Fringe

It's still up in the air whether Fringe will be renewed, because at this point, the only viewers are the hardcore fans - despite the writer's best efforts, they've not been able to tempt new viewers to watch the latest series. Because of this, another series will most likely be it's last, simply to allow the writers to put together a proper ending to satisfy the fans (it would also give Fringe a total run of just over 100 episodes, which always looks good).

There have been quite a few efforts from Warner Bros. to make Fringe more appealing to Fox, including lowering the licensing fee Fox pay them to show the episodes, which ups it's chances of being renewed. It's also helped in part by the terrible reception Alcatraz got (which is a shame, because that's also a good series) - as a result, it's highly unlikely that Alcatraz will be renewed, meaning there's space in Fox's schedule for Fringe.

So, it's likely that there will be a fifth and final series, but just in case, two endings to this series have been filmed - one with a lead in to series five, and one that ends everything nicely.

---

Regarding Leonard Nimoy, I seem to remember reading that he was only contracted to physically appear in four or five episodes. Obviously, his character has technically appeared in a great number more, but he himself will not be returning. However, I wouldn't say the character is completely gone (indeed, Nimoy's likeness was in the amber, probably through some CGI trickery), particularly not with everything we've seen in Fringe regarding alternate realities, shapeshifting, body-snatching, and time-travelling.

If William Bell turns out to be Mr. X, then it will probably be a different version of William Bell to the one we know as Leonard Nimoy. He may appear to be in a new body (we're told a few times that William Bell died in a car crash in the red Universe... but what if it was simply his body that died?), or a much younger form of himself may appear. Heck, what's to stop a cloned version of an earlier form of William Bell rearing it's head? After all, the cartoon representation of Mr. X in the LSD episode did not resemble the present version of William Bell.

Obviously, it may turn out that William Bell is not Mr. X, and that the man himself is someone completely different.

Assuming the future in which the Observers invade is the future for the current timeline (indeed, as beings that aren't constrained by time or reality, it could be that the Observers invaded every single possible timeline in 2015), then we know that William Bell does something to Olivia that means she wasn't ambered along with the rest of the team in 2015 (Walter's exact quote when talking to Astrid is: "You remember what he did to Olivia. Even you can't be that compassionate", implying something truly terrible). It's more likely that William Bell is the main antagonist if there is a fifth series, with Mr. X working for him, than Bell being Mr. X, but either way, I think William Bell will be featured quite heavily in the next storyline.

---

If this does end up being the final series, and the finale to end it all is aired, then I wouldn't put it past David Robert Jones to be Mr. X. With enough plausible explanation, it could work, and it would tie up a thread nicely.

I really don't understand why this show has such a niche audience, it's a brilliant show. Way better than many other shows out there that somehow manage to get renewed...

I'm sure they will finish the story, they better...

The problem seems to be that people just don't have the time to commit themselves to a show that has a strong story from episode to episode - unlike a reality show, it's not really possible to dip into Fringe every now and then.

I think it's a victim of it's own success - a strong first couple of series allowed the writers to weave an incredible story, with fantastic character development. Long-term fans enjoy and stick to it, but casual fans will start to drop off because they don't have the time to follow everything. Miss a couple of episodes, and you'll be lost.

Yeah, I heard the same complaint made about Lost. So many people didn't watch it because they had no idea what was going on as they didn't watch the episodes chronologically, just here and there when they had time.

My thought on the matter is why not? I'd never watch a show without seeing every episode in the order they were released. If I miss an episode, the TV networks have websites these days for catching up on missed episodes, so there isn't really the excuse that 'I missed it' anymore.

I hate episodic shows, it HAS to have a serialised plot that goes from episode to episode for it to be entertaining for me, or at least make a reference to the main plot every episode.

That's why I got bored of The Mentalist, it had a great premise, but every episode ended up being a rehash of the same old thing in the end, with very little given towards the development of the antagonist's story.

Fringe has been renewed!!

As expected, the renewal is for a final series of thirteen episodes, which will air this Autumn.

There's also a teaser trailer, which ends with a familiar, gritty Fringe logo, so I think we can guess where the story is going to go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvWqOZL8JXA

(Doesn't want to embed, for some reason)

Great news. Amazing to see so many old scenes, and realise just how far the show has come.

Fixed embedding

I'm incredibly glad that they're giving it a final send-off season. If only that happened more often for those shows ambitious enough to have an actual storyline.

Thanks!

And it's doubly the case when the network was at least partially to blame with the schedule change (although they did put an awesome promo on the switch)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that is an awesome promo, but it didn't work. The slot did hurt the show, but that could also be half the reason they continued making it when any other show would have been cancelled. As we can see by this ad, Fox knew they were going to damage its ratings when they made the move.

So we have to commend Fox for letting them finish the story.

SPOILERS

Leonard Nimoy! :D Didn't think they'd actually get him back, so happy.

And Astrid! She was kicking butt but then... then... Happy to see she actually can fight though.

So, they are clearly showing how episode 19 comes to be, which is good. So I suspect I'm on track with my assumption, that we will see how they came to be encased in amber in the season finale, and maybe the arrival of the observers. And I guess Leonard Nimoy really is who kills Olivia, Mr X? Or it could be the first observer that does maybe. Perhaps William Bell helps the observers. All we know is he has something to do with what happens to Olivia.

Well, we know that Astrid is ambered at some point, so she has to survive (unless they've gone and changed the future)!

As for Nimoy... I guess I was wrong. :p It's nice to see him back, and from what I've read, the showrunners are trying to get him to return to his role for series five. With it being the final series, with no chance of the role becoming something permanent for many years, he may well take it, which would be nice.

Whilst I expect this series to peter out somewhat (compared to the previous few finales, which went out with a bang... and, I suppose, Peter'd out ;)), I'm very much looking forward to what can be done next series, particularly with the Mr. X story line.

I'd ask which universe Bell went into as Nimoy promised that we'll see more of him in the final season. I truly hope we'll going to see how the Observer ruled universe storyline ends or at least how they end in amber and what happens to Olivia.

So, the question is: Henry or Henrietta?

Henrietta of course. Alt-Olivia would give birth to a male, but the real Olivia would give birth to a female, that's the difference.

I think as the season finale of this season, we are going to end with something happening to Olivia, not necessarily her getting killed, and them getting encased in amber.

Then the first episode of next season will start after where they left us in episode 19, and it will be 13 episodes of reversing the damage the Observers have done - writing them out of history.

A handless William Bell as the villain, interesting. The question is, why is he working against them, and not trying to help stop the Observers? Bell has his own agenda for some reason.

That's my theory.

SPOILERS

Very interesting season finale, but there is something missing, how does Bell end up in amber with them? He went back to the other reality. If what CTG says is the case, and we will see more of Bell, then I guess they will answer that question in the first episode, or it might just be a handless Bell running around. I wouldn't be surprised if the first episode carries on from where episode 19 left us.

Now, Henrietta thinks Olivia is dead, but as they have brought her back to life, I wonder if she really is dead in the future, or if Henrietta is misinformed.

We saw in episode 19 that Henrietta carries the bullet that killed Olivia, but is that going to change, or does she get shot again...? Can't wait for the next season.

I can see how they could've made that the final episode ever, just cut off the end with September and leave it with the hospital, done.

Spoilers

The biggest reason for excitement about Fringe season five is last season's "Letters of Transit," where we visited the dystopian future of 2036, a world ruled by evil and surprisingly lustful Observers. We sort of knew that season five was going to be visiting that future again, but we weren't sure if it would just be for an episode or two, here and there.

But John Noble told reporters that the final season will pretty much all take place in 2036 — with the occasional flashback or bit of "found footage" to fill in the tragic events of the present day. That doesn't mean Anna Torv is gone from the show — even though there were hints in "Letters of Transit" that a terrible fate had befallen her, she'll still make it to 2036 somehow, so there can be a "mother and daughter" reunion with the grown-up Etta (Georgina Haig).

As for Walter himself, Noble said he's not done paying for his hubris in breaking the multiverse back in 1985: "Walter is the man who started this, so there has to be resolution. There has to be redemption. We also have to see the final maturing of the relationship between Peter and Olivia."

http://io9.com/5919744/time-to-get-excited-about-fringe-season-5

I watched the first four or five episodes or so, but I just couldn't get hooked. I think the reason I didn't like it as much as x-files was because it was slightly too goofy. I liked the darkness of x-files. It seemed dangerous. Fringe just seems... silly. Maybe if I watched more I'd get hooked, but it hasn't happened at this point for me.

You need to watch a lot more, the show doesn't come into its prime until season 2. The first season has some good episodes but the story isn't developed yet.

Alright, I'll watch the rest of season one and half of season two. If I don't get hooked, I'm coming after you WP =P