Revelation Space series

My copies of Diamond Dogs and Turquoise Days (the original novellas, not the Gollancz omnibus edition) are also signed. Never managed to get the others signed - chiefly because carrying them to a signing session or a convention would be a near-Herculean task :) Oh, I also pre-ordered The Six Directions of Space from Subterranean.

A-ha. Thanks for the heads-up on that one, Ian; I'll have to chuck a pre-order request in myself - assuming there are any copies left.

Not overly enamoured of the cover, though, I have to admit...

Thanks for chrono order Werthead !

I think i will read The Prefect next. It sounded so interesting. Since it has nothing to with the main story arc i can read it and see how Reynolds improve before reading the rest of the main story arc books.

I will read Chasm City as before the other story arc books just because i like Chasm City.

Yeah, Century Rain, Pushing Ice, House of Suns and the short stories in Zima Blue all take place outside the RS universe, as will his next book, Six Directions of Space (which seems to be a novella getting a limited release from Subterrenean).

Interestingly, Zima Blue is getting a larger UK release next spring, possibly from Gollancz (will have to double-check that), with the new novel (which he's just started) following in the autumn. He's refused to comment on that other than saying it's a stand-alone, but hasn't said whether it will be set in the RS universe or not).

I made tentative inroads on the new book, which has now been scheduled for October 2009, with the UK edition of ZIMA BLUE appearing in the spring. No title as yet, and I'm not telling anyone what it's about just now, other than to say that it will be another standalone.

While Chasm City was published after Revelation Space, I understand that Chasm City is a prequel. I read Chasm City first. I liked it, but it was tough to get into in places. Although I generally have a strong preference to reading series in chronological order, I think it may be better to read these 2 in published order.

I've enjoyed his work so far Chasm City was a great story and I've only read the first three I think have chasm city and enjoyed that, I particullarly liked the Ultras the cyborg/pirate/trader/pilgrims. They raised the hairs on the back of my neck. I'm not really sure why...have to go back and read the series again.

:cool:

I've read Revelation Space and The Prefect. He's good, but not so good that I'm salivating for more. Maybe one day I'll read them in order.

I've read Revelation Space and The Prefect. He's good, but not so good that I'm salivating for more. Maybe one day I'll read them in order.

There's detail within detail in his stories. Which, in and of itself, calls for reading things more or less in order.

There are only two or three authors I like well enough to keep all their books after having read them with the idea that I may read them again. Reynolds is one of them.

I keep my copies of Reynolds' novels...

2678645077_6e19ced71e.jpg

I liked Revelation Space and now reading Chasm City. If you like Reynolds and golden era sci-fi read "Pushing Ice" - it is Reynolds' take on Clark's Rama concept.

Thats more interesting that immortal people that can refersleep and wake up as young as ever,

Heya it's been a while since I read them but I didn't think they were really kept young by refersleep so much as they were in a differenct clock because of the relitavistic effects of near light speed travel. Maybe I missed something That was one of the reasons I like Reynolds. He doesn't break the light speed barrier so there's all the mess about space travelers dealing with different clocks. Like it would take her 40 years to get back to her husband but 40 years will have passed for him by the time she got back. Anyway, I really like him so far, he brings back the wonder I felt from stories like 2001 but there's also more action. I could probably use some deeper work on character, so many seem either sad or apathetic but I'm only one book in.

I'm a great fan of the Revelation Space series. Started reading these due to Waterstones, via one of those little cards they have on book shelves with reccomendations. Have discovered quite a few books this way.

Reefersleep is a hibernation thing, slowing the ageing process down but also meaning they didn't have to spend multiple years awake on board a ship. There was also the time dilation effect, which made 4 years travel time take 40 years (or whatever the numbers where) to those remaining on planet.
Great universe, really got hold of me.

While Chasm City was published after Revelation Space, I understand that Chasm City is a prequel. I read Chasm City first. I liked it, but it was tough to get into in places. Although I generally have a strong preference to reading series in chronological order, I think it may be better to read these 2 in published order.

Chasm City is a standalone, so it doesn't really matter. I recommend reading the trilogy in one go though as the characters and storylines are fairly intertwined. You can read CC before or after the trilogy.

Reynolds actually wrote both books simultaneously, but the publishers decided that Revelation Space would have more of an impact as the first book out.

Reefersleep is a hibernation thing, slowing the ageing process down but also meaning they didn't have to spend multiple years awake on board a ship. There was also the time dilation effect, which made 4 years travel time take 40 years (or whatever the numbers where) to those remaining on planet.
Great universe, really got hold of me.

The universe is why this series is the only modern space opera i have read and liked enough to keep reading.

I dont think characterwise,hard sf wise or space opera wise that he is very good but he created an interesting U.
Hopefully he will improve on dialouge,characters in the books after the first one.

The reefersleep hopefully wont be as big part of the plot in the next books. Now the characters seem unreal to me in that they can sleep for 40 years and travel anywhere and wake up young and dont care what has happened in the last decades or even before with the last century.....

I dont think characterwise,hard sf wise or space opera wise that he is very good but he created an interesting U.
Hopefully he will improve on dialouge,characters in the books after the first one.

Keep reading Conn. The characters will grow on you. Nevil Clavain is involved in the entire series. Read "The Great Wall of Mars" in Galactic North for a good introduction to his character as well as to the Demarchist/Conjoiner dichotomy. And as you get further into the series, Scorpio (not Farscape Scorpy) is a fascinating character.

What clovis said, keep reading. The series gets better and better (although it might end a little bit suddenly).

Reefersleep isn't really a big thing in the series, just a away of making 40 years of travel go faster. There will always be a situation with them arriving somewhere and more time having passed for people on planets than on the lighthuggers.