Deadhouse Gates

*******SPOILERS*******

Why did Felisin become Sha'ik and how did it happen? When I read the part it was like all of a sudden she is now Sha'Ik and no explanation of how she got there or why it happened.
How do you mean? It's more a title than anything else. I mean, she gets kinda linked to Dryjhna, but not much else.

On the other hand, you actually said Goodkind was better, so I'm taking away your reader's card and burning it. Have a nice day :)

Well if I knew she was linked to Dryjhna then it would have made sense (who is Dryjhna anyway?). I did not say Goodkind is a better writer I meant that his WFR had a story that felt like it had more spark/heart/soul for me. I am not trying to offend anyone here just voicing my opinion. A lot of people seem very touchy about the whole Erikson Goodkind thing, after giving DG a chance I feel that some of the other "unliked" writers actually have more heart and soul in there books, I am sorry but I just could not feel it in this book. Just to let you know these are just books nothing to actually get worked up about.

Last edited:
Dryjhna is the goddess of the Apocalypse. Of which considerable more is revealed in House of Chains but I guess you'll miss out on that now:)

But there was me thinking they were real life stories. Thanks for the heads up :rolleyes:

Clearly I need to work on conveying tone... the smiley faces were supposed to be a hint - no offence, just sad at your loss.

Well, other than the Goodkind bizarreness and the last sentance of your previous post, hence the sarcasm.

No problem :) I am going to give MoI a shot but started Pandora's Star by Hamilton, looks good so far. Maybe I was just trying to read DG too fast, do you know where I can get a chapter by chapter summary of DG?. Also that is the longest book I ever read and I did stop half way through it and read other stuf for a few months, I guess I should be to blame coz I most probably forgot the story (but I still do like Goodkind though no matter what others say) :)

Well, a load of guys from the malazan forum have been working on an encyclopedia, but Gardens of the Moon and Midnight Tides are the only ones so far with chapter summaries I'm afraid :(

The first time I read DHG I found it difficult, but I loved every minute, Now just finished rereading it and was astounded by how much I'd missed first time around, or how much more is there once you've read the rest of the series.

Last month I reread GOTM and that was a useful excercise and enjoyable too but nothing close to this I am in total awe and DHG is my way ahead favourite again, Ive even started accidentally swearing at the kids in Malazan. ( Its actually quite fun - Hood's breath - Try it today;))

I usually I find a second read deadens some of the emotional stuff but not with this book I'm blown away, Im going to try to fit in MOI and HOC again before ToTH hits paperback.

Maybe I should do that sometime, re-read the series that is. I am a slow reader so MoI will probably take me a month or 6 weeks to read so re-reading for me will be only in a few years time as I also would like to read a whole bunch of other books and not get bogged down by one author.

Is MoI also a bit of a difficult read as I found DHG difficult, not as hard as GoTM but enough to confuse me about certain characters?

Nah mate. I personally found MoI to be a far easier read than DhG. There is so much happening in that book that it'll hook you in right away without feeling like you are slowing down at all which was something I found with DhG especially with the Felisin/Heboric story line.

In MoI, all different story lines are equally interesting and also this is where finally some explanations about different things come into play so I think you'll find it a lot easier.

But at the end, because the ending is so powerful and the series finally catches up with you due to its sheer vastness, I had to take a break which is what I am doing and intend to continue further with the series in about a month or two.

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. Holly cr#$, what a good read! But it quite substantial at some 925 pages or so. It took me while longer than most other books do.

Kalam, Duiker, Coltaine, Fiddler and Baudin were by far my favourites in the book.

I'm not sure how I feel about Laseen after reading this book.

Anyway, I bought Memories of Ice but I am taking a break as I have some 5 other books I want to read and that have been put on hold while I get through DhG.

Laseen is a really interesting character, because you never see anything from her point of view, only the points of view of those around her...

IMO I think DG is better than GoTM. Dont get me wrong, both books are great, but DG has the upper hand. The chain of dogs is amazing, coupled with the fascinating settings of the deserts with ancient long gone civilizations in the odhans made me love this book.

oh yea..karsa orlong is a beast!!!

After going through this thread, I feel I am in the minority because I enjoyed Gardens of the Moon more than Deadhouse Gates. I didn't really enjoy Felisin's storyline, or that of Duiker and Coltaine. I am hoping that Memories of Ice gets back to more of the characters from GOTM, but I need a little break before picking that one up.

After going through this thread, I feel I am in the minority because I enjoyed Gardens of the Moon more than Deadhouse Gates. I didn't really enjoy Felisin's storyline, or that of Duiker and Coltaine. I am hoping that Memories of Ice gets back to more of the characters from GOTM, but I need a little break before picking that one up.

Yep, there were some really annoying characters in DHG, but my problem with GotM was that for half the book I didn't know who was who. It's a book that needs a re-read and at the time when i actually get the chance to read it, my estimation of GotM will probably rise.

Enjoy Memories of Ice, it'll blow your socks off:D

SPOILERS ABOUNDING BELOW...

Felisin is annoying, but then again, if you were ripped from your home, had all your clothes ripped off in front of thousands of people, were forced into slavery, repeatedly raped (whether it was passively resisted or not is irrelevant, as she didn't really have a choice, or at least so she thought), then you'd probably have a few character flaws too. This being said, had she only listened to Heboric and Baudin...

I think Duiker was an amazing character.

I still find the ending of DHG wrong, at least after Coltaine departs on the wings of all those ravens...I found the likelihood of any troops following that general to what they knew to be certain death was extreme. Had that been a Roman army, the general would have accidentally fallen down some stairs before the gates opened. Also, that general had stayed locked up behind those walls for so long, and not come out to support Coltaine, only to come out and get his troops slaughtered, while he knew a relieving force was on its way from Quon Tali??? Just didn't make sense to me. The senior officers should've offed the guy, and his crooked advisor. Much more likely ending.

The rest of the book was awesome, though.

SPOILERS ABOUNDING BELOW...

Felisin is annoying, but then again, if you were ripped from your home, had all your clothes ripped off in front of thousands of people, were forced into slavery, repeatedly raped (whether it was passively resisted or not is irrelevant, as she didn't really have a choice, or at least so she thought), then you'd probably have a few character flaws too. This being said, had she only listened to Heboric and Baudin...

I think Duiker was an amazing character.

I still find the ending of DHG wrong, at least after Coltaine departs on the wings of all those ravens...I found the likelihood of any troops following that general to what they knew to be certain death was extreme. Had that been a Roman army, the general would have accidentally fallen down some stairs before the gates opened. Also, that general had stayed locked up behind those walls for so long, and not come out to support Coltaine, only to come out and get his troops slaughtered, while he knew a relieving force was on its way from Quon Tali??? Just didn't make sense to me. The senior officers should've offed the guy, and his crooked advisor. Much more likely ending.

The rest of the book was awesome, though.

Maybe they followed Pormqual out of shame? a bit over the top i know.

Pomqual must be one of the worst characters in Dead House Gates!

Just finished re-reading it, meeting old friends, especially the Bridgeburners. I still can't help feeling so sorry for what Icarim and Mappo were going through.

I finished GoTM a few months ago with mixed thoughts. After buying Deadhouse Gates shortly after, I read a few pages and then just let it sit on my bookshelf. I really wanted to read and like the book (and the series), but I guess after reading GoTM I just wasn't that "hooked."

I've kept hearing good things about the books since, so I decided to pick up DG again. I'm only 200ish pages in and can already tell I will like this one a lot more. I honestly don't want to put it down. In general, the writing seems much better, although it may just be that the first book accustomed me to his writing style.

Is this normal? Hopefully I will enjoy the rest of the series as much as I have DG. Like I said, I was very weary after GoTM, but am very glad that I continued.

Hopefully I won't be too disappointed later. :)