NOT recommended reading!

Ouch :eek: , there are quite some names in that list that some people here think of as brilliant writers. But that's okay. It's your personal opinion and you've got a right to that.

There are even some in there I like very much. Good thing I don't get excited easily.:p

:fades into curious lurker mode:

With such a long list, Rune, may I ask which writers you do like? Just asking because your list has authors that differ greatly in their types of stories and their writing styles and I was wondering what type of stories and/or writing style you look for.

dwndrgn said:
With such a long list, Rune, may I ask which writers you do like? Just asking because your list has authors that differ greatly in their types of stories and their writing styles and I was wondering what type of stories and/or writing style you look for.
No problem, I have plenty of authors that I do like and always on the look out for more to discover :)

These are all my favourite authors and there are still a few more I would read if I had nothing else to hand of these authors that I find reasonably interesting :D -

Alan Dean Foster

Anne Bishop

China Mieville

Chris Wooding

Christopher Golden

Deborah Chester

Elizabeth Haydon

Emma Bull

Holly Black

Ian Irvine

J.K Rowling

James Clemens

Jan Siegel

Jessica Rydill

Jim Butcher

Jonathan Stroud

Katherine Kerr

Laurell K Hamilton

Mark Anthony

R.A Salvador

Raymond Feist

Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm

Sarah Ash

Sarah Zettel

Tad Williams

Tanya Huff

Terry Brooks

Terry Goodkind

Terry Pratchett

Tolkien

Rune, Rune, Rune....

Terry Pratchett and Terry Brooks?? Discworld and Shannara.

Some opinions are truly not worth sharing.

Lacedaemonian said:
Rune, Rune, Rune....

I dont actually like all of Terry Pratchett's books, some can be pretty lame to be honest. But Brooks I think has written some entertaining books :)

Lacedaemonian said:
Rune, Rune, Rune....

Like yours.

Lacedaemonian said:
The Cenedra and Garrion sex scenes in the Belgariad by David Eddings . . . He also comments on the lack of sex in the Tolkien books, which I do not believe required any, although I am sure there was an incestuous fumble in the Silmarillion.

There is no need for an explicit sex scene in the Belgariad, and nor is there one. His comments were not regarding sex in Tolkien's work- his comments were regarding the differentiation of them as characters.

polymorphikos said:
You put Feist in both lists. Interesting...
Yep I know, there is reason in my madness, honest :) The first series I read by Fiests was the Magician series and I loved it.
After that I just have really disliked all his other books, and I have tried :confused: For me it's like he gave his best in the earlier series and had nothing left later :(

Lacedaemonian said:
Rune, Rune, Rune....

Actually, all opinions are truly worth sharing. Whether you agree with those opinions or not is your opinion and we welcome your opinion on that too :D.

rune said:
Yep I know, there is reason in my madness, honest :) The first series I read by Fiests was the Magician series and I loved it.
After that I just have really disliked all his other books, and I have tried :confused: For me it's like he gave his best in the earlier series and had nothing left later :(
Ah, then you should have put the Krondor series and the rest in the first post and the Magician series in the second post. If you like one book by the author it is contradictory to say that all their books are 'not recommended reading' because then the rest of us silly members take you at your word and assume that all the books by that author are crap, in your opinion.
Have you read Daughter of the Empire? I found that series to be some of his best work (though, I also like the Magician series better than the others too) and it could be because of the collaboration with Janny Wurts.

rune said:
I found the Magician series alright, but the Serpentwar saga far more interesting. The Magician series just seemed kind of boring to myself.

dwndrgn said:
Ah, then you should have put the Krondor series and the rest in the first post and the Magician series in the second post. If you like one book by the author it is contradictory to say that all their books are 'not recommended reading' because then the rest of us silly members take you at your word and assume that all the books by that author are crap, in your opinion.
Have you read Daughter of the Empire? I found that series to be some of his best work (though, I also like the Magician series better than the others too) and it could be because of the collaboration with Janny Wurts.
But for mean most of the stuff he has written since the Magician series wasnt worth reading :) I am trying to save people from making the same mistake as me by buying all the books after that series thinking things can only get better.

I'd like to add another author to this thread of not recommended reading :(

Peter Morwood - Prince Ivan

I've read this book and really couldnt get pulled into it at all :(

Oh just remembered another - Matthew Hughes - Fools Errant. I felt this story was very similiar to Piers Anthonys A Spell for Chameleon. So if you like that book you may disagree with me and really enjoy Fools Errant. But I personally found the storyline pointless. There was no real meaning for the characters who stumbled from one problem to the next all the way through the story :eek:

don't worry dd, i love pratchets disc world intensly. but i suppose one mans paradise is anothers hell.
as to things i truly don't recomend. there are lots, but with my memory, i can never think of the titles :(

PaenDragaan said:
ok, this isn't a novel, it's an Author. Never, ever, ever! read Margret Atwood. I hate everything she's ever written, yet was forced to read it in highschool english. :theatrical shudder: I most vehemently advise you to never read her if not physically forced to!
I disagree. "The Handmaid's Tale" was a great story about the extremes to which society will go for self preservation, even if it means imprisoning fertile women and turning them into breeding factories. I just finished "Oryx and Crake" and it was fascinting - what would ordinary people do if given God-like powers and one of them is an earthie fundamentalist whacko? I also enjoyed "The Robber Bride" which is a nice example of just how wicked women can be as well as the strength of women joined for a common purpose.

Her writing is very feminist, and very literate (as in slow-moving and thoughtful) so I don't doubt that it turns some people off. But she's worth a try! Just like Joyce Carol Oates, who rocks!

Lucifer.

clareabella said:
ok, not book related, but star wars 1,2 and most probably 3 are sucking big time. the story lines are crap, although i suppose it's the special effects making everything melodramatic.

but the jedi power been explained by bloodcells??????? anakin being a moany little ****??????
it's all so predictable, even though we know what's going to happen, still. it's still a pile of storyless pap.
Word! I thought I was the only one who despised 1 and 2. C3PO is virtually unwatchable this time around, and Anakin needs a spanking, big time. Amidala has no personality and no spark, just a progressively trashy wardrobe. The CGI looks plastic, the one-liners make the whole thing into a farce, and the plotlines were written by inept adults who use "it's cool looking" as character motivation.

So frustrating! I like the first three movies, and these are just humiliating a whole gang of people whohave spent a lot of time defending the trilogy from naysayers.

Let's spank George Lucas while we're at it. He should know better.

Lucifer.

Oooooh, let me see . . . toes to step on, toes to step on . . .

Anne Rice: crap! She has allowed characters to whine for book after book without doing anything whatsoever. She obviously has an agenda against females, because she kills the strong ones (Claudia, Akasha) and kills the weak ones (Madeleine.) She seems to think that her homoerotica is somehow avant garde, when it is not. She talks about Lestat as though he is a real person, whcih he is not. And even is he was, he is an annoying little poof who certainly has better things to do than romance Anne Rice - like starting rock bands and making scenes. Rock bands, I might add, that include musicains with names like "Tough Cookie." How can you pitch something like "The Vampire Lestat"? A powerful and ancient vampire is awakened by Goth music and decides to become a rock star revealing vampire secrets in his lyrics. Okay, my charisma roll vs. your appearance roll reveals . . . whoo! Bring on the pointy-dice plots, please!

On that note, Terry Goodkind: crap! One of the funniest things I ever saw written on Amazon.com was the following sentence, "If Terry was both good and kind, he would stop writing immediately." I have no respect for an author who writes an overly capable tall muscular male character who never shuts up about his views, is always right, and, despite being the most irritating character ever, is still wanted by every female down the line. If plotting fails, throw in some sex! That will fix everything, especially if it's kinky. Red leather domintrix sluts with hearts of gold? Check. Super hottie way powerful dumb as a brick wife? Check. Every other female described as groin-clenchingly beautiful? Check. Also, Terry Goodkind is a homphobic wank job: not only is one of the evil characters gay, but he is also a pedophile and a rapist. Charming! The only effeminate male character is also the bad guy, Panis Rahl. Of, just call him Penis to confirm your hatred of all forms of competition and get over it, Goodkind! Luckily, with the reviews the most recent book is getting, Goodkind is about to get served. Just like . . .

Robert Jordan: crap! If you thought Anakin Skywalker could whine, wait until you meet Rand. He manages to whine for approximately 600 pages per book, and no one has killed him yet. It's amazing. It's death-defying. Also, female characters are all scheming, plotting, bitchy, and prone to sniffing and braid tugging. I don't know how Jordan manages to write collasal books o' nothing, but he does. He claims that he knows how the series ends: well end it already! Have some courage! Slay the beast and move on to something else! Aargh!

Anne Bishop: crap! Anne Bishop is a sneaky one. Basically she sells you on a society composed of strong, powerful female characters who have twisted men into willingly submissive little things, placed them in snazzy collars, and taken over the world. Now, let me see. If the female character is evil, then she is also a slut who likes to torture men, castrate men, and kill men. If she is good, then she is either an innocent virgin, recently raped and stripped of her power, or faithful to one man. One enslaved man. One enslaved man over whom she has a big pile o' power. Riiiiiiiight. And the best thing is that despite these liberated hard-core sex-lovin' witches, the old gender stereotypes dance and sing with aplomb. Or, let me clarify, gender stereotypes from a bad romance novel. Men fuss at women (who, let me remind you, are their owners) about the joys of cuddling and their need to feel manly and take care of women. Women are pouty, bitchy, and scheme-y, with lots of hair flinging and flouncing around, but no real ability to do anything without their man-slaves help. Where was the idea of empowerment here? Finally, remember those snazzy collars I mentioned? They aren't around the neck, no sir. They are super snazzy penis rings. Whoo!

Finally, Sephera Giron: CRAP! I can't say anything about her that will get across the sheer mind-numbing badness of her writing. She refuses to use contractions, yet she is an English major. It makes her chracters sound stilted and unbelievable. She actually, in all seriousness, uses the phrase "hot monkey love" when one of her characters is sad over her missing husband. She uses a urine-drinking cult as a sub plot that goes absolutely nowhere. Grammatical errors abound. She's a horror writer, but if anyone has a sliver of doubt about their own ability, please read "Borrowed Flesh" or "House of Pain." I promise that you will feel a thousand times better.

End rant. That felt really good.

Lucifer.

Lucifer said:
Anne Rice: crap! She has allowed characters to whine for book after book without doing anything whatsoever. She obviously has an agenda against females, because she kills the strong ones (Claudia, Akasha) and kills the weak ones (Madeleine.) She seems to think that her homoerotica is somehow avant garde, when it is not. She talks about Lestat as though he is a real person, whcih he is not. And even is he was, he is an annoying little poof who certainly has better things to do than romance Anne Rice - like starting rock bands and making scenes. Rock bands, I might add, that include musicains with names like "Tough Cookie." How can you pitch something like "The Vampire Lestat"? A powerful and ancient vampire is awakened by Goth music and decides to become a rock star revealing vampire secrets in his lyrics. Okay, my charisma roll vs. your appearance roll reveals . . . whoo! Bring on the pointy-dice plots, please!
*L* I completely agree. I can't think of many authors of this genre that drive me up the proverbial wall as much her.

I haven't actually read any of those, but I'll make sure I avoid them now.

Authors I dislike include Eddings and Anne Maccaffrey, although I am aware that some people like them so I won't say much, only that I find the writing style of the latter dull and the plots and ideas of the former unoriginal.

I'm still recovering from Crime and Punishment- it was an interesting book but it upset me somewhat.

Lucifer said:
I thought I was the only one who despised 1 and 2
You did?

With all due respect, I would have to question how much you get out of the house. Episodes I and II are two of the most savaged films in recent memory, torn to pieces time and again almost everywhere you go. Certainly it’s no secret on the Internet that people think they’re crap. The slavishly devoted loved them (or claim to), sure, but there have been few films in the last few years that have been ripped apart as badly as the prequels.
RagnarokNRoll said:
ANYTHING by george lucas
It’s pretty common knowledge that George Lucas did not write the Star Wars novelization. Alan Dean Foster did.
Star Wars really isn't that good. No one believes me, because they're parents watched it
Maybe, just maybe, people who enjoyed Star Wars were old enough to see it when it came out and formed their own opinions.

A crazy idea, I know. But toss it around for a little while.
books and movies by a guy who isn't that good an author or director
He’s not an author.
Lacedaemonian said:
He also comments on the lack of sex in the Tolkien books, which I do not believe required any, although I am sure there was an incestuous fumble in the Silmarillion.
This is in the Riven Codex, no? Where Eddings refers to The Lord of the Rings as “that old turkey.”