K.J. Parker

Lysalis

Disremembered
Who has read one or all of K.J. Parker's series? And if yes, what do you think about his/her books?

I'm on the last 50 pages of the Scavenger trilogy. Well these books a certainly a new expierence from what I'm used in fantasy literature.
It is more on the dark side, and it is a bit demanding as it gets confusing all the time. Every time you think you know what's going on you have to realise that you're wrong, aren't you? :rolleyes:
Though what I really like is his writting style, it's very funny and is almost written chattily.

Backflap text of Shadow (first book of the scavenger trilogy):

A man wakes in the wilderness, amid scattered corpses and inquisitive crows. He has no memory of who he is or how he came to be there. The only clues to his former existence lie in his apparent skill with a sword and the fragmented dreams that permeate his sleep.

The evidence of his past must lie somewhere, but masquerading as a God in the company of the mysterious Copis seems an unlikely place to start looking. Yet as their journey leads north answers begin to emerge. Each one points to a riddle far more complex than he could ever have imagined and a truth he may not wish to believe.

Some excerpts of K.J. Parkers Books:

The man's face was bright and pink, and his hair short standing on end as if he'd just taken of his hat. Ciartan had seen more menacing objects floating in his milk; but then...

He hadn't actually been paying much attention to what the others had been saying; at least of all Chiruwa, who had a tendency to chatter away as though he was trying to use up a stock pile of words before they went stale.

That put paid to any further resistance from the sergeant, and Poldarn found himself promoted from high-security prisoner to navigator-in-chief. That was fine, the only drawback being that he didn't have more than vaque idea of the way to Basano's place, not without the annoying old man to guide him, and his sense of direction seemed to be allergic to trees in quantity.

:D

Can't say I'm a big fan After reading Fencer trilogy I didn't like this author's style at all. I do beleive it has improved saince then, so perhaps I'll reinvestigate.