K J Parker

Pyan

Quaero verum in libris
Staff member
Supporter
Just acquired Colours in the Steel and Belly of the Bow by the above author.

A search of the Chrons was inconclusive - anyone out there have any opinions?

i tried Colours in the steel a few years ago but i guess i wasn't all that interested in fantasy at the time (whut???) - it didn't leave much of an impression. i seem to remember that everything was extremely well written, well researched, and realistic. perhaps i should revisit them too - don't take this as a negative opinion on them....

On the whole, I enjoyed the Fencer trilogy, though I thought the first was the best. The second contained too many armies behaving in very convenient ways and the third just got so dark... Don't get too attached to many of the central characters, Pyan, that's all I'm saying!

Oh gods, not another GRRM, I hope...:rolleyes::D

No. Parker is far worse than GRRM at killing off central characters, but not as bad as Paul Kearney (although her writing skills aren't as good as either, but she's still decent).

Martin's DwD is scheduled to be out in 2013.:rolleyes::mad:

Only according to someone at Amazon having a laugh (and they still haven't changed it despite several requests, possibly wisely given how many dates have been broken so far). The book is currently scheduled for the first week of April 2009, but who knows?

No. Parker is far worse than GRRM at killing off central characters, but not as bad as Paul Kearney (although her writing skills aren't as good as either, but she's still decent).

You might be right, Werthead... But just one point -- despite the odd misleading clue to the contrary, Parker is definitely male.

And no, Pyan, not anytime soon; the real culling of characters is saved pretty much for the trilogy's closing scenes.

That makes it easy then - if I get attached to any characters in particular, I'll just not get The Proof House...:D

By the way, Wikipedia is convinced that he/she is female...backed up by his/her publisher in France...

Bragelonne : K.J. Parker