Telling your readers everything...

Jimmy Magnusson

This is an advice I've seen come up from time to time; don't hide information your readers logically should have learned. And now I think I'm doing something like that in my story, where the main supporting character will be revealed to be a leftover from an old cyborg programme from a few years back. Problem is, some parts of the story are told from his POV, and I've so far hidden his background, while he of course is fully aware of it. We get hints from his behaviour, but will the reader be cross with me for hiding his background from them? Should I ditch his POV chapters until after the reveal has been made?

Just don't info dump everything in one go, do it gradually. So if your character has certain things that need to come out for readers to understand the story behind then show them when you use them, not before. If you need to narrate, then do it subtly rather then blast them out and always remember the lesson behind the squid in the mantle piece.

If you tell your readers everything they are going to go away, unless you are writing for little children. Give your readers clues, don't just tell them things. Keep the mystery, keep 'em coming back and wondering.

You're mixing things up, I think. It's fine to have a reveal somewhere in the story (or else we'd never have the thriller genre!) but you need to be both consistent and timely in doing so. The point you bring up is to do with the first part of that - if your character does un-cyborg-like things or something that would have revealed him as a cyborg earlier, your reader is going to feel cheated because you've deliberately evaded revealing him in situations where it would happen, or made him act out of character.

The timely part is about how you handle the reveal - it has to be handled well or else it has no dramatic impact, and in the worst cases, the reader feels cheated because you've been either holding back, or it's been blurted out too early and everything that follows is simply pedestrian.

Imagine, if you will, a cliffhanger at the end of an adventure serial: the hero is in a pinch! Oh no! The acid is burning through the rope holding a twenty ton weight above him! He gets one hand free of his bindings! The acid is almost through! He tears furiously at the other hand! The rope breaks! The weight falls! We cut to black!!!

The audience show up the next week, clutching their popcorn, desperate to find out what happened to our hero! They see...a two hour retrospective on the history of flower-pressing.

The News that night reads "Angry Mob Burns Cinema To Ground"

The point is that, eventually, you *are* telling your readers everything. A cautious and consistent control over how you tell them is, in essence, storytelling.

It depends on the quality of the 'hints'. A hint should assume that your reader is intelligent and willing to put in the work and apply a bit of logic. If they don't then it's not your fault.