June's here! What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the final third of Dune. Not sure exactly how I feel about it yet, I suppose it depends on how the rest goes. But I think I can see why those who love it, love it.

Talk about damning with faint praise, hehe. That's on my to-read shelf. I've started it 3 times or so but never got much past page 100. It was never bad, I just never felt that interested and ended up drifting away to read something else. I've always leaned more to the fantasy end of things rather than sci-fi, so I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts about it as I try to decide if I should take one more crack at it.

Anyway, just finished Brothers K by David James Duncan. Wow. It was amazing... baseball, religious controversy, Vietnam, the counterculture... it had everything. I loved it.

Now I'm not sure what's next. I was going to whip through either Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' or Charlie Huston's first Joe Pitt novel in order to get something light-hearted in, but Feast for Crows has been pulling my interest suddenly... I swore I'd wait until ADWD though! I've also got the third of Abercrombie's First Law trilogy on hold at the library, so I just don't know what to do next!

I finished Tales of Beedle the Bard. Now I'm reading Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds. I haven't read anything by him before, but he was recommended to me by my brother.

Not his best novel - my vote would go to Chasm City, with The Prefect as runner up - but still enjoyable.

Anyhow, I finally finished Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen. Not as good as the other two Hiaasens I've read recently (Skin Tight, Skinny Dip): the plot was a bit diffuse and while the supposed good guys were clearly identified, I didn't find them all that sympathetic. (To be fair, the bad guys did get all they deserved.)

On a technical note, there was far too much head hopping for my liking.

On the basis that Hiaasen can produced fun reads, I'll probably be reading his Basket Case later this month.

I'm reading Penguin Epics: The Epic of Gilgamesh, at work, although it's very, very small, so will probably have finished it in a couple of lunch breaks.
At home I am reading Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt. Loved his Thomas of Hookton trilogy, and have a large interest in medieval history, so they make a great read.
Need some Sci-fi or Fantasy when they are done though, that's for sure!

I have been reading the wierd westerns short stories The Valley of the Lost,The Man on The Ground,Old Gardfield's Heart by Robert.E Howard in his horror collection.

His western is much stronger prose wise than Conan,other fantasy series. No generic pulp things he feels he must be in like he moves like a panther here and there. Of course there arent any scantly clad sexy girl either in wierd westerns ;)

Just finished The Blade Itselfby Joe Abercrombie...it was fantastic

Going to move on to The Darkness that comes before

I finished my Agatha Christie, great, classic little whodunit on an isolated island. Fun way to spend the afternoon. Now I'm reading 'Already Dead' by Charlie Huston.

I started reading The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole, but found that it tried my patience a bit too far and gave up about halfway through.

So I'm reading The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis, hoping that it will prove a more rewarding experience.

Having finished Moorcock's The Blood Red Game, am moving on now to Carmen and Other Stories, by Prosper Mérimée....

Teresa... I'm not sure that "rewarding" is quite the proper word for that one....

Just finished a reread of A Feast for Crows, about to start a reread of The Lies of Locke Lamorra. Then it's on to rereads for the first two books of Brian Ruckley's Godless World Trilogy and trying to get hold of a copy of its finale for when I've finished. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Going to move on to The Darkness that comes before

Hope you have the next two sitting on the self already - I went through the whole series back-to-back after reading that one (pretty rare for me as I like to hop about a bit between books/styles most of the time).

I finished my Agatha Christie, great, classic little whodunit on an isolated island. Fun way to spend the afternoon. Now I'm reading 'Already Dead' by Charlie Huston.

Must be Ten Little Niggers

Oh, I mean Ten Little Indians

Oh, I mean And Then There Were None

;)

One of the top 15 best-selling books of all-time...3rd in fiction after Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities and Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings

(Odd little language filter on this site...don't you think?)

Last edited:
I started reading The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole, but found that it tried my patience a bit too far and gave up about halfway through.

I'm rereading The Castle of Otranto "at the moment" - but I've been about halfway through for two or three months.

I'm rereading Ben Bova's The Asteroid Wars saga. Unfortunately I'm missing last one in the series. Does anyone know what's happening in it?

Must be Ten Little Niggers

Oh, I mean Ten Little Indians

Oh, I mean And Then There Were None

;)

One of the top 15 best-selling books of all-time...3rd in fiction after Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities and Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings

(Odd little language filter on this site...don't you think?)

Aye, that's the one. Had no idea it ranked that highly on best sellers. Kinda surprising really!

Hope you have the next two sitting on the self already - I went through the whole series back-to-back after reading that one (pretty rare for me as I like to hop about a bit between books/styles most of the time).

Actually I only have the first one...I wanted to try a few new authors so I picked up the debuts of R Scott Bakker, Joe Abercrombie and Brian Ruckley. I am sure that I will be ordering the rest very shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.