Any other Alastair Reynolds fans here?

Oh, definitely. Especially as I'd already gotten it. :) I bought two of his collections new (one at a time - and would have gotten his other if they'd had it) but picked up most of the RS books at once at a library sale on the cheap. Even if I hadn't, I would have gotten the second - but it does need to be better than the first. RS is good enough to try another but two RS's wouldn't be good enough to try a third. But my problems with it (aside from the length issues which is ruining everyone these days) do feel like "first-novel issues", mostly. I find his ideas and "visions" and all interesting.

BTW, do you mean the second he wrote or the second in the series? It's my understanding that Chasm City is in the same universe but somehow isn't part of the main series, which picks up again with the third published novel. I was figuring on just going on with CC.

IIRC, Chasm City written first, but Revelation Space released first. CC is set in the same universe as RS but is set before the events of RS and is a stand alone story (IIRC again, been awhile since I read it, but the final scene from Chasm City is recuiting one of the charecters from RS to her role as a assassin).
Revelation Space's sequel is Redemption Ark.

Okay, thanks - that may well have been confusing unless the "prequel" explained itself properly. So, yeah, that one's next for Reynolds, though I'm not going to get to it right away.

Reynolds's books are mostly "hard" SF if one takes on board how things such as intelligence enhancement might develop over the timescales encountered. There are, though, small examples of not-so-hard SF in the Revelation Space universe, but I shan't go into specifics as they might (to a very small degree) be considered to verge on being spoilers.

His training in astronomy provides a better background for a "hard SF" approach than one might think at first. Lots of physics associated with galactic space, etc. He seems to use it to good effect. Other aspects may not be as convincing, but overall, it seems to be the glue that holds the space opera framework together.

I picked him out of the top 3 sf/f list. Hadn't heard of him before. Discovered that my local library had 6 or 7 of his books. I'm 100 pages into Absolution Gap now. I like the broad billions of years time scale and elements such as lighthugger ships that repair and enhance themselves, Ultra's, Conjoiners, nano machines (medichines), Pattern Juggler's, Inhibitors, etc.

I've enjoyed the Revelation series so far but it does take a while for him to bring all the pieces together in this series so the story begins to make sense. Patience is a virtue! :)

I think he does write a little "drawn out" though and would like to see him learn to be a bit more concise. Sometimes a little less detail would move the story forward better.

I've never had any issue with his writing style. I've alwasy found that whilst he can take a cicuitous route to get to the point, the RS universe is so rich and colourful that i didn't mind at all.

Finished The Prefect. Great read. One of his best. My only gripe was that the ending seemed a little "cinematic". Fits right into the Revelation Space milieu and dovetails nicely with Chasm City in its concept.

I've liked everything he's written so far. Can't say that about many SF authors. I finally got a copy of Zima Blue and House of Suns is on its way to me. So I'm good to go for a while.

I have them both at home, but have yet to read them along with Pushing Ice. Whilst i think that AR is a great writer, i never really rated his non-revelation space stuff. (Oh, i enjoyed Century Rain, but i just don't think it's up there.)

Whilst i think that AR is a great writer, i never really rated his non-revelation space stuff. (Oh, i enjoyed Century Rain, but i just don't think it's up there.)

Agreed. Enjoyable, but overall, I think it's his weakest tale. I'm afraid that's damning with faint praise. But, IIRC, Pushing Ice came out right after that and I thought it was a great read.

Personally, I preferred Century Rain to Pushing Ice. And I agree that the ending of The Prefect was slightly too "cinematic" for my liking; but I still think it's one of his best books. (Chasm City is still my favourite, though.)

I'm in the middle of Zima Blue (the new 2009 edition) at the moment, and thoroughly enjoying it. So far, I've only read Reynolds' short stories and novellas. I've got several of his novels sitting at home, but just not got round to starting them. I think I'll do that once Zima Blue is finished... :)

Personally, I preferred Century Rain to Pushing Ice. And I agree that the ending of The Prefect was slightly too "cinematic" for my liking; but I still think it's one of his best books. (Chasm City is still my favourite, though.)

It's interesting how personal preferences go. And probably accounts for what variety there is in Reynolds' output. Century Rain was something of a detective story in part, while Pushing Ice was more in the space opera mold. Just depends on what appeals to you. I liked them both, but liked Pushing Ice a little better.

Chasm City is one of those I need to read again.

I just finished Absolution Gap. That was quite a hatchet job on the ending! Ugh. He left an awful lot hanging and the ending didn't make much sense.

Did the publisher say this has to we wrapped in 565 papges come hell or high water? Did the publisher trim something themselves? I just felt really let down at the end.

AR should rewrite and expand the ending of AG (like a film director's alternate cut) and submit it to forum's like this.

I really enjoyed Chasm City which i picked up at my bfs as he is a big sci fi reader

I would read more by him

I am part way into Chasm City.

So far, it is clear that this book SHOULD be read prior to reading the Revelation series. It's sort of a prequel to the series.

Are you enjoying it Jojo?

I've found Alastair Reynalds Revelation Space series to be a great read. I think he deserves to be among the named authors, but there needs to be 5 active thread open on the same author before one can be put up.

Are you enjoying it Jojo?

I've found Alastair Reynalds Revelation Space series to be a great read. I think he deserves to be among the named authors, but there needs to be 5 active thread open on the same author before one can be put up.

Yes, it is not a hard read. As I said, Chasm City introduces many things that are carried over into the Revalation books such as Ultra's, lighthugger, Melding Plaque, Yellowstone, etc. Re: Relevation Space, IMO, the ending of the 3rd book is weak and leaves much to be desired.

Organization wise, it would probably be good for more authors to have their own sections.

When's Alastair's next book due out? Anyone know?

His next, Terminal World, is due out next month (i.e. October 2009), apparently.

His next, Terminal World, is due out next month (i.e. October 2009), apparently.
Wouldn't bet on that, Ursa. He mentioned on his blog a couple of weeks ago that he was still doing last minute edits and queries on TW - incuding around 12,000 words of revisions. I'm hoping that "last minute" means it's otherwise ready to hit the shelves, but it does sound like quite a lot of re-work. I'd guess that unless they're getting it to print in double-quick time, it might be at least a couple of months yet.

Of course, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.;)