed himself just a few seconds to think of something other than Rhia that had finally jogged his memory, he could not say.

He stopped in his tracks and slapped his head as the magnitude of his own stupidity crow-barred its way into his head like an inept burglar trying to break into a walnut. He must have let out some sort of a sound - a groan mixed with a half expletive perhaps - as suddenly a small, furry shaped humanoid wearing a white laboratory coat scuttled out of a side room and stared at him. Tarquin stared back, unsure for a split second as to why Bruce Forsyth's wig was dressed like a Doctor.

The creature made a sharp, tutting noise and disappeared. Even in the twenty fourth century libraries, it seemed that libraries were places of silent contemplation."

Not very good, but you get the idea.

A few other minor points - in the first few paragraphs, you make too many references to the Guide School:-

During the day, Tarquin and Rhia attended Rigsworth’s Time Travel Tour Guide School.

I'd be inclined just to namecheck it once and then stick to "School" or "Guide School" thereafter.

At night, while he slept, the Encyclopedic Diviana 25, nicknamed the Edubed, fed him a selection of books. Titles were loaded onto small memory capsules and placed into a slot on the side of the bed, like a memory card into a computer. The information was then downloaded into Tarquin's hippocampus—this was how twenty fourth century humans learnt.

Two points here. Firstly, this is a really clever image and I am amazed that you have missed the joke potential of giving us a few sample titles of the books he is "reading". Secondly, your last sentence is another jump out of p.o.v. You can say what you say, but say it from Tarquin's perspective.

Rhia looked disappointed, but her face soon changed. She smiled mischievously at Tarquin.

OK - you do a bit of this. Tell us why her mood changes (not just that it does), or make it clear that it hasn't changed and she's covering her disappointment, or drop the mischievous smile.

“That’s okay,” she said, “we’re only missing a lecture on, ‘how to blag your way into a Victorian séance,‘ so we have a couple of hours to look for . . .what exactly are we looking for?”

Punctuation! I'll leave Chris to do the lion's share, but capitalise the lecture name (How to Blag Your Way Into A Victorian Seance) and don't forget your second set of inverted commas.

Tarquin glanced around the library entrance in case something, or someone was within earshot.

Commas again, I'm afraid - "or someone" is a sub clause which isn't needed to make sense of the sentence, so it needs wrapping in commas.

Tense inconsistency - "fizzing".

A shaft of light, similar to a laser beam had shot out from the side of the toaster and trapped Tarquin in a deathly blue glow.

“Ooooohflayooooh—” The light disappeared. Tarquin shook uncontrollably, just like a child who’s come out of the sea on a cold day at Brighton.

“What the—”

“You’ve been categorized,” said Roger, standing at the head of a group of onlookers as Rhia cradled Tarquin in her arms.

Tell us how he feels - it will help with the drama of the piece. We are seeing things and experiencing things for Tarquin's p.o.v - we need to feel them too. Is he in pain? Is he disorientated? Is his head spinning?

Regards,

Peter

TBO, Chris is actually out of town this weekend thats why he hasn't responded. He's in the south of France recording if I remember correctly.

The Bloated One:

You say its not that simple but it is.

If you really, really, want to be an author of published fiction then don't let anything get in your way. Your story is good enough to be a best-seller. The only thing holding you back now is your doubts about yourself.

Throw your doubts out the window and do what it takes to get published.

Just so you know, I've been away from these forums for quite some time (hey life is full of lots of stuff and sometimes leaves no time for fun, months and months and..well, anyway) and yet, I just spent 20 minutes searching for this story (because I couldn't remember Tarquin's name or who wrote it) because I liked it, knew it was good and wanted to see if you had published yet or not. Seeing that now you haven't, I'm wondering why?

Go for it man! What's to lose? A bit of effort? Will someone reject it? Well, since I'm not a publisher or an author, just a reader - I can't say whether you will get the cold shoulder (though my money is on you) but so what? What one person likes, another will hate. That's life. You only have the one life, and it isn't terribly long, why not take what you can from it? If someone tosses little Tarquin into the circular file, you've got another copy off to the next publisher.

And keep the rest of the story off of these forums - because if some publisher out there decides they want to publish, they'll want it exclusively.

So dude, get to it already! We got your back!

Last edited:
Fierce Vowelless One,

*Gulp*

Thanks for finding the time to search for TJ, I hope you liked this excerpt. I sent the first three chapters to one agent in May. Didn't hear anything for six weeks, wrote to them again and was told that the person reviewing my piece was ill. Next day I got a 'thank you' but 'no thanks'. Wasn't meant to be. Like you say, push on, never give up, never surrender!

I have a good beginning and a stonking ending. I am just fiddling about with the middle, hence the latest post about Professor T'hin Kee Moo.

I'll try to curb my enthusiasm posting, but you guys/gals on Chron are too helpful!!

Thanks again,

TBO

The agent who rejected your story is a moron. Find another. If the next agent rejects your story, he's a moron too. Keep trying until you find an agent who isn't a moron.

Not the most useful of advice, assuming agents are morons. Actually, pretty discouraging, since if it turns out that all of them are "morons" there isn't anything you can do about it. If you assume there is something you can improve, something that is missing from your writing that you might be able to figure out, then you have hope.

Is this the beginning of the story? It sounds like we're already supposed to know something.

You shouldn't submit to an agent. You should submit to at least 30.

I think I can see why some agents might reject this. It is a very particular style and not everybody's cup of drink me. I thought some of the references were too obvious (white humanoid fury etc)

The problem I have is that I'm not sure if the contradictions are intentional

Still here goes :- ignore all if I'm wide of the mark

All,

Looking for comments on pacing and whether I should be adding more description of the scenery and people. Open to any thoughts and ideas. I promised Chris an opportunity to get stuck in with his red pen of grammar and punctuation. . .

Regardless of his decision, Tarquin would return to 2009 and resume his normal life. If he accepted the offer, Rigsworth would work up a story for his disappearance. (Why? Where? story in 2009 or 2340. If 2340 then everyone would know he decided to go back no mystery there, if 2009 surely he'd be returned to his bed or where he left from, why in a field) If Tarquin decided 2340 wasn’t for him, he would wake with a sore head in a corner of a field, or on a park bench and remember nothing about his time travel adventures. Jeremiah Cavendish would be just another retired lock keeper raising worms and tending his garden.

For the remaining four days in 2340 AD, (so he's made the decision then, four days to go, and why would he bother if he's going back to 2009 to forget it all) Rigsworth booked Tarquin into the Tour Guide School with Rhia. As Tarquin left the office, Jules turned to him and tapped his nose.

During the day, Tarquin and Rhia attended Rigsworth’s Time Travel Tour Guide School. At night, while he slept, the Encyclopedic Diviana 25, nicknamed the Edubed, fed him a selection of books. (books? 2340 - memory engrams surely) Titles were loaded onto small memory capsules and placed into a slot on the side of the bed, like a memory card into a computer. The information was then downloaded into Tarquin's hippocampus— (this was how twenty fourth century humans learnt. labouring the point and if so why the Tour Guide School)

One morning, while taking a short cut through the Rigsworth Library of Lexiconography & Linguistics to meet Rhia, Tarquin suddenly stopped. Engrossed in attending the Guide School, he had forgotten about the part-translation. He slapped his head and groaned. He was standing in a vast repository of ancient and modern languages! A small, furry shaped humanoid wearing a white laboratory coat ran out of a side room and stared at him. It made a sharp, tutting noise and disappeared. Even in the twenty fourth century libraries were places of silent contemplation. (relevance and it should be shushing)

Tarquin hurried through the vaulted chamber trying to think up an excuse to stay in the library and not go to school. (How about "I'm not going to school today" - come on he's going to make a decision as to whether to return to 2009 soon, surely he can decide he wants to stay in the library or not) He spotted Rhia waiting by the entrance on the other side of the library and ran to meet her. (ran?)

“I need to spend some time looking for something in here,” he said, shaking his head. “I won’t be able to follow you today.”

“That’s okay,” she said, “we’re only missing a lecture on, ‘how to blag your way into a Victorian séance,‘ (needs to be better ans snappier try something like lecture on the victorian thunder box and it's use -original implies a whole day not two hours) so we have a couple of hours to look for . . .what exactly are we looking for?”

“I want to know what language this is.” He waved the part-translation at her. “I found it on a trip to seventeenth century England.” (if it's a part translation surely the languages must be known - did you mean - the rest of this translation?)

They walked to the centre of the library and Rhia took Tarquin over to a bank of machinery.

“I remember watching one of Rigsworth’s team place a book in here.” She pointed to a pedestal and a silver coloured machine. Tarquin recognized it immediately.

“It’s another ruddy toaster!” he exclaimed, rather too loudly. The fury humanoid he had seen before, darted out from behind a table and stood bow legged glaring at him. It tapped a paw (so not humanoid then -chimeran) on the floor and dragged its knuckles rhythmically back and forth across the carpet. (too much like another librarian IMO)

“What?” asked Tarquin, shaken by the sudden appearance of the alien primate.

“It never ceases to amaze me that you humans ever thought that we are somehow related.” It crossed its arms. “Please, a cartload (?) of us are exploring the infinite human theorem and we need to concentrate.”

“Sorry. . .Roger,” whispered Tarquin reading the badge on the primate’s coat. (is this an official, or a member of a cartload of researchers either way why the badge?)

Roger raised himself to his full height of four feet, pushed out his round chest and looked proudly at Tarquin and Rhia, “We are almost, surely, about to succeed.”

Tarquin giggled nervously, unsure what to do, or say as Roger swung his arms in an arc and waddled off.

Rhia shook her head. “Ignore fur ball. He and his friends have been using time travelling guides as guinea pigs to plonk on Underwoods in his so called ‘lab’ ever since I’ve been here. He pays them a pittance. Last year, he claimed to have re-written Macbeth as a comedy.” Rhia shook her head dismissively, “no one has ever seen it. Come, let’s put the book into the translator.” They walked to the pedestal and Tarquin dropped the book into one side of the toaster and stood back.

Rhia pointed to a screen above the toaster. “The machine will analyze the script and hopefully tell us the language.”

“But,” said Tarquin pointing at the toaster, “it takes at least 48 hours?” Rhia shot him a look of puzzled amusement.
”Only if you want it translated. We’ll find the language first then put it into your Edubed. You can read it yourself tomorrow.”

A few minutes passed and they were still waiting. Rhia looked at the console. “Very strange,” she said, pushing several buttons before thumping the side. “It must be out order.”
Tarquin moved closer and peered inside the empty toast chamber.

“Aaaarghhhooooooh!”

“Tarquin!” screamed Rhia.

A shaft of light, similar to a laser beam had shot out from the side of the toaster and trapped Tarquin in a deathly blue glow. (Blue does not imply deathly and shafts of light don't glow they shaft)

“What the—”

“Wait here.” Roger turned and dispersed the gathering. Meanwhile, Rhia heard a noise and returned to the toaster. A button was flashing so she pressed it. The machine pinged and the part-translation popped out of a small tray. The screen flickered into life and a short paragraph appeared describing the language. (surely it wouldn't describe the language - it wasn't a translation - a memo-gram number or reference maybe)

“Okay,” said Rhia, entering the information in her personal tablet, “let’s find information on the ancient language of the Nerydire. I’ll take a copy and we can both learn the language overnight.” Rhia grinned at Tarquin who had stopped shivering and was looking a lot better.

“Tomorrow we’ll be fluent in Nerydire!”

“No you won’t.” Roger stood menacingly before them, “Nerydire doesn’t exist.”

“But your language discriminator—”

“Shhhh!”

Rhia gave Tarquin a look of surprise.

“But—”

Roger looked terrified. He signalled Rhia to keep quiet. He craned his neck from side to side then beckoned them to follow him. He set off across the floor with a stooping, bow legged gait, his knees and hips bent and his arms swinging haphazardly. They followed him through the library as he careered (wobbled, unless he's been on the drinkme bottle in the interim) from left to right, up and down flights of stairs and across walkways until he stopped suddenly at a door close to the top of the library. He craned his neck and listened.

“Okay, we weren’t followed.” With a wave of his hand (paw) the door opened and he pulled them inside, slamming it shut. “Never mention the Nerydire outside of this room again!” He wiped the thick ridges above his eyes with a monogrammed handkerchief and then, with the back of his hand he wiped his mouth before pointing at the walls around him.

“This room houses the Nerydean Collection. It is the depository for every book Jules and his team of agents have managed to locate on the history of the Nerydean people.”

“Why the secrecy?” asked Tarquin, looking at the mixture of leather bound volumes and modern reading tablets stacked neatly on the shelves, spiraling out of view above them.

“The Nerydire were the original Time Guardians.” Roger looked furtive, “that was when time guarding was an honourable profession. Sadly, things have changed.”

Rhia looked confused, “but it’s just a library of a lost civilization, what’s its relevance today?” (er... she's just been told)

“That’s the point!” said Roger, clicking his fingers and going toward the other side of the room. “The Nerydire lost great powers when their civilization crumbled. They lost everything. Not just the ability to travel in time, but the ability to manipulate it at will. But, Jules believes the powers can be found again and harnessed. You know yourselves how travelling in time is governed by wormholes. Well, imagine not needing them. Imagine going anywhere, anytime and with anyone.” Roger’s eyes dimmed and his shoulders sagged. ‘We’ve hit an impasse.” He shook his head, “we’ve had people looking everywhere for the Nerydean Book of Journeys.

Tarquin gulped. It was the book he’d given to his great aunt!

“Can we be allowed to learn the language?” asked Tarquin, clenching his fists behind his back, dreading a ‘no’.

“You’re Malcolm’s son.”

“Er. . .yes. How do you know?”

Roger grinned. “The translator has a limiter on it. Only your Father, Jules, me and a handful of others could work it. The light was checking your DNA. It saw a match with your Father.”

“My Father worked in here?”

“Bit of a lad your dad,” said Roger, winking. ”I spent a lot of time in here with him. You’re practically family.” Rhia giggled.( <- new line Rhia... else it sounds like she is saying it)

“What?”

“You said we were family,” Rhia’s eyes shone, “I just thought it was funny.” Roger scowled.

“No need to tell Jules about all this,” said Tarquin. ”We are seeing him later. We’ll mention the help you gave us.” Roger nodded and took two small tablets from a drawer.

“Usual Edubed procedure.” He gave them the edu-capsules and moved toward the door. “By tomorrow you’ll be able to read the books in here. Just give me the nod when you want to get in. It’s off limits to most people. I suggest you wait a few minutes then follow me out.” Roger opened the door and looked around before leaving.

“Okay, what’s this all about?” asked Rhia. She crossed her arms and fixed Tarquin a stare worthy of a head teacher. Tarquin offered her the part translation.

Rhia opened the book, “wow, it’s beautiful,” she said, looking at the dozen or so illuminated pages.

“My Father left it for me to find in the seventeenth century.”

Rhia’s eyes grew. “Why?”

Tarquin shrugged his shoulders, “I have no idea, but I think Jeremiah was abducted by aliens looking for the original.” He saw fear in her eyes. “If you don’t want to be involved, I’d understand.”

Rhia laughed, “and let you have all the fun? No chance!”

TBO

I may have strayed from the original remit but I hope you'll forgive in any case I hope you fing the comments useful. Obviously I may have the completely wrong end of the stick here. If so sorry.

TEiN

TheEndIsNigh,

Good to see you commenting! I value your opinion and thanks for taking the time to stop and give me food for thought.

A couple of things. . .

This is a short piece from my story and the reader will know all about 2340 and Tarquin's return back to 2009. I should have made this clear at the start. History shows a boy called Tarquin Jenkins dying in a fire at a tea shop in the village of Steeple Snoring in 2009.

why do you assume he left from his bed? Tarquin travels through time on chairs of all designs e.g. bath chairs, dentists chairs, ejector seats armchairs and on one occasion a victorian bath tub. More often than not he leaves from the Silvery Moon, a canal boat. It all depends where the wormhole is that returns him to 2009. This one would land him in a fields close to where he left.

No decision has been made. To catch the return wormhole back to 2009, he has to wait five days. We can't have time travel being easy, where's the dramatic tension in that!

Wrong to assume a book is in the same format as now. We have had computers for twenty years and people are still reading.

Tour Guide School - Even in the year 2340, you can't learn everything from a book.

Nothing wrong with tutting. The ape wants to show his disdain for the humans. It has gone way beyond 'shushing'.

Ah, the ways of love. Not the same thing, trying to decide on leaving 2009 and spending time with an attractive 16 year old you've only just met. Different kettle of fish

Roger is the same librarian and in charge of the primates, hence his badge. I will change 'paw' to hand and make it clearer.

I will change the light paragraph to something more threatening.

I need the machine to only tell them the language. By knowing the language they can find books in the library to learn it.

Careered means - to go at top speed especially in a headlong manner - why do you assume he's been drinking?

And no, it's not a comment on the white rabbit from Alice, if you thought it might be.

TBO

Teresa,

Thanks for commenting on the advice. I think it was a general comment along the lines of, 'only a moron would reject this'. Comforting words, but I don't believe it was meant to imply all agents are moronic.

I will soldier on.

I enjoyed your post on self editing. very helpful. I have a book called 'Self Editing for Fiction Writers' by Brown & King that I must re-read.

TBO

Status
Not open for further replies.