Another 'who's similar' thread?

Jsun

Hi,

Doing this to bump the subject up. Basically it's 'Amber' -- what else is like Amber? I want to read similar things, equally intelligent and entertaining and humorous and serious together. Who knows of any?

One thing I noted was that 'Amber' kind of goes in a group for me of books whose heroes, in the best sense, are smartasses. They really are smart (although not as smart as they think they are) and world-weary in a this-is-still-fun sort of way. I actually consider the (early) Stainless Steel Rat to be a cousin of Corwin's for one.

Is anyone writing protagonists like that now? I ordered some old stuff other people recommended me -- Offutt or something was one name -- and I'll see what I think. But is there anything else in this ballpark?

I heard of Steven Brust, what do people think of him?

Thanks! JSun

Have you read Dying Earth tales by Jack Vance ? Not read Amber yet but the way people describe them sometimes makes think of JV's work there. The way you describe the characters.

I havent read Brust. Another writer from Zelazny era i find similar is Poul Anderson. Sometimes i confuse their sf works.

Back