The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft

Well, but can you be sure he didn't ? There are people around, who believe the earth is flat ,as the "researcher" discusing his "work" that I've linked you people to awhile back and people saying that the years 614 to 911 never happened and were hoaxes created in the later Middle Ages . Phantom time hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . In a nutshell he "concludes that the entire Carolingian period, including the person of Charlemagne, is a forgery of medieval chroniclers" . Mentioning the Phelps clans claims that every disaster that happens is proof how god hates the world and that only their comunity are chosen to be saved, etc would be just tacking the tip of the Everest .

So with this much stupidity going around claiming to be oh so academic and quite dogmaticaly at that, I am sure there are more then a handfull of people who could earnstly defend such a "theory" and even supply "evidence" .

Yes, though any evidence which would seem to be at all valid would turn out to be faked; all the rest would be quite easily and quickly blown out of the water as soon as they presented it.

The thing is, if you're attempting to use a figure (in this case, HPL), it is the writer's obligation to research that figure until they have at least a fairly good understanding of what they were really like, rather than taking the lazy out of going with any of the numerous myths or urban legends about that person -- which does a disservice to the very person they are supposedly paying homage to.

As I've said numerous times here, that does not mean you can't tell a fictional story using a genuine person -- you just have to do the work to make it plausible with events (if it is a realistic tale, such as an historical romance for instance), or at least with the character of the person you're writing about (as in a fantasy/weird piece, as here). To have HPL involved with the sort of occult activities in the way he is apparently (again, from all the information we have on this) presented here, is as false a presentation of the man as it would be to have a depiction of Aleister Crowley as an ardent supporter of the Anglican Church, or of J. R. R. Tolkien as a devout Satanist. It's shoddy workmanship, from the word go. It's a caricature.

On the other hand, you can have him get caught up in such things, but only if you present his reactions to them as they would most likely have been given the evidence we have on his views and reactions to this and other things (which is actually quite massive). This would in no way keep one from telling a good, exciting, entertaining tale, but it would require them to actually do some work at the writing, rather than taking the easy outs which seem to be the case here -- I mean, from the things given, there isn't an original or fresh idea or handling of anything in the bunch! All I'm seeing in the sample pages are bad comic book rehashes of Howardian rehashes of Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu given a Cthulhuvian spin or two... something which might -- with genius direction and editing -- be mildly entertaining, but in the end is likely to be utterly forgettable, and is at best trite. It is all the things Lovecraft carped about when it came to movies handling such themes, as long ago as the nineteen-teens! And we've seen it all before....

How about actually doing something memorable with Lovecraft for a change, if they're going to be spending all that money on it? Something that both entertains and challenges, something that can appeal to both someone unfamiliar with Lovecraft's work and to those who know it chapter and verse. Such is certainly not impossible, as Out of Mind proved from its continued popularity both as an original television broadcast and the fact that it keeps receiving praise from people both in and out of the Lovecraft camp over ten years down the line. Get someone with the insight and storytelling skill of del Toro (again, as an obvious example) to handle such a subject, and you'd almost be guaranteed of both a commercial and critical success... and you'd not be falsifying the character of Lovecraft, into the bargain....

But they wouldn't recognise the judgment of any authority in the whole world, they would simply say that all these " "proofs" " were faked, and were fabricated on the orders of some ******** world governing Zionistic conspiracy or whatever . You cannot prove to them that anything is wrong, because they will attack not your results, but the very basis of you wanting to prove them wrong as proof of your incredubility . They will then be flatered into believing they are persecuted for spreading "truth" and that they are "martyrs" .

Sorry to get a litle offtopic .

But they wouldn't recognise the judgment of any authority in the whole world, they would simply say that all these " "proofs" " were faked, and were fabricated on the orders of some ******** world governing Zionistic conspiracy or whatever . You cannot prove to them that anything is wrong, because they will attack not your results, but the very basis of you wanting to prove them wrong as proof of your incredubility . They will then be flatered into believing they are persecuted for spreading "truth" and that they are "martyrs" .

Sorry to get a litle offtopic .

LOL... yes, we have drifted more than a bit, haven't we?:D

However, what you say above is, of course, true with anything whatsoever in human knowledge. There are always crackpots who believe anything, and refuse to be bothered with evidence or, for that matter, truth. That's because such a believe provides a "security blanket" of emotional comfort for them, and anything that disturbs or in any way questions that belief -- no matter how daft, nonsensical, illogical, irrational, or completely loony said belief is -- is completely beside the point. The same tactic is taken by faith-healers, fake psychics (if you'll pardon the oxymoron), con artists, and paranoiacs, and is based on either a rejection of at least that aspect of reality or a deliberate obfuscation of the facts of reality to bolster some advantage they wish to maintain over others (as in the first three categories named). This results in a marginalization of these same people, one which (with the exception of those who are paranoid because of a medical condition) they have brought upon themselves. Such deserve no consideration when it comes to dealing with what is objective reality or (for the purposes of this thread) depicting the reality of an historical personage's character. It's a complete non-issue and deserves nothing but the complete silence of being ignored.

Incidentally, this isn't quite as off-topic as you might think, as Lovecraft was also an intense skeptic who would have a field day dissecting such beliefs (and often did in his letters). Such letters varied between amusement (or perhaps bemusement at the idiocies thus displayed might be a better term) to outright vicious vituperation, depending on which approach seemed warranted by the circumstances. In between these was the tactic he most often took: a calm, reasoned examination of the subject, searching out the faults and strengths, and dealing with it accordingly.

This was an immense part of his personality, and it would very much behoove anyone wishing to write Lovecraft into a fantasy or weird tale to keep that in mind when dealing with his contacts, interactions, and reactions to such a phenomena or situation....

So let's just hope we have a Hollywood producer in our midst to take all that in :D .

If so, could you please vent yourself in another direction ? Im a light sleeper, bug China both the PR and the Republic Of) instead .

In case anyone's curious about the comic we talked about at the beginning here, the first issue should now be in stores.

In case anyone's curious about the comic we talked about at the beginning here, the first issue should now be in stores.

Pablo: Thank you for putting up with my lengthy comments above. I hope I'm proven wrong where this film is concerned, but only time will tell on that.

As for the comic... I'm not much inclined at this point, given the description/sample pages (the artwork I don't object to; it's the story that I'm perceiving here that I reject); but if I hear from someone who is a knowledgeable Lovecraftian that it really is worthwhile, I'd be willing to give it a go....

Ron Howard Talks The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft « FirstShowing.net

Howard says, "Look, it's challenging, but if we get it right, it could be really original and psychologically interesting and scary in a great way. And it's a graphic novel, this is new territory for me." Regarding the story elements of Lovecraft, Howard went on to say:
"It very cleverly uses H.P. Lovecraft in a fictional way, but there's some loose biographical elements. But it certainly has the flavor and the tone of Lovecraft. The character is a very young Lovecraft."

I hope he's right, but I can't help but question how much he knows about Lovecraft. His comment "the character is a very young Lovecraft" doesn't give me hope, as anything from his childhood to mid-teens is covered pretty well, and from the age of about 23 on we know an enormous amount about... and nothing in either of those periods is even remotely like what I'm seeing here as far as characterization is concerned. (We won't even get into the ridiculousness of the events depicted.)

That is, essentially, the problem. Lovecraft is one of the most well-documented people to emerge from the literary field; not only do we have thousands of his own letters, we also have volume after volume of essays setting forth his views on various matters, memoirs by friends, acquaintances, correspondents, neighbors, and the like; not to mention various other documents, including the accounts of his wife Sonia, letters dealing with his contact with Weird Tales, correspondence from and between others concerning Lovecraft... all of which makes utilizing HPL an absolute mine-field for any writer not willing to thoroughly research his subject -- a very time-consuming effort, as the above indicates.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong, and I hope it really does capture the spirit of HPL's work, if not of the man himself (though I'd much rather they managed both; it can be done, dammit, it can!!! Hell, it's been done already!)... but the more I hear, the more dubious about this one I become....

I'm giddy with anticipation.....

I mean after what he did to...err I mean with the Grinch.... After all Hollywood probably thinks of the grinch and Lovecraft as about the same...I've seen some of the "so called" Lovecraftian movies.

I don't plan to see it....unless of course I've just returned from the Mountains of Maddness...then who knows????

It's a fictionalized Lovecraft. If it's done right as a film, that is if it works in the context of the film, I think it could be a good movie. If anything, such exposure of HPL can't hurt. The average cineplex-goer knows Ron Howard but ask them to name even a single story by Lovecraft. Or even who it is. Blank. So the film could do some good, if it itself is good.

Granted, it's a "fictionalized" Lovecraft insofar as the story is concerned, but one of their selling points, as I recall, was (and still is) that they are actually trying to capture the personality of Lovecraft himself as a character, rather than simply using an "alternate version" of HPL. That, by the way, has been done before, and with varying success. That in Cast a Deadly Spell had only a tangential relationship to the real Lovecraft (a bizarre sort of distant reflection of some of his opinions, his sometimes priggish attitude toward certain things, and his determination to be very much his own person rather than following the herd), but it is a wonderful character, nonetheless. That in H. P. Lovecraft's The Necronomicon was simply dreadful. That in the graphic novel Lovecraft varies between reasonably accurate and completely off, and is at those times a terribly simplistic and distorted version of the man. And it seems to be something much closer to these last two rather than the first (or the very accurate presentation of him in Out of Mind) which we are dealing with here.

As for the average person not being able to name a single story, etc.... I'm not so sure moviegoers are that ignorant of HPL any longer. There has been a plethora of films from studios and from independents in the theaters, straight-to-video (or DVD), and on the web, in recent years; numerous editions of his works are in print at present, usually going through several printings; references to him are made in films by people such as John Carpenter and Guillermo Del Toro (among others); several of the films based on his works which have been long unavailable are now once more being re-released on DVD; and there are copious numbers of videos, documentaries, and readings/adaptations of his works about him showing up on the internet, plus there is a new documentary coming out on DVD which has already garnered more than a little attention in a quite limited run in selected theaters. This doesn't even get into the number of comic books and graphic novel adaptations currently going on, or the ever-proliferating game scenarios based on his work. They may not have read Lovecraft, but most people who go to movies (or rent them) in any number are at least aware of him, and I doubt this film is likely to do any more than that.

So I'm afraid my reservations still stand. I wouldn't have an objection if they went for a completely "alternate reality" version of Lovecraft -- that would be legitimate, I suppose, though I might not like what they did with it. But... once they start claiming they know anything about the man, and have brought that to the work, and their statements indicate all they "know" are the same old hackneyed myths and legends which have been promulgated about him since shortly after his death in 1937... then I can't help but feel my gorge becoming buoyant. Again, I feel very strongly it is simply a case of a comics (and screen) writer simply not doing the workmanlike job of actually researching his subject, and that is something I find offensive with any writing which deals with an historical figure or situation. In Lovecraft's case it is simply more galling because of the incredibly easy availability of accurate information out there about him, a good deal of which could well furnish tons of ideas for imaginative, eerie, or even adventurous stories for anyone willing to put in the effort to be a teensy bit original, rather than going with the same tired old schtick.

As a comic book writer of a Lovecraft book myself, I can't fault a writer
for wanting to use H.P. as a character himself! As far as the movie deal, I hope it opens the doors for other work.

Back