Book Club

ratsy

I didn't realize there was a book club here. I finally see it and now you don't do it anymore. Is there any way we can get this back up and running? I for one think it is a great idea. It gets people to maybe read some authors they normally wouldn't read. What do you say...time for a comeback?

We've tried it several times, and in several different ways, and what we found out was that very few of our members are willing to read books they wouldn't normally read.

Also, a lot of people would nominate and vote for a certain book and then not even show up for the discussion.

If you can think of a way to make it work that hasn't been tried already ... well, it might be considered. But the thing is, the last time we started it, it was because a lot of brand-new members agitated for it, and then were never seen again. It would need the support of people who post here on a regular basis or it would just die again.

I guess that makes enough sense. A lot of people have a hard enough time scheduling what the really want to read into their busy lives. If I can think of any amazing way to make it happen I will post it. And on that note I am going to bed to read before I sleep!

I'm always willing for book clubs, but a problem I've had before is that hardly anyone actually put in suggestions to read a certain book.

I'm always eager to read new books.

To quote Teresa, from four posts up:

Teresa Edgerton said:
We've tried it several times, and in several different ways, and what we found out was that very few of our members are willing to read books they wouldn't normally read.

Also, a lot of people would nominate and vote for a certain book and then not even show up for the discussion.

If you can think of a way to make it work that hasn't been tried already ... well, it might be considered. But the thing is, the last time we started it, it was because a lot of brand-new members agitated for it, and then were never seen again. It would need the support of people who post here on a regular basis or it would just die again.

Well I'm always up for trying something different, and a book club would be a good way for those of us who have yet to fully broaden our horizons to the sunny shores of all that fantasy and sci-fi can offer. Perhaps have someone with a good knowledge of a particular series (and with a burning desire to re-read it) would want to lead a group of people new to that series through the books. There are quite a few threads of "what should I read next?" - this is a natural answer to that.

Just a (very predictable) suggestion. I'm up for whatever, although I am planning to pick up the starting books for The Wars of Light and Shadow or ASOIAF. Are those books too big for a book club? Also, if anyone wants to go through the Discworld books, there are still a few I have yet to read :p

Last edited:
And nothing for months...I might be willing to try to, but in a place like this it would obviously have be VERY informal. We tried to form a novel discussion group here in our church...got 3 takers. We seem to be a saddly "under-read" socioty lately.