Foreigner by C J Cherryh

Anthony G Williams

Greybeard
A lost colony ship, a desperate landfall on an unknown planet, and an intelligent native humanoid race with very different mental processes. These are the key elements of Cherryh's 1994 novel, the start of a series running to nine volumes so far (with more to come). I read a lot of Cherryh's books in the 1970s and liked them enough to keep them to re-read sometime, but I have neglected her work since then so I turned to Foreigner with interest.

The scene is set in couple of introductory chapters centuries apart; the initial catastrophic journey which caused the starship to become lost, and the first contact after planetfall between the human settlers and the natives (the atevi). The rest of the story is set six generations later, after a human-atevi war which had led to an accommodation being reached; the humans were allowed sole occupancy of a large island in return for gradually introducing their advanced technology to the atevi. Only one human was allowed off the island, the paidhi, who lived with the atevi in order to monitor and understand them while relaying technical knowledge as they were ready for it. The story focuses on one paidhi, Bren Cameron, at a time of crisis between the races.

The atevi are bigger, stronger and faster than humans, and had already reached the steam age at the time of the landing. Now they have aircraft and computer networks. Their similarity to humans had led to dangerous misunderstandings in the past, because their thought processes are decidedly different. They have no concept of friendship; they are bound to leaders or associations by a loyalty code which determines their actions. They have no word for trust, but fourteen for betrayal, and their standard way of resolving disputes is by an officially-sanctioned assassination system. It is a minefield for a human to work in, and the paidhi has to be very good to succeed.

Bren Cameron thought he had established a good relationship with the atevi leader but finds himself apparently betrayed, the target of rival associations who are opposed to the human presence. He needs all of his diplomatic abilities to survive as the situation rapidly slides out of control.

Cherryh is good at portraying the alienness of other races. The atevi are more than funny-looking humans, although perhaps not a lot more different from ourselves than were, say, medieval Japanese. As a result, Bren Cameron struggles to understand the nature of the relationship he has with the two atevi bodyguards on whom he has to rely. The author's story-telling skills drew me in and held my attention throughout. She is rather indulgent in allowing her hero long periods of introspection, with pages at a time filled with nothing but his thoughts, but despite this I found Foreigner absorbing and was sorry when it finished – a rare feeling for me these days. Whether I want to invest the time to plough through another eight volumes (and counting) I'm not so sure, but I might well try the next one and see how it goes.
--------------------------------------
I notice that a couple more reviews of my alternate World War 2 novel The Foresight War have appeared on Amazon: one each on the UK and USA sites. I was wryly amused to see that one reviewer awarded it 1/5 and the other 5/5. Some contrasting excerpts:

"Good idea, but characters are one dimensional, too much detail on weapons sizes/capability etc. not enough tension created."

"What I liked about this was it didn't get too focused on personalities, love interests, or that sort of thing. Also, it was almost non-stop action. If you like Tom Clancy's novels - the ones where the Russians invade the West, for example - you'd love this. It's really 'techy'."

Which just demonstrates, yet again, that book reviews are decidedly personal, and can say as much about the reviewer as they do about the story.

I have rewritten my introduction to the book as well as updating the list of reviews (good and bad) here: The Foresight War Reviews where you can also read the first two chapters on-line.

(An extract from my SFF blog)

Gollum,

You have a treat in store. I've read and enjoyed a lot of CJ Cherryh's stuff. It ranges from very good to just about the best there is. But you had better like your SF meaty, because you have to work your way through her material. I've read all the "Foreigner" series I could get my hands on, and would gladly read another when and if (she's not getting any younger) it comes out.

Parson: I agree whoeheartedly with you. I have read lots of C J Cherryh and never been disappointed.

She does have several series going of course, and some are a bit better than others. My personal favorites are the Chanur Saga and Downbelow Station, for which she won a Hugo.

Any Crhons members reading this--if you have never read C J Cherryh you are missing some GREAT sf!

I haven't read any Cherryh in years, but have read around 40 of her titles in total and agree with much of what's been said already. At her best, Cherryh is fantastic. The Chanur books are my absolute favourites, though the final one, Chanur's Legacy (1992), which was written some years after the others, is not as strong as its predecessors.

I've only read the first two Foreigner books as yet (though I have the first seven in the collection) and enjoyed them both -- the atevi are superbly depicted both as a race and as individuals.

Anyone who hasn't read her certainly should (personally I'd avoid Port Eternity, Merchanter's Luck, and the Rusalka books, though maybe that's just me :eek:).

Anyone who hasn't read her certainly should (personally I'd avoid Port Eternity, Merchanter's Luck, and the Rusalka books, though maybe that's just me :eek:).

Sorry to slide a little off-topic, but that last bit struck me. The only fantasy of hers I've read is the Ealdwood duo and, depending on how you count it, the Morgaine saga and, of the SF, I quit reading the Foreigner series after the first trilogy when she added the third (and fourth!) because I just didn't feel like messing with another giant series, though they were fine books. And I never started Angel with a Sword and its derivatives or the Gene Wars stuff. So that still leaves over 30 Cherryh titles on my shelves and, while they vary in quality, of course, the only one I'd recommend avoiding is Hestia - interestingly, that's the only pre-88 DAW SF novel that's not been re-released in an omnibus (other than Downbelow Station because that's a Hugo winner that probably sells too well on its own to be stuck in an omnibus) so apparently she and/or DAW agree with me.

As far as Port Eternity, I liked it fairly well - probably better than Voyager in Night and much better than Hestia, but not as well as Wave without a Shore - those being her most independent early novels. And I liked Merchanter's Luck just fine - I've never been disappointed with a core Alliance book.

But, to each their own :) and I absolutely agree she's a must-read.

I like Cherryh a lot. I’m working my way through the Alliance/Union works. With only 4 to go, I’ll finish them this year. I’ve collected all 9 of the Foreigner series in my TBR collection, but haven’t started them. I’ll probably read her Gene Wars couplet before diving into the Foreigner series. So Foreigner will have to wait until next year in all likelihood, but I’m looking forward to it.

From what I gather that's a major key to Cherryh's appeal. I've got the Collected Short Fiction Of C.J. Cherryh but am yet to delve into it.

Same here. Have to get cracking.:eek:

This book sounds great! The only Cherryh I've read is Cyteen which I actually read for my speculative fiction english course in the last year of high school, but which I quite enjoyed. I hardly ever read SF, so thanks for the review.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! :eek: :D

The atevi are more than funny-looking humans, although perhaps not a lot more different from ourselves than were, say, medieval Japanese.

This occurred to me as well and on several occasions whilst reading Foreigner I've thought back to when I read Shogun and the similarities in the situation.

I attempted to read this book for the first time last year but gave up about a hundred pages in because I wasn't in the mood. I was finding all the introspection a little tedious. Then last week I got the urge to read some Cherryh so decided to give it another go (probably nudged by the fact that I'd bought the first three books in the series and they were sitting on the shelf glaring at me). I've got about 40 pages left to read, so it goes without saying I've enjoyed it much more this time around, particularly the tight viewpoint which has got me inside Bren's head, not knowing who to trust (not that 'trust' translates into atevi . . . ) or who's trying to kill him, or why. I do find there's a lot of repetition in it, a lot of him going over the same thoughts again and again, and on another occasion I might find it irritating, but it's part of what makes his paranoia work, I feel. I will go on to read at least the second book.

I'm now up to volume 13 - and it's got the problem I suspect will always be there in multi-sequel works. In order to bring somebody who might start with volume twelve aboard, there have to be increasing numbers of explanations of what has already transpired in previous tomes, just to make the story comprehensible at all. To the steadily increasing annoyance of he who has been there from the start, and who wants to get on with the story.

Although I can see the logic to the cuts from volume to volume I suspect the series would have been better edited a little tighter (and severely regret it not being available on Kindle - it's taking up a huge amount of my shelving).

(and severely regret it not being available on Kindle - it's taking up a huge amount of my shelving).

I can see that problem creeping up on me, too.

Further to my post up-thread (nearly a year ago . . . blimey), I'm now halfway through the fifth book, Defender. I've gone from struggling to get through the first book to now loving them and eagerly awaiting my next trip to the atevi world (I'm trying not to read them too close together in case I burn out on them). I don't know whether it is me getting used to the style, or Cherryh refining her chosen style for this series, but since book two onwards I've found them a much easier and very engaging read. Book six already purchased on the shelf, ready to go.

I can see that problem creeping up on me, too.

Further to my post up-thread (nearly a year ago . . . blimey), I'm now halfway through the fifth book, Defender. I've gone from struggling to get through the first book to now loving them and eagerly awaiting my next trip to the atevi world (I'm trying not to read them too close together in case I burn out on them). I don't know whether it is me getting used to the style, or Cherryh refining her chosen style for this series, but since book two onwards I've found them a much easier and very engaging read. Book six already purchased on the shelf, ready to go.
Cherryh will do that to you. My own opinion is that part of it is that you begin to understand the world a little better, as well as Cherryh making the plots less convoluted.

I've gone from struggling to get through the first book to now loving them and eagerly awaiting my next trip to the atevi world (I'm trying not to read them too close together in case I burn out on them). I don't know whether it is me getting used to the style, or Cherryh refining her chosen style for this series, but since book two onwards I've found them a much easier and very engaging read. Book six already purchased on the shelf, ready to go.

And she's up to number 17 now. She's one of my favorite authors and I've read much of her work. But I stopped the Foreigner series after 4 or 5 of them. Just lost interest. But it seems to be her benchmark project these days, so maybe I should consider a restart. My favorite part was the role of the Dowager.

And she's up to number 17 now. She's one of my favorite authors and I've read much of her work. But I stopped the Foreigner series after 4 or 5 of them.

To date I've only read the first five of this series, the Faded Sun Trilogy, and Downbelow Station, so I'm curious to know which of her works you would recommend over and above these :)

To date I've only read the first five of this series, the Faded Sun Trilogy, and Downbelow Station, so I'm curious to know which of her works you would recommend over and above these :)

Shamelessly lifted from Wikipedia, these are ones I would recommend off the top of my head anyway. You may like many of her other works, but these were ones I enjoyed, aside from what you've already read:

The Era of Rapprochement

The Chanur novels

• The Pride of Chanur (1981) – Hugo and Locus SF Award nominee, 1983[8]
  • Chanur's Venture (1984) – Locus SF Award nominee, 1985[9]
  • The Kif Strike Back (1985)
    • The Chanur Saga (2000) – single-volume edition of the above three books
  • Chanur's Homecoming (1986)
  • Chanur's Legacy (1992)
The Age of Exploration

These novels share a common theme, but are unrelated to each other and can be read in any order.
  • Cuckoo's Egg (1985) – Hugo Award nominee, 1986 also published in The Deep Beyond (2005) omnibus

Finisterre universe

Rider at the Gate (1995)
Cloud's Rider (1996)

Gene Wars

Hammerfall (2001) – Campbell Award nominee, 2002
Forge of Heaven (2004)

I've not read Cherryh I've not enjoyed, although I have to psych myself up before I read one because I know they will be dense and require concentration. I'd say the ordinary S.F. novel could be compared to a 7th grade science text, and Cherryh could be compared to an entry level College Physics text. Neither would be impenetrable, but one clearly more challenging and more rewarding.

Bugg, I would say that you've picked some fine examples. I would underline the Chanur novels and Alliance Space. I also rather enjoyed Cyteen.*

*An amusing ditty (at least to me) by Cherryh about Cyteen. Although Cyteen's MC is indeed a teenager it has some very adult themes. Cherryh said that she remembers running after some younger readers and their mothers to tell them that this was decidedly not a Young Adult novel. --- On reflection, I wonder what she would have said about The Hunger Games.

Happily, I have some of these on my shelf already: Cyteen, the Alliance Space omnibus (Merchanter's Luck and Forty Thousand in Gehenna), plus I have Rimrunners as well. The Chanur novels were on my radar when I first decided to try her work again (I read Downbelow Station back in the 80s but had not read any others until two or three years ago), but I went with the Faded Sun Trilogy at the time. I'll seek them out again.

Thank you, both :)

ETA: I've also been reading through Jo Walton's Cherryh re-read posts over on Tor (after I've read the books in question): http://www.tor.com/features/series/c-j-cherryh-reread/

Last edited:
I’ve been reading book two, Invader. There’s been no invading yet, and I’m 415 pages into a 450 page book.

This starts off reasonably brightly, and has some action, though not that much, in the first 100 pages or so. Given the first in the series was highly enjoyable and quite action packed, I figured this must be leading up to a more thrilling book over time. I was wrong, unfortunately.

Reading the book has gone from slow but reasonably interesting in the first 100 pages, to slower and less interesting in the next 200, to a reading experience akin to wading uphill through thick mud with a gorilla on your back over the last 100. I have 40 pages to go and can’t be sure I can be bothered to finish it. This has become the most boring SF book I’ve ever read. Which is a real shame as the premise and set up for the plot is great and full of potential. Unfortunately Cherryh kills it with page after interminable page of leaden introspection and irrelevant detail.

I would agree @Bick that "Invader" was a bit leaden. As the series goes on it gets more interest and filled with activity again, but of course it's written by Cherryh and she does not do action story fiction. She does psychologically insightful fiction. In my opinion when it comes to aliens and their motivation in acting she has no peers.